How do you keep from snacking in the evenings?

Options
2»

Replies

• emrj0810
    emrj0810 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Get your husband one of these and the permission to taze you whenever you snack....sure that will straighten you out ;)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwa2MUqCR9W8ara3aOeibd7KO5AlbdcPSlRLFAyrxE1mv21yjIYA

Bahaha! I need this for my husband!!! :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I pre-plan my snacking.
  • livnlite
    livnlite Posts: 520
    Options
    There could be a few underlying factors regarding cravings or an insatiable need to snack. If it's carbs that you crave, then you may be suffering from carb addiction.

Old habits are also hard to break. Have you ever or do you know of anyone who has every tried to quit smoking? They will tell you that they had to not only stop lighting up a cigarette, but they may also have had to change their regular routine. For instance, their early morning smoke may be accompanied by their 1st cup of coffee in the day. Coincidentally, after they quit smoking, their worst craving for a cig is during that first sit down with a cup of coffee in the morning. If they change the coffee routine, to a different time, or have a different type of drink in the morning their craving lightens up.

You may find that if you change your regular routine, in the evening, your cravings will also lighten up.

Just a suggestion .. it may be worth a try.

My worst time for cravings or feeling the need to feed is when I am sitting watch TV in the evening. We have always been a family that snacks the evening. Chips, pop, popcorn, cheese and crackers ..you name it. We have been trying to break that habit... but, I keep hearing a little imaginary voice saying ... "I want chips ... I want chips .. You know you need to go to the store and buy us some chips, You know you wanna!"

I find if I go for a walk. or keep myself busy doing something (like cleaning out a closet or even my fridge, work in my office, or even play on the Internet), I can pass the time quickly and that craving will subside, then later I can sit and watch TV for a while before bed without having to deal with that tiny little evil imaginary image of a bag of potato chips dancing in front of me and taunting me to JUST HAVE ONE! When I get up to go and do my task of choice, I kick that little bastid to the curb as I walk by!

That'll show 'im.
  • chchchangess
    Options
    baby carrots and 100 calorie bag of popcorns are lifesavers for me.
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    Plain greek yogurt w/ 2 TBS 25% less sugar nestle's quick stirred into it. 140 calories, 15 grams of protein---satisfies my sweet tooth and all that protein keeps me FULL till bedtime. If it's a non-hunger related munchie attack that I just can't run from, I do air popped popcorn. I can much until my jaws are too tire to chew on about 130 calories.

And I think snacking is fine as long as you plan for it.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    there is nothing wrong with snacking in the evening, just make sure you leave some calories to allow for the snacks.

^^^^THIS.

I snack in the evening as long as I have the calories available to me. I try to choose wisely (smart pop 100 calorie popcorn, Special K Cracker Chips, almonds or peanuts, etc.), but I leave myself enough calories to have a snack.

If you don't have the calories available, try some hot tea (I use flavored teas by Celestial Seasonings). That sometimes will satisfy my craving, especially for something sweet. I also sit and play solitaire on my laptop to keep my hands busy!
  • hhawes
    Options
    Now that is smart - Ithink I will do that! It's like budget your calories for the evening -
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I leave calories for night time snacking. I am a big late night eater. I could never stop.
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Try and Up your protein at dinner time. Also make sure you have drank lots of water. If those both were in place, then eat! Almonds, peanutbutter, protein shake, fruit, hummus and veggies, popcorn, rice cakes (salty though) were my faves when counting calories. I am doing low carb right now, so my fave snack is jalepeno almonds.