thyroid or adrenal problems

Options
Has anyone been tested for these things? I've never been able to lose weight (10 years now) and I'm just now going to a doctor to see if my hormones or thyroid may be causing all this trouble. I haven't been to a doctor for a check-up or annual before and was thinking maybe this isn't my fault. Found out at my last Gyno appt. that i have cyst on ovary, but not sure if it's pcos. I've seen a nutritionist for 6 months and she said she was very sorry but couldn't seem to find a pattern. I was eating anywhere from 1000 to 1400 with and without exercising and I had no control over my body! Six months and I never lost more than 3 pounds and now I'm gaining on the recommended 1 pound a week loss amount of calories (1340). Any ideas or input would be appreciated.

Replies

• danicat
    danicat Posts: 3
    Options
    Has anyone been tested for these things? I've never been able to lose weight (10 years now) and I'm just now going to a doctor to see if my hormones or thyroid may be causing all this trouble. I haven't been to a doctor for a check-up or annual before and was thinking maybe this isn't my fault. Found out at my last Gyno appt. that i have cyst on ovary, but not sure if it's pcos. I've seen a nutritionist for 6 months and she said she was very sorry but couldn't seem to find a pattern. I was eating anywhere from 1000 to 1400 with and without exercising and I had no control over my body! Six months and I never lost more than 3 pounds and now I'm gaining on the recommended 1 pound a week loss amount of calories (1340). Any ideas or input would be appreciated.
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Sounds like maybe you need more calories than you were told you need.... If you ate 1000 cals and exercised, you were seriously on starvation mode. Sounds counter-intuitive but you have to experiment and see what your body needs. Try eating 1400-1500 cals, and eat back all your exercise cals, for 3 weeks. See what happens with your weight. If you gain when eating more cals, it might be because you were on starvation mode before. Then continue for another 5 weeks and see what happens.... Or eat the 1340 you've been told and wait 5 weeks and see if your body resets itself and you start losing.

ETA I see you want to lose 18 pounds, but how much do you weigh? This will be the hardest weight to lose as your body wants to hold onto any fat you have. How tall are you?
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    As a person who had thyroid problems it can be a trial to lose weight. So I would wait to see what the doctor says about your thyroid or any other medical problems you may have. If you do have a thyroid problem, you should have no trouble losing weight when it is corrected. You may also consider getting your BMR tested. But your thyroid and other tests should come first.:flowerforyou: Strength training can help a lot. It has helped me tremendously.
  • danicat
    danicat Posts: 3
    Options
    thank you guys! i did have my bmr tested twice...1482 both times. my nutritionist was baffled why i wasn't losing. i am 5'2 and 153lbs. anytime i eat more i gain weight. thank you again for your input.
  • mmkb
    mmkb Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There are two main adrenal problems - Addison's disease and Cushings. I have Addison's disease and before I was on the proper medication my symptoms were - weight loss, not able to eat, fatigue, could hardly stand up, extreme dizziness, diarrhea and etc. If I remember correctly people who have Cushings usually gain weight. Take care.