Strange Weight Increase

Options
Very strange weekend for my weight. I recently dropped 10lbs and I have been watching my calorie intake religiously. I'm on track to lose 2lbs per week plus I'm exercising on top of that. Anyway, over the weekend I had my son so exercising was not really an option.On Saturday, I had a birthday party for a friend that I attended and I went over my normal calorie intake by a few hundred calories. I weighed myself the next day and my weight had increased by 5lbs. Checked it again this morning and I was still around the 5lbs mark. What gives???

Replies

• skemery
    skemery Posts: 100
    Options
    Fluid retention. Drink plenty of water and it will start to come off.
  • Steph4454
    Steph4454 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Could be water weight, where any of the foods you ate salty? Most party food is! I'd try some water with lemon (natural diuretic) and see what the next couple days bring. If you're sore, your muscles are also holding water. Good luck!
  • Moms3Kwa
    Options
    In regards to calorie intake-Was there a lot of sodium? Could you retaining water? Just throwing a few things out there.
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Could be water weight, where any of the foods you ate salty? Most party food is! I'd try some water with lemon (natural diuretic) and see what the next couple days bring. If you're sore, your muscles are also holding water. Good luck!

Some salt. Chips and Salsa. Mostly wine
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    Options
    Fluid retention. Drink plenty of water and it will start to come off.
    I've been drinking a ton of water lately. I'm hitting the gym tonight and I have a feeling a good run will help.
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    Options
    BTW, I'm not a newbie and I am not seeing anything relevant in the post you sent me.
  • LJGmom
    LJGmom Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i had the same thing last week, gained 4lbs, without ever going over calories, and exercising every day. I am losing about 1/2 pound a day the last 3 days. I had started a new workout program and had some soreness (not bad, just new muscles) and i think i was retaining water. It is pretty depressing though isnt it? Just drink extra water, and keep going!
  • debswebby
    Options
    alcohol stays sloshing around your system for at least 72 hours (a slimming club leader told me once). That and party snacks would show a high TEMPORARY gain. When I've been out drinking I wouldn't weigh myself till 3 days later - give everything a chance to settle down. I'm a once a week weigher though and on a Friday so by the time weigh day comes around again, I've done my best to work off the weekend :flowerforyou:
  • Fatbuttsexy
    Options
    You are I am sure aware that muscle weighs heavier than fat...and also that the rest time you took gave time for your muscles to 'repair'...so maybe a bit of everything...
    Good luck with getting back on track and whilst you are training well remember your body weight is not as important as your body shape in where you are at ....
  • codycaca1
    codycaca1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    This happened to me after the Canadian thanksgiving. I went over my calorie intake by one day and drank a few glasses of wine and BAM the next time I weighed myself I was up 6 lbs. It took me about a week or so of exercise and clean eating to get back to normal...
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    BTW, I'm not a newbie

Then don't worry about temporary weight gains (it's still temporary if it's only been two days) after a change in your diet. If it's still there after 2 weeks then worry about it.
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    Options
    BTW, I'm not a newbie

Then don't worry about temporary weight gains (it's still temporary if it's only been two days) after a change in your diet. If it's still there after 2 weeks then worry about it.
    Just feels like a setback and I've worked so hard lately.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Just feels like a setback and I've worked so hard lately.

It does suck, I can completely relate. Try as much as possible not to let it get it to you. One pitfall isn't going to ruin everything you've worked for, just like one really good day isn't going to suddenly skyrocket you to where you need to be. You'll get back on track.

One suggestion I would go by is to avoid weighing yourself right after something like that. If you weigh-in every day, skip a few days, every week, skip the next week. Work hard and give yourself time to get the temporary gain of before going back to it. I do that for unexpected splurges, not for scheduled refeeds and such.
  • ChristinaK42
    Options
    not a setback and this is temporary. It will take a couple of days for your fluids to balance out. doesn't take much to put on 5 lbs. of water. especially if your body is not use to the foods and wine you consumed.
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    Options
    not a setback and this is temporary. It will take a couple of days for your fluids to balance out. doesn't take much to put on 5 lbs. of water. especially if your body is not use to the foods and wine you consumed.

I haven't been drinking wine as of late but it's not uncommon for me to casually drink a day out of the week. I usually drink rum and diet coke or beer.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

^ This.