Greek yogurt concoction that I can actually tolerate

Options
idauria
idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
Ok so I never liked Greek yogurt. I always found it too tart. I really wanted to incorporate greek yogurt into my rotation again because of the high protein but couldn't think of a way to make it palatable other than dumping in sugar. Someone suggested mixing it with peanut butter. I thought, why not? I mixed in 1 tablespoon of natural pb into 1/2 cup Chobani plain non-fat yogurt. It was still a little tart so I added a packed of Stevia. The result...I love it! Now I have an easy snack or pre-workout breakfast that has tons of protein!

Replies

• Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's rough to be plain. One time I sprinkled a 1/2 packet of Stevia, then some raisins and grape nuts (didn't have any granola handy). that was pretty good, too.

I've been adding a tbsp or so of organic (Costco) strawberry preserves/spread into my plain greek yogurt... yummmmmmy and only adds another 30-40 calories.
  • nekoemi
    nekoemi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I also find it a bit too tart for my tastes. I like mixing in some Honey and Almonds with my plain greek yogurt.

I'll have to try it with Peanut Butter some time.
  • 65jackie
    65jackie Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Adding Trader Joe's Pumpkin butter to it and sprinkling with cinnamon makes a delicious fall treat!
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    You guys are better than me....I eat the greek yogurt that already has fruit in it and save the plain as a sour cream replacement :blushing:
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I can only tolerate it with honey, some nuts and frozen berries. It's great stuff though! I live in Switzerland now, and I can't find a low-fat variety here.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    You guys are better than me....I eat the greek yogurt that already has fruit in it and save the plain as a sour cream replacement :blushing:

I don't buy the flavored varieties because of the sugar content. I prefer to flavor it myself. I haven't used the greek yogurt in a savory application yet but I might try that soon, like make a dip or something.
  • czechsmate
    Options

I don't buy the flavored varieties because of the sugar content. I prefer to flavor it myself. I haven't used the greek yogurt in a savory application yet but I might try that soon, like make a dip or something.

I use the plain on baked potatoes, tacos...and I have made a really good dip with it too, garlic and herbs, The chobani site has a bunch of recipes.
  • nekoemi
    nekoemi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it on baked potatoes but that sounds like it could be good. I usually use cottage cheese on my baked potatoes (and maybe a few drops of hot sauce)
  • czechsmate
    Options
    I've never tried it on baked potatoes but that sounds like it could be good. I usually use cottage cheese on my baked potatoes (and maybe a few drops of hot sauce)

Seriously try it....it really does taste just like sour cream to me, my husband tops them off with bacos...geez he tops everything off with bacos!
  • annemckee
    annemckee Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky - I like natural yogurt and am not fond of the sweetened kinds. My staple breakfaast is fresh fruit and yogurt.
  • amy_marie
    amy_marie Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I use plain greek yogurt instead of sour cream, I'm actually getting some to make baked potatoes tmw night. As for eating it alone, I don't like it. I would try the flavored kinds, probably better.
  • SonicaBE
    SonicaBE Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    The fage 2% yogurt is a bit milder and 15 gr of protein..I have that with a handful of fiber one cereal mixed in- perfect snack or even breakfast.
  • nikkicampbell
    nikkicampbell Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Try drizzling the yogurt with a very tad bit of agave syrup. They sell it at costco. and it is easy/quicker to use than honey.

I prefer agave because as you can see below, it is lower on the glycemic index (GI) than other sweeteners:

sugar (95), honey (77), maple syrup (54), agave nectar (26-40)

Agave also has a very neutral flavor, unlike honey and other natural sweeteners
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt and Nutella
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I don't buy the fruit ones because of the sugar, here's what I do to the plain:

add sugar free/ fat free cheesecake flavored pudding powder (I also like white chocolate, butterscotch, and banana cream)

add one packet of sweetener of your choice (splenda, truvia)

Sometimes it needs a little dash of milk to think it out a tiny bit since the pudding powder acts as a thickening agent

I add a few no sugar added frozen mixed berries....and let it sit in the frige for a couple of hours...the berries kind of melt into the cheesecake flavored yogurt and the consistency is kind of cheesecake-y too. Faux berry cheesecake... yum!
  • queenmegan
    Options
    I have a very similar trick. Add a teaspoon of cocoa powder and stevia.... It's delish!
  • skhoy0006
    Options
    mix greek yogurt with fresh salsa and a little cumin and you have a great veggie dip or salad dressing......
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    If you aren't overly sensitive to sodium.... You can mix it with hidden valley ranch mix powder to make a veggie dip too!
  • memawwheeler
    memawwheeler Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I wish I would have thought of this but I saw a post some time back that said to put sugar free fat free instant pudding into plain greek yogurt so I tried it and it is awesome!! The cheesecake flavor is my favorite and adding 25 calories a serving to greek yogurt, it really is a treat...and a great dessert if you add fruit as well...
  • tonilizzy88
    tonilizzy88 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    i have total 0% and its amazing add some honey and apple and you have a delisious snack for little calories.