Zumba

Options
I am going to try a Zumba class this evening for the first time! A little nervous but excited! Any advice or tips?

Replies

• shanlizwalters
    Options
    STRETCH!!!!!
  • Jewcybabe
    Jewcybabe Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Have fun and enjoy yourself.....!
  • mwoneis
    Options
    Just have fun! Don't worry if you don't know the steps as it takes a few times to get the hang of it! Also, every teacher is a little different so if you are not a fan of a certain teacher don't give up and try another one!
  • MrsPeavley
    MrsPeavley Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Have plenty of water and a towel nearby and prepare to sweat!!!! Oh and have fun!!!
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Be able to laugh at yourself, I have been going to a zumba class since mid June and I still have to stop and just laugh at how ridiculous I am.

Do not get frustrated, learning the moves takes time, you may stumble for the first while but its normal.

most of all HAVE FUN!!!
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about getting all of the moves perfect the first time . . . just keep moving and have fun! The moves will come with practice and repetition.

Best wishes :flowerforyou:
  • aschaal1263
    Options
    Concentrate on getting the steps right first, then work on the arms! Zumba is a ton of fun and not a bad way to work out at all!
  • aqua_zumba_fan
    Options
    It's great fun :) I'm just heading out to my aqua zumba class soon and I love it. As others have said just don't take yourself too seriously and don't expect to get it straight away. Relax and let yourself go a bit :)
  • KPaden1221
    Options
    i LOOOOOOOVE Zumba.. I gotta get started going back!
  • DisneySkaGirl
    Options
    It's way more important that you move and that you're putting in the effort than it is that you get every move just right.

Also, if you have a heart rate monitor, wear it! It is super exciting to watch that heart rate go up and to know how much you burned!
  • HollieDoodles
    HollieDoodles Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    It's important to remember that it takes time to learn the moves. Almost everyone had to take at least 3 classes to get the hang of it (instructors generally repeat the same songs and moves) It's wild and crazy BUT so much fun! If you love to dance, you will probably LOVE Zumba :happy:

You will sweat buckets if you give it your all!

I almost forgot..... some classes aren't as good as others. If you don't like this class, check out others in the area if you can.
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Oh em geeeee I love Zumba!

Just have fun!!!! You will be a sweaty mess after class, but take the time to stretch after! Bring water, for sure. And don't worry about getting the moves exactly perfect. As long as you are having fun and moving, you will be doing it right!
  • mandycasey
    mandycasey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    You will love it, i go 4 times a week and sooooo enjoy it .
  • italianissima
    italianissima Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh!!!!! I am so excited for you!! My fingers can't type fast enough to tell you this: you will LOVE it!!!! Just go in with a smile on your face, when the moves get tough just smile! You will think the class has flown by! If you aren't the best dancer, just laugh it off. I have been doing Zumba for yearsssss and was hooked from day 1!!

-I suggest wearing pants that are stretchy and tight- avoid baggy stuff, especially by your feet.
    -A sports bra is a must because you are moving alot and jumping around!
    -Black is a good color to wear because you will sweat alot and it won't show with black.
    -I highly suggest basic sneakers- no running shoes or wobbly surface shoes- most of us wear Nike Musique shoes or cheerleading shoes in class.
    -I also suggest using the balls of your feet when dancing- this means you will try to keep up on your toes. This will work your calves too. You will find the salsa moves will be easier this way!
    -Put your hair up!
    -Bring water!!!
    -Smile!!!!

Get there EARLY! Zumba ladies looooove to dance in their same spot most of the time, and the line to get into the room is usually long! You will want to get there early too, to find parking and get in line before things get hectic!!!

I can't wait to hear how it goes! Send me a message!!
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    It takes a few times to get the hang of it so don't worry if you don't get all the moves down tonight.

Just have fun and "shake it 'til you make it!" :smile:
  • jodibelle
    jodibelle Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about what you look like if you don't know the moves ~ just keep trying and keep moving and you will get it down. Everyone feels a little silly at first but it is a great workout. Have fun!!
  • IamJustSanie
    IamJustSanie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Bring plenty of water... Zumba is awesome, especially is you like to dance
  • StacyLynn8241
    Options
    I love Zumba! It is like therapy for me. You focus so much on getting the moves right that you don't have time to worry about anything else. It's a lot of fun and a great workout! Definitely take water and a towel. You'll need them for sure!! Have fun with it!
  • ycc1964
    ycc1964 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    You will burn plenty of calories without even feeling like you have workout, because it is sooooo much fun, before you know it your doing the moves, sweating and needing water. This is one workout you can really get addicted to. Enjoy.:wink:
  • jillerymaker
    Options
    You will be totally hooked!! It is so much fun, and the hour goes by so fast and you blasted so many calories you would not believe it!! A few days a week, and you will not believe the transformation in your body! And, there are people of all ages, shapes, sizes and fitness levels in those classes, so you will not be judged, so just let yourself go and shake what you were given!!