Swelling

Options
Anybody got tips on what to eat (or avoid) to stop swelling? I used to swell when I ate bad but usually after changing up my diet it would stop. However, this week my hands and legs are swelling and I don't know why. I drink at least 9-10 glasses of water, I cut out all my favorite salty foods like pickles and hot sauce but still I swell :( Any ideas on supplements, different combos of food to make it stop?

Replies

• PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Add some lemon juice to your water.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    If you have cut your sodium and drink plenty of water, I would see the Dr.
  • Krisengel
    Krisengel Posts: 161 Member
    Options

I agree, I would call my dr.
  • wildkatt7
    wildkatt7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I usually add lemon juice to my water, but ran out for 2 weeks - horrible water... anyway, I was swelling like crazy... so I am glad what I have done to enhance flavor has been a good thing... thanks for the tip
  • cinne6
    cinne6 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, coffee can help. My doctor wanted to put me on a water pill for swelling. I refused. Instead, I drink a cup of coffee every morning, which is a natural diaretic and that seems to do the trick. Also, check with your doctor to make sure there isn't a medical reason for the swelling. Best of luck!
  • Uerzer
    Uerzer Posts: 273
    Options

I agree, I would call my dr.

That
  • danielleogrady
    danielleogrady Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Swelling is also a result of not eating enough protein and/or not eating enough calories. Otherwise your body can go into hunger-edema and you're body will naturally want to hold onto water, even if you're cutting down salt and drinking plenty of water. Good luck!
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    There are plenty of foods disguised as healthy that have an outrageous amount of sodium, so first thing is to make sure your sodium intake really isn't the problem--should be under 2500 mg (and under 1500 if you have hbp or are over 50). IF your sodium is low and you're still swelling, see your doctor. If you decide that sodium is your problem, eat foods higher in potassium for a few days to balance it out--bananas, potato, beans, tomatoes are some of my high potassium favorites.
  • Angelbinick21
    Angelbinick21 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Try eating a few cucumber slices throughout the day - they tend to reduce swelling. (That's why people put them over their eyes to reduce puffy, dark circles.)
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    #1 Are you tracking your sodium in your foods? If not, then add that to your macro's. You will be surprised how much sodium is in all foods. I was shocked when I started tracking it. This weekend I was super bad and it totally showed on the scale this morning.
    #2 Is it near your TOM? That could be another reason why
    #3 Did you just recently start a weight training program? If so, your muscles will tend to retain more water (as will the rest of your body) when you start/resume weights
    #4 Have you tried a diuretic pill? These can really help if you just got in a bad spot with sodium.
    #5 Flood yourself with extra water for a few days and see if it goes down

After all of the above if it's still bad then call the Dr. and make sure there is nothing wrong (or if you are super worried call now).

Good luck!
  • yummummum
    Options
    Personally, I had a HUGE problem with swelling. It didn't go away until I made some radical diet changes. I cut out ALL gluten, and sugar and starches. I eat low carb now and it is an AMAZING difference. My husband noticed a change in my face within 2 days and my stomach, legs and arms all went down. I used to be really bloated all the time and now I am just NOT. I do have to watch my sodium but the foods I eat now are all unprocessed mostly so it is now a non-issue.

Good luck to you.
  • fabfav
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I would go to the Dr. but I'm not covered by any insurance right now so... I'm gonna take all of your advice this week. I already drink coffee but I think I'll add the lemon to my water, and try tracking my sodium I didn't think about maybe some of the food I'm eating could be sneaking it in somewhere.

Thanks!!
  • fabfav
    Options
    Oh yeah does lime work as well as lemon in water?? I like it much better!
  • fabfav
    Options
    #1 Are you tracking your sodium in your foods? If not, then add that to your macro's. You will be surprised how much sodium is in all foods. I was shocked when I started tracking it.

OMG!! Just turned it on. Didn't know campbell's chicken noodle had over 2500g of sodium!! Dang! I think tracking is going to help!!