garlic rice

Options
stefchica
stefchica Posts: 257 Member
so i make this EVERYTIME i make my rice, everyone loves it and its a different flavor, goes really well with stir fry's, steak, and pretty much anything its REALLY delicious!

2 cups jasmine rice (just the rice i always use)
4 cups water
2 tsp kosher salt (more to taste)
oil
2 small garlic cloves, minced

get rice, rinse under water and set aside to dry a little (this prevents it from clumping up but you can skip this). get a pan, should be about 3 inches in depth, almost like a sauce pan. add in about 1 tbsp oil, maybe 2, add in garlic and turn on heat. sautee garlic until fragrant, do not let it brown, you want to infuse the oil with garlic. add in the rice and stir around until all the rice is covered and some of the grains should turn bright white, once that happens add in water. stir around to get the pieces of rice off from the bottom and stir in salt. Taste the water, add more salt if needed. let it boil on medium high until the water JUST passes the top of the rice, once that happens turn down to low and cover and let it cook for about 15 minutes. check on it, stir the rice around and make sure all water is gone, taste the rice to make sure its done. IF ITS NOT DONE then add about 1/4 cup water, cover again and let it sit for anohter 5 minutes or so until water is gone. once the rice is cooked fluff with a fork and serve!

Replies

• LadyNeshoba
    LadyNeshoba Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I love garlic...and this sounds awesome :D

I love putting garlic in just about everything. Specially my green beans *drools*
  • johnnieb
    johnnieb Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    This sounds great! Thanks for sharing!
  • monih10
    monih10 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Sounds so good!! Gonna have to try this!!
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    cant wait to try this. thanks.
  • sarahs440
    Options
    bump
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    so i make this EVERYTIME i make my rice, everyone loves it and its a different flavor, goes really well with stir fry's, steak, and pretty much anything its REALLY delicious!

4 cups water
    oil

get rice, rinse under water and set aside to dry a little (this prevents it from clumping up but you can skip this). get a pan, should be about 3 inches in depth, almost like a sauce pan. add in about 1 tbsp oil, maybe 2, add in garlic and turn on heat. sautee garlic until fragrant, do not let it brown, you want to infuse the oil with garlic. add in the rice and stir around until all the rice is covered and some of the grains should turn bright white, once that happens add in water. stir around to get the pieces of rice off from the bottom and stir in salt. Taste the water, add more salt if needed. let it boil on medium high until the water JUST passes the top of the rice, once that happens turn down to low and cover and let it cook for about 15 minutes. check on it, stir the rice around and make sure all water is gone, taste the rice to make sure its done. IF ITS NOT DONE then add about 1/4 cup water, cover again and let it sit for anohter 5 minutes or so until water is gone. once the rice is cooked fluff with a fork and serve!
    This is a Filipino stape!!! And if you mix it with eggs and longinisa!!! Lonsilog!!!

longsilog.jpg
  • nukebhs83
    Options
    sounds yummy---may try it this weekend. thank you
  • cindy_46
    cindy_46 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Sounds good. I love garlic!! Thanks for sharing.
  • JennC831
    JennC831 Posts: 631 Member
    Options

4 cups water
    oil

This is a Filipino stape!!! And if you mix it with eggs and longinisa!!! Lonsilog!!!

longsilog.jpg

I love it Filipino style!! That's how my momma makes it!!! My mom is from Cebu!! Yum Yummy!!!
  • WWH_AJ
    WWH_AJ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    bump
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Yes... sounds sooo yummy!!!!!
  • SuperKatie
    SuperKatie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    The ratio for rice:liquid is 1:1.5.

The easiest way to cook rice is in the oven, you won't have to open and stir or guess when it's done. Just add some oil and your garlic (I like to add a little diced shallot or onion now), add your rice and season with salt (you can throw in some fresh thyme, bay leaf, whatever you have) and then add your liquid (I prefer chicken stock). Put a lid on it, once it boils, throw in a 400 degree oven for 17 minutes. Done.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options

The easiest way to cook rice is in the oven, you won't have to open and stir or guess when it's done. Just add some oil and your garlic (I like to add a little diced shallot or onion now), add your rice and season with salt (you can throw in some fresh thyme, bay leaf, whatever you have) and then add your liquid (I prefer chicken stock). Put a lid on it, once it boils, throw in a 400 degree oven for 17 minutes. Done.
    Nah. The easiest way to cook rice is in a rice cooker! Just throw rice, add water and press the button. It will stop on it's own.
  • SuperKatie
    SuperKatie Posts: 94 Member
    Options

Nah. The easiest way to cook rice is in a rice cooker! Just throw rice, add water and press the button. It will stop on it's own.

Ha ha. Touche.
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options

this is over the top, but my cousin's wife would bring rice like that, EXCEPT she would cook it plain, layer in a metal container rice, then a mixture of cottage cheese, green chiles and cream cheese and i think sour cream and cheese then layer more rice, bake it...eat it. it was pretty good. i will make rice in the oven though if i'm cooking a big batch, otherwise, its not worth it for me to waste the gas on the oven
  • shanna0413
    shanna0413 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    bump