bad tummy and diarhrea with increased exercise

Options
Since Iv started working out more ( end of july) Iv found I need to go to toilet alot more and its alot looser then before I got more active. Sometimes I need to stop the workout so I can quickly run to the loo! Im drinking lots of water (forget to log it sometimes) but its still happening. Is it just a result of doing lots of exercise? My partner thinks it is and I should relax the exercise and not work out so often (usually 6 days a week 20+min work outs) Any advice is welcome as I hate having stomach problems:angry:

Replies

• drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    have you checked into other things? gluten, lactose or any other food senstivities/allergies?

or are you exercising on full stomach? too much coffee before?
  • gaylelynnbell
    gaylelynnbell Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    You are not alone! I go through the same thing during hard workouts. It is not uncommon. Here is an article on "Runner's Trots".

http://www.time-to-run.com/doctor/runnerstrots.htm

It is not just runners who are affected. I started avoiding the gym for a while because of it so I did some research into it.
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Iv only had the problem since exerciing more, my diet consists of all the things I usually had just healhtier versions or smaller portions. Im not allergic or sensitve to anything and after racking my brains Iv not eaten anything thats disagreed with me... Im more into water now and have cut down on teas and diet cokes.
    This has only started since exercising more often and for longer
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Don't worry. This happens to other me. It happens to me.

First of all, 20 minute workouts 6x a week is NOT too much working out, just throwin' that out there.

But your body has to adjust to anything and everything you do differently. So, if this routine is new or it's on again off again or you're mixing it up, don't worry about it at all.

Also, and yes, this is total poop talk...think about how it was before. Were you constipated? That would mean you had fewer than one bowel movement every two days at the minimum. Most people have a bowel movement every day or almost every day. If you were constipated frequently before, then that is probably why you are having diarrhea. Your body is just freaking out at the changes you've made.

But in any case, what I will say is this...if it goes on for more than 2 days, you should call your doctor anyway. Then go in, and take a copy of your food diary and your exercise diary with you and show the doc.

Oh, the other big question for you is: are you using an HRM? One that is really good? Because I know that if I let my heart rate get too high for too long while exercising, then it makes my whole system go screwy because it causes my body to panic.
  • RagtimeLady
    RagtimeLady Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    They say that vigorous exercise will speed up your digestive tract. I haven't been so lucky, but maybe that's what's going on. Two things - rice usually slows you down, and if you're drinking a lot of water, try taking some fiber tabs - they will help absorb some of the water now passing through your colon. Don't overdo, though, because too much has a laxative effect! Hope this helps...
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    gayle - read the article and I think its my condition :laugh:
    Also I wasnt constipated before but was never this regular. I have a HRM and the workouts iv been doing lately are HIIT and my heart rate does get quite high so that might be a factor. Its not that major but I hate to be stopping a workout to run off and have to start again. My stomachs fine when I have rest days so its just when I work out too intense I think
  • lizziterlizzi
    Options
    I have similar problems, but I notice I kinda think its my bodies way of getting rid of the crap it doesn't need.