protein at breakfast

Options
do any of you try to eat the 30g protein for breakfast. The last time I dieted...(what a sad phrase) the Dr. told met something like eat 30 grams protein for breakfast and maybe 10g of carbs. Honestly I don't exactly remember and wonder if it is worth remembering....

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Nah it really doesn't matter. Protein is more filling so it helps you stay full during the day
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter much I don't think, though I try to save mine till post-workout, when it'll do the most good.
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I manage about 11 g on most days with every time and again having a higher day when I have more time to make breakfast. My morning shakes only have 11g.

Starting on new breakfast next week which I hope will up the protein.
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I add whey protein to my morning shake, because some protein is a good thing in the morning, and helps keep me full 'til lunchtime.
  • Moms3Kwa
    Options
    I was told by so called "experts" that your body can only absorb or take so many grams of protein at one time and that 25g was to much. True or False. When you get advice from friends everyone claims to be an "expert".
  • ktfitzgerald
    ktfitzgerald Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I try to get 20 grams at breakfast because I work out before breakfast. But I've noticed that more protein at breakfast helps me stay satisfied until lunch time.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    My morning shakes have anywhere from 15-25 g of protein / 5 net carbs or less (based on brand / size). I am not usually hungry at lunch if I drink a whole shake for breakfast. It seems to work well enough. My Dr wants me to get 30-50 g of protein per day. BUT every Dr is different. You have to find what works for your body.

Good luck
    Options
    I was told by so called "experts" that your body can only absorb or take so many grams of protein at one time and that 25g was to much. True or False. When you get advice from friends everyone claims to be an "expert".

False

From Alan Aragon:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    An egg, a piece of cheese, a little peanut butter on toast, a slice of bacon or ham, yoghurt - all good breakfast proteins, without which I wouldn't get through the day. Except for the peanut butter, 30g of any of these is pretty easy to achieve, and is probably what your doctor meant, rather than 30g of pure protein.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    No. You don't need that much protein at one meal. A good bowl of oatmeal will stick to your ribs or you may be a 5-6 meal a day person in order to not get hungry frequently. Do what feels right for you. Give anything you try 4-5 days to see how it works. I am most likely to have my am snack, miss my pm snack, evening snack varies.
    As far as dividing up nutrients 30F/30P/40C Fat/Protein/Carbs is sort of standard. Short changing fats is bad for you as keeping your HDL up is even better for your heart than lower LDL (lousy cholesterol). Plus is helps your skin, hair and fat based vitamins need fat to be absorbed.
  • lrichardson2360
    lrichardson2360 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I find if I eat more protein and a little carbs in the morning then I don't crave the junk all day.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Nvm.
  • shaycg21
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I failed to put she said it really boosts your metabolism. I have to admit I fail to take care of myself so any breakfast at my stage will be doing good!! Babysteps!!

You are probably right orpheus_chick
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    No, I don't. I have the same thing for breakfast on weekdays (work days) and that is a glass of chocolate soy milk. It has 7 g protein and 10 g carbs.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    No. You don't need that much protein at one meal. A good bowl of oatmeal will stick to your ribs or you may be a 5-6 meal a day person in order to not get hungry frequently. Do what feels right for you. Give anything you try 4-5 days to see how it works. I am most likely to have my am snack, miss my pm snack, evening snack varies.
    As far as dividing up nutrients 30F/30P/40C Fat/Protein/Carbs is sort of standard. Short changing fats is bad for you as keeping your HDL up is even better for your heart than lower LDL (lousy cholesterol). Plus is helps your skin, hair and fat based vitamins need fat to be absorbed.

oatmeal does nothing for me. i need a good amount of protein in the morning to keep from being hungry
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I failed to put she said it really boosts your metabolism. I have to admit I fail to take care of myself so any breakfast at my stage will be doing good!! Babysteps!!

It does absolutely nothing for your metabolism unfortunately >.<
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    I eat high protein and lower carbs, til supper then I eat carbs before bed.
  • d2footballJRC
    Options

No but higher protein/lower carbs leads to your body burning fat stores instead of carbs that you give it for quick energy.

Protein doesn't hurt your metabolism either though. Eating a bunch of carbs early on you are giving your body those to burn instead of fat stores.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

No but higher protein/lower carbs leads to your body burning fat stores instead of carbs that you give it for quick energy.

How so?
  • d2footballJRC
    Options

How so?

Your body has to have energy/calories to burn. A lot of the plans call for lower carbs up front for that reason becasue carbs provide the easiest energy to burn up first.

It's why body for life, and some of the fasting diets take that approach from reading about them.