? about tracking exercise calories

Options
Hello,

I just started using this site to track calories. I have noticed that I do not receive credit for some strength training exercises. Specifically, for abdominal work and push ups. Any idea why?

Also, for those doing the 30 day shred, how do you count the calories for the 20 minute sessions?

Thanks!

Replies

• chinadoll725
    chinadoll725 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it doesnt give you any #s for streingth because from what I've read there are too many variables to weight lifting.

I usually log 30 Day shread as circuit training. Hope this helps! :-)
  • LittleFootHafner
    Options
    Try putting your weight training under a cardiovascular activitiy - just look up weights.
  • sgtlittle
    sgtlittle Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Try looking under the cardio section and selecting strenght training or weight lifting. I use a heart rate monitor that gives me calories burned for my body...it's a lot more accurate than the ones you find on the internet, which are just generic calculations that don't take into account intensity and rest time.
  • BobDierk
    Options
    I found the same thing. Best I can tell, nothing is done with the strength training data you enter. There are no reports to track your progress and you don't get any calorie credits, etc. What I have found is that there is a generic cardio entry titled "strength training". Here there is no detail on the exercises you have completed, nor the weight or reps. It only captures the number of minutes you worked out. Good news is that it does give you some calorie credits. I get 161 calories for a 30 minute workout.

As for the strength training section, I hope they do something with the data in the future. I still enter it in, but without feedback, analysis, etc. I hope I am just missing some hidden feature.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    If you're just talking about pushups and situps, you can log "calisthenics" in the cardio section. Anything you put in the lower section under strength training is just for tracking your workouts.
  • TigerlilyMD
    Options
    Try looking under the cardio section and selecting strenght training or weight lifting. I use a heart rate monitor that gives me calories burned for my body...it's a lot more accurate than the ones you find on the internet, which are just generic calculations that don't take into account intensity and rest time.

Great idea! I will use my Garmin to determine how many calories I burn both with the 30 day shred and my ab/push up circuit.

Thanks!
  • startingover42
    Options
    If you use an HRM during your strength training, you can log it that way.
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Strength training(for the most part) doesn't really burn that many calories, since you don't do it for long enough to really get your heart rate up, and since it is anaerobic, you don't really pump out the CO2 to be able to measure that way, so it's just really hard to measure in general. If you are doing push-ups or something else "strength-training-ish" that does get you moving for long enough to get your heart going for some time, then you could wear a Heart Rate Monitor and get a fairly accurate calorie burn count, and log it as Cardio work instead (or in addition to).

I log both push-ups and my Kettlebell routines in Cardio instead.