lowering sugar in diet

Options
I am trying to reduce the amount of sugar in my diet for GI reasons. However, I am hitting well over 70 grams per day. This amount is from natural sources, mostly fruits, milk (products like greek yogurt, and 1 c of milk in the morning w my protein shake), my already low sugar cereal (mesa sunrise, goodfriends, etc. that doesn't have any added sugar, just the natural grains). Please do not suggest that I cut out sweets or soda. I do not drink soda, and I limit desserts as much as is reasonable (a girl has to have some chocolate once in a while. I am not including this added sugar in my problem 70 g).

I'm looking for some guidance from people that have been able to reduce their sugar successfully and how they make substitutions. I am a vegetarian, please do not suggest meat.

Here's today's food log so far (I haven't planned dinner yet)
Breakfast - 3 T half and half, 3/4 c soymilk, 3/4 c mesa sunrise cereal, 1/2 c strawberries
snack - 1 orange
lunch - spinach salad w 1/8 c peas, 1 t olive oil, 2 t vinegar, 1/4 c cold lentil salad (2 t olive oil, 2 t lemon juice, salt pepper), raw collard greens
snack - 6oz 0% greek yogurt with 1/2 c strawberries

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Are you staying within your carb goals for the day?
    If you speak to a nutritionist they will give you the recomendations for your weight and body type.
    I was told to stay within 130 Grams of carbs a day. As long as they are healthy carbs and not from refined sugars, I don't worry about the sugar. I focus on the carbs.
  • Saucy_Yoda
    Saucy_Yoda Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Since all carbohydrates breakdown into sugar anyway, I wouldn't be too concerned about getting below a certain number. It seems that you aren't eating heavily processed junk but rather natural foods.