I love cardio, it's the weights that i can't stand

Options
Hi Everyone,

Fairly new to the group (was on another site and was recommended to try this). I did well with the other site (down 15 lbs in 6 week) but they didn't really have great forums on there. So here's my problem.

I love cardio. I'll do 2 full spin classes/week and then probably 3 sessions of 60 minutes on the Eliptical. In average i'd say i burn between 3-4K calories a week (calories burned from my hrm). I know i need to add in weights or something similar, i just don't enjoy them. Any ideas out there? My wife did the 30DS and i was thinking of adding that in once or twice a week....can that take the place of weights or should i really add those in.

Thanks,

Replies

• morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I teach a Zumba toning class where we use 1-3 pound weights with cardio movements. That may be an option...:happy:
  • mangledspoon
    mangledspoon Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Not sure what 30DS is so can't answer that, but have you thought about trying Bodypump classes or instead of doing weights, do some flexibility / core work / stuff using your body weight such as pushups / situps / planks etc?? I find those more fun.
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals? If you want to add mass then yes you should add them and focus on compound exercises before introducing isolation exercises. Why do you hate them? I'm not a fan of cardio and would much rather do weight lifting instead...feels amazing how the blood rushes through your veins with the tingle of adrenaline running up your spine.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    while losing weight it is very important to do strength training, if not done you will lose muscle as you lose fat, strength training will help retain the current muscle you do have while losing fat.
  • gates1064
    gates1064 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Try kettlebell and ropes.
  • chchchangess
    Options
    I'm the exact same way! >_< I can never talk myself into doing weights, but I'll stay on the elliptical for over an hour.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    You really only need body weight compound movements - squats, push ups, pull ups, planks - to keep your muscles in check.

They can be done in 15 mins ;) Youtube them and just do them after your cardio class? Or is it weights before cardio, I can never remember.... :bigsmile:
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Weights aren't that bad once you start to do it. Yes, you will be sore initially but, the benefits to strength training is just as important as cardio especially the older we get.
  • doornumber03
    doornumber03 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have thought about zumba, but it's really not my thing
    Mangle, 30DS is 30 day shread -- I'm thinknig that might be a good option
    PB -- My goal really is to just keep consistently losing weight until i'm around 190....right now i'm still 212 or so. I do want to tone up a bit once i lose it, but it's not a priority right now ---- although i guess it really should be. As far as why i don't like the weights, couldn't really tell you....The cardio i like because i'm in front of the tv on the eliptical, the spinning i like because it's a group, but the weights just have always been my downfall. I'm sure me not knowing much about weights is part of it
  • Erdfisch
    Erdfisch Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hmm, if it is the entertainment (TV, group, ..) you miss when doing weights - then have you ever tried listening to an audio-book during your exercise? It works great for me, time flies whenever I concentrate on an exciting story. :smile: Oh and it even helps when doing dishes :wink:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Weights tone you and they burn calories long after you have finished exercising.

There is nothing better than pushing for that last rep or upping your weights.
  • havingitall
    Options
    And if you need to look at something while you are working out...check out the guys!
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    OMG I LOVE lifting weights, could do it til the cows come home. I don't hate cardio but I have my limit. Whereas with weights, I love seeing the muscle definition and it has realy helped my inches weight loss, not necessarily a scale victory but definately an inches victory. I hate being girly also and love being in amongst the guys. I push myself quite hard.

Our spin class was 45 mins but they changed it to 30mins spin/30mon tone class with weights which I love. Maybe you could do something like this?
  • doornumber03
    doornumber03 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    havingtall, checking out guys would be ok, but i'm a straight guy :-)...Guess i should add that picture on my thread.
    Some really good ideas about adding in the weights. Maybe the cowbells will be an idea. Anyone have a good workout they stick to with them?
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    P90X. :)

Its Weight lifting in a circuit training style. Fun, entertaining, fast paced - so you don't get bored, and a series of DVDs to watch. So lots of variety to minimize the boring factor. Of course this is assuming you want to work out at home. And workout alone.

You will get results, and its a decent introduction to the world of weight lifting - so you can use the series to get started. Then if you choose later, you can branch out creating your own lifting routine, that works for you. P90X is a pretty "guy friendly" program. Not dancey or "girly", very effective, if you apply yourself.

The program is a bit pricey, but they have payment plan options. And our set is 5 years old, and we use it over and over and over. So it has paid for itself many many times. It is pretty scratched up though. :)

You should get a pull up bar (you can pick a door frame one at Amazon.com or Walmart), and I personally prefer using dumbbells. But you can do the program with resistance bands.

Most workouts are about an hour, to a an hr and 15 min a day. I personally skip the yoga, which is longer. But lots of people like it. (Bores me silly though) To each his own.

My husband and I both do it. Lift heavy weights (dumbells), and you will see/feel results. Watch diet, (not to low on calories) and get enough protein. (more then MFP recommends)

Adding weight lifting to your cardio, will help you tighten much faster. lose inches faster, and enable your body to burn more calories all day long - rather then only while exercising. Lifting combined with cardio really gives you better overall fitness, and weight loss, and muscle improvement - then cardio only.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I really don't like using weights. I find it boring and if I am not engaged, I won't do it. The key is to find something you will enjoy.

I started doing a pilates mat class: instead of using weights, you use your own body weight for resistance. I am really getting stronger and more toned, and I actually look forward to my classes!
  • kmorrison21
    kmorrison21 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Suck it up. :)

I HATED lifting weights, but found what worked for me, which was BodyPump.. I needed someone to tell me to what to do, keep me entertained, and the group atmosphere (it's a lot easier to quit and go get a cheeseburger when you're alone). ;)

But i stuck with it, kept showing up, and then one day not long after, i looked in the mirror and saw some definition in my arms / shoulders.. and it was an incredible feeling.

It got more incredible when i continuously kept feeling the need to increase my weight, little by little - strength is sexy. :) I love feeling strong, and the toning is so vital to most of our goals!

Find something you (sort of ) enjoy and keep doing it until you see results. There's SO many options, for both at home and the gym.

don't rob yourself, strength training in addition to your cardio is the good stuff.. the results and the confidence are worth the pushing through. ;)
  • havingitall
    Options
    havingtall, checking out guys would be ok, but i'm a straight guy :-)...Guess i should add that picture on my thread.
    Some really good ideas about adding in the weights. Maybe the cowbells will be an idea. Anyone have a good workout they stick to with them?

Oops sorry... then check out the women. Take some dumb bells on the treadmill and do curls, presses etc while doing your stuff on the treadmill...works on the exercise bike too.

If your are a guy, the getting some definition is probably one of your goals.....weights are the way to do that!
  • dkueter94
    Options
    I'm certainly not a fitness trainer, but I think using the weights really help you burn more calories and tone up a lot faster then without. I am just using the 3lbs weights with the shred, but some of those repetitive moves, my arms and shoulders are BURNING like crazy and I'm crying for the 30 seconds to be over!! You can do it! It's worth it!