Calorie Zing Zag for PCOS Weight Loss

Options
Hey All,

I have been diagnosed with PCOS and I need to change my diet and exercise plan accordingly. Lately, I have been finding it very difficult to lose weight. My doctor has started me with Metformin twice a day. (500mg)

It seems like calorie zig zag works for lot of PCOS ppl to lose weight. Can you please let me know more about calorie zig zag and also share if it has worked for you.

Thanks for being there...

Luv,
Sophie

Replies

• startingover42
    Options
    I would like some advice on this as well. I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was in my late teens..and have struggled with losing weight all my life. I am in my early 40s now. I am on Metformin as well once a day (1500mg).

Thanks for asking the question.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    I don't have PCOS, but I thought this might help. This is a link to a site that sets you up with a zigzag calorie plan for the week.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

I had great success zigzagging my calories, and I hope it helps you as well.
  • jennynmorris
    jennynmorris Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think we are all in the same boat here. :) I am currently not on any medication for my PCOS. but have been on Metformin before. This will be a good personal research topic for me today :)
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I don't think what I do is technically "zig zag" but I do change up my calorie intake and it seems to work. When I lost a large amount of weight after one of my pregnancies I followed a workout plan that was 6 days a week 1200 calories, then on the 7th day you took a day "off." After a few weeks of that it was 1400 or 1500 calories for 6 days, 1 day "off." I was also doing mainly strength training exercises. It worked quite well for me. Lately I've been finding I like more calories than that, so I've been doing more cardio. I still usually have one day a week where I eat more, and then sometimes cut back more the next day or so. I'm losing weight at around 0.8 pounds per week, I'd say. I'm also expecting this to slow down as I near my goal weight. Oh, and I do have PCOS, just so you know. No idea if this has any effect on this style of eating for weight loss.
  • FinerthanB433
    Options
    Good morning, all! I, too, have PCOS, diagnosed in 2006. I have been slow going at any losses as well, even though I stick to a 1250 a day calorie and work my *kitten* off exercising. Help!!!!
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS (diagnosed early last year). For me the diet was the key. Seriously cutting out processed carbs is what does it for me. I notice that if I eat too many, then my weight loss stalls. When I hit a plateau (no loss for three weeks), then I do a bit of zig zagging to confuse my body. But, I don't do it all the time. When I do zig zag, I will eat 1200, 1500, 1200, 1500 all week along with any exercise calories that I have. I also up my exercise that week just a bit. I haven't found that zig zagging all the time helps me in any way though.

I have been consistently losing for two years, and am down about 50 lbs doing this. The key to my success has definitely been diet though. But we are all different.
  • Arabian♥Breeze
    Options
    I to have PCOS ...symptoms came as puberty hit. It's a very scary condition if left untreated so LADIES your doing the right thing!!! I would say I have all the symptoms of PCOS except the very serious ones like heart disease and diabetic I'm trying to prevent all the serious things that could happen. I'm on Metformin been on it over a year now its helped me so much. And i been working out daily and eating smaller portions and trying to eat some what better.

Now about Zig Zagging. I'm not too sure what you mean when you say that. I'm assuming it's with Diet and work outs? I think more attention needs to be paid to what we eat. Lots of whole grains, vegetables and fruits low GI foods. I go online all the time to see what foods are good for PCOS insulin resistance women and go by that. I never tried Zig zaging i think it would be too stressful for me. I just want something that will last forever and I dont think Zig zagging works for me I would prob end up over eating

Anyways this is just me.

Good luck with everything!!
  • bajheera
    Options
    It seems to be working for me. i was doing it accidentally. I was over 200 pounds. My doctor also put me on a medicine for weigh loss. (Although not the same as you and only as a temporary help for weight loss - not a permanent thing. It isn't for PCOS - I don't take anything for that.) She wanted me to try to work my calorie intake around 1200. However, she said not to worry if I couldn't do it everyday. Just try to keep it near 1200 calories and not worry if I had an off day. Usually on Sundays after church, we go out to eat. With this myfitnesspal app on my phone, it helps me to be able to put my calories in at the restaurant so I can manage the rest of my day. Usually on this day I have more calories because of eating out, but I still try not to keep near. For several other days of the week, I try to have a salad for lunch to help with the dinner. I still had what I fixed for everyone else at dinner - just watch my portion sizes.

So far I've lost 18 pounds. (I also hit a plateau for 2 or 3 weeks as well so don't be discouraged).

I ran across these articles which helped me feel better about my varying calories. It also explained why I was still loosing weight... sometimes 1/2 pound a day

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1608/is_3_18/ai_83343022/ - this one explains why it works.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm# - this one gives you an example after you put in your weight, age, height, etc. and then click on "7-day zig zag" at bottom of calorie calculator to show you an example. My doctor wanted me to intake less calories than this calculator recommended so I just used this as an example only.

Good luck. By the way, this app REALLY helps. If you haven't already and can download it to your phone, then I highly recommend it. I particularly like that you can scan the food in when you are cooking dinner instead of entering it. It doesn't sound like much of a big deal, but when you start doing it, it makes it so much easier to use and keep up with.
  • sporter5
    sporter5 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    With PCOS, I have found that losing my weight has been very difficult, However I also have hypothyroidism which has the same symptoms so it has been double hard. I have been working out at least once a day for 5-7 days a week at least 30 min. Eating a low carb , high protein diet and I'm also drinking a shakeology once a day. I am finally getting excited about losing weight. Honestly I don't know when I have felt better. Another plus is that for the 1st time in 4 years I am actually having regular cycles. Losing weight truely does help. I agree with the post about eating different amounts every day,, which I do, and I also try to keep that in step with my exercise. If I workout I allow myself to eat a little more, but if I don't............. LOL. Eating clean is a huge deal as well, processed foods with the extra chemicals messes with me. . PCOS is a mean, mean syndrome but I believe that if we take care of US we can beat this :)
  • ShinyFraga
    ShinyFraga Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS (stopped taking Metformin after my little one was born last July though) and have been zig zagging calories for about 3 months now and I absolutely love it. I was stuck for a month straight with no weight loss, and as soon as I started zig zagging my calories the pounds began to drop off. and they have continued to do so consistently ever since. I can send you my method of figuring out daily zig zag totals if you are interested.