Building up endurance

Options
I would like to build up my endurance. I can seem to make it about 30-45 minutes of medium intensity aerobic type workouts before I exhaust myself. If I do more than one workout a day, can that help build my endurance? If I do this, how much time do I need to spend on each workout for it to help build up endurance? If I push myself really hard, I can only make it about 5-10 minutes at high intensity.

I also incorporate weight training into my program. My strength is actually better than my endurance. I do have asthma, but very mild and I do not generally need medication or inhalers unless I am sick.

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    My thought would be to do longer work outs at lower intensity on some days and shorter workouts with higher intensity on other days.
    In running, we usually do one LSD run a week, long slow distance. This is slower than your goal pace. That is combined with tempo runs, running at or higher than goal pace for shorter times, and speed workouts. ETA - that is combined with small increases in distance as well.
  • Superdave24
    Superdave24 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Here is what helped me. I took an O2 supplement. It helps optimize your bodys use of oxygen. I dropped the supplement once I was able to maintain where I wanted to be. With you having asthma I would google it or talk to your doctor. Or try www.webmd.com
    Dave
  • beckystephens
    beckystephens Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    interval training!
  • StressedChaos
    StressedChaos Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Try doing Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. It is 20 minutes of circuit training and will be a huge help to your endurance. The entire workout is 27 minutes and you could do another 20-30 minutes of walking/jogging/etc along with it.
  • jogdog
    jogdog Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    3dogsrunning is right. There are different types of running workouts that can help you vary up your running and to also increase both speed and endurance. You could probably check out the Couch to 5K program, programs designed for after the C25K, runningworld.com, and running planet.com for some suggested plans to help you. Good luck on your running!
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Here is what helped me. I took an O2 supplement. It helps optimize your bodys use of oxygen. I dropped the supplement once I was able to maintain where I wanted to be. With you having asthma I would google it or talk to your doctor. Or try www.webmd.com
    Dave

Doesn't sound very safe: http://www.livestrong.com/article/70727-o2-supplement-side-effects/
    Definitely check with your doctor before taking this.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I try to stay away from any workout supplements - they do tend to aggravate my breathing.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I just want to add, this doesn't need to apply to running only. Walking, cycling, the elipitical all can apply the same principle.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Rest helps.