Trust calorie estimates on treadmill?

Options
until I get a good heart rate monitor I was curious about the calorie estimates on the gym machines. I use a precor treadmill most of the time with the incline at 10-12 and I walk at 3.7 speed for 30-60 minutes. It says that I burn between 400-700 cals at those rates. Should I trust it?my friend said its usually only half of what the machine says. I weight 197, 21 yrs old, 5'6.

Replies

• AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I dont think they are really very accurate. At the gym I use a couple different treadmills depending on whats open and they all say something different. I dont normally eat my exercise calories back so it doesnt really bother me but if you are eating them back, I dont think I would trust what it says. Thats just my experience.
  • MommyLyssa
    Options
    I trust mine. Mine has an HRM on the handles- and with an incline that high, I would certainly think you might. I burn about 400 cals in the hour I am on it. (I swap from jogging to walking at different inclines)
  • sara819
    sara819 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I wondered the same on the elliptical. The trainer at my gym says not to trust it and to go by the heart montior.
  • LivyJo
    LivyJo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I wear a HRM, but in the times I forget, it seems the numbers are about the same as usual.
  • suecq09
    suecq09 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have tracked calories on my heart rate monitro and the gym equipment. I have noticed that for the treadmills, its pretty close. Where I see a huge difference is on the stationary bikes. They will say I'm burning maybe half the calories I am per my heart rate monitor. If you are using a treadmill that has a heart rate monitor and you put in your weight before you start - you'll probably be fairly close.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Are you hanging on to the heart rate monitor handles the whole time? Does it ask for your age and weight? If not, there's no way for the machine to accurately calculate your calorie burn because the machine doesn't have enough facts. However, I do find they're pretty close compared to my HRM. Cut the total the machines gives you by at least 1/3rd, if not 1/2 to be real safe.
  • Lindseysund8
    Options
    Thanks! I hang into the handles on and off and I do enter my age and weight. I think with what you guys say it's probably close but it can't hurt to underestimate a tad. Thanks!