HOW long did you wait.....

Options
I'm nervous about my first weigh in. Only been logging my food for 6 days, but I just started my workouts today.....

So how long did you wait before weighing in for the first time??? Were the results what you were expecting????

I tend to get discouraged easily. Thanks for any insight.

Replies

• Shayyy01
    Shayyy01 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I would weigh in and get your starting weight 1st. Then maybe every Thursday or so weigh yourself.

I do it on the same day every week. =)

Good luck!
  • lexximan
    lexximan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I started weighing in a week after I started logging. Then the same day every week since.
    I think your results will be better than you think. Mine were and I didnt even work out the first week..
    =]
  • random_chaos17
    Options
    I weighed in a week from when i started just to see if what i did , helped at all. Even a pound will help ya know if what your doing is maybe working, just don't expect anything the first week, but it lets you shoot for the sky the second week.
  • BrandyRelaxing
    BrandyRelaxing Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week. It is frequent enough for me to see good/bad progress, and make adjustments, but also not be driven crazy by the weight fluctuations that do happen throughout the week.

My first week I only lost 3 pounds (and at 339 pounds it wasn't what I was hoping for), but it came off the following week. Don't stress if the scale doesn't say what you want, it's not the only measure of success!

Brandy
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    You can weigh yourself now, but if you get discouraged easily don't weigh yourself for a while after you start working out. Measure instead!! It will look like you aren't losing because your muscles hold onto water after new workouts and it will make you think you are gaining even though you aren't. I say weigh yourself now, then weigh again in 2-3 weeks. Measure in between these times. Don't get discouraged if you are putting in the work and effort you will get results
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    At the beginning of my journey, I picked a day (Wednesday) to be my weigh in day. When I first weighed in, I think it was a week and a half because I had started on a Monday and 2 days wasn't long enough to actually weigh in. It's been a few months and my weigh day has changed to Fridays. Some people tend to see a rise in the scale (note: not a weight gain) when they first start out, especially if they exercise. It's just your body getting used to it and don't let the scale be the judge of your motivation for the first month or so. It took me 2-3 weeks into this to see a loss. The one thing that kept me going during that time was how I felt with exercise and eating better. The energy, sleeping better, etc. Just remember the weight wasn't put on over night and it won't come off that way either. Good luck :)
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, but if you tend to get discouraged, don't do it more than once a week. Be sure to do measurements too..because on weeks you don't see scale results, you might be losing inches. I didn't measure for the first month, and really wish I'd done it in the beginning. Even if you don't see big results...keep at it and you WILL see changes if you're eating good and exercising regularly. Its inevitable!

Good luck!
  • rblair_22
    rblair_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself at the very beginning so that I had a starting weight. I actually weight myself everyday (because i'm OCD like that), but I only log once a week. And no, I don't pick the smallest number from the week to use. I log my weight every monday, so whatever I weighed that day is what gets logged. Don't let yourself get discouraged if it's a small number. My goal is a # a week, and it helps to see the #'s come off no matter how slowly!
  • Tegan74
    Tegan74 Posts: 202
    Options
    Measure yourself as well ~ That way even if the scale doesnt move you'll still see changes in inches lost ;)
  • Purpleflipflops
    Purpleflipflops Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself once a week at first, but now I am switching to once a month, just so I can see overall results. Also, if your numbers don't seem so good, check your measurements!!! They are so much more telling :smooched:
  • mamagrubbs
    Options
    when i 1st started i did it everyday then i learned not to do that now i just weigh myself once a month since i'm very close to my goal. but recommend once a week when you are 1st starting out dont get caught up in the numbers on the scale i also like to go by measurements and how my clothes fit!
  • sahmed15
    sahmed15 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I waited about a week. To be honest I wasn't expecting to lose anything but the numbers don't lie.

It sounds like you might not see a big difference in your weight. Try thinking of your weigh-ins as benchmarks of progress (ie "I made a difference in my life that affected this number" or "I am capable of making changes that can effect this number" ) rather than as an ultimate "THIS IS HOW BIG I AM" number, which, even as I type it out, seems very discouraging. Anyway, that's what helps me!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I started off weighing and tracking pretty frequently to see how my body reacted - to see what my normal weight gain/loss cycle is. It really has helped me to understand what is going on. I lose, then stop but lose inches, then gain a little followed by a loss, and the cycle starts over. Seeing that pattern made the gains less stressful.
  • Gay11nell
    Gay11nell Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Dont' laugh! but when I first started on here, I was a scale/weigh-in junkie! EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRYDAY! but I'm stable now and weigh-in every tuesday.

Just look at your first weigh-in as a trial run.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I weighed in on my first day and then each Friday after. I started not logging weight gains but found when I did I stayed focus on those weeks. Miss seeing my number higher so it's kept me moving to get that number up!
  • em1976
    em1976 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I still after 2 or so years I visit my scale everyday,I think now its more from curiosity though.I do my official weigh in for mfp every week and log it regardless of gain or loss,plus ive added all the measurements I would normally have done to the mfp section incl:belly,butt,arms,thighs,the lot.The measurements more so than the weight is what keeps me going.I use any gain to backtrack and I can see where I slacked off weeks earlier and that gives me a boost,plus I also use the reports regularly both with nutrition and fitness so I can see if im truly trying or simply skating along.

Part of the logging food whether I do well or not has got me into the logging the weight even if its a gain.Makes me look and go 'ok I can do better'.
  • jeannec3631
    jeannec3631 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    i joined on this weekly weigh in but am double thinking continuing. i too get discouraged easily & when i didn't loose any weight this past friday it put me in a funk for the weekend, which generally leads to eating. so it's something each one of us has to decide for ourselves. for me...i probably will do it once a month for now instead. good luck & look for NSV (non scale victories) in between times...clothes fitting better, body feeling stronger/not so tired & so on.
  • cariliz
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, advice & suggestions. I, of course, had weighed in on the day I started.....but have yet to get "back" on the scale. I tend to be one of those people that build muscle fast and I end up seeing a weight gain.

I didn't however, do any initial measurements.....so I'm off to do them now! I wanna make sure that is my motivation when the scale doesn't reflect my expectations. Thanks again.
  • Kslice39
    Kslice39 Posts: 146
    Options
    I just started this one week ago. i work out everyday and log my food everyday. I was planning on doing weigh ins once a week, because your weight fluctuates throughout the day so its not accurate to weigh yourself everyday. But i got so excited because i feel so much better that i caved in and weighed myself sat. and i had lost 6 lbs! and then i weighed myself today and lost another pound! But im going to start weighing myself once a week, every monday, so i dont become obsessed with the scale lol
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh once a week, starting a week from when I joined MFP.

I got frustrated doing that as weight fluctuates daily and mine can fluctuate quite a bit. So I wold work my butt off, and not see anything.

Now I weigh daily and log on simple weight app on my phone. When I show a consistent weight (like 3 days or so), I log that weight on MFP. It averages to every week or 10 days. So I get the same results overall but I don't get stressed about not hitting a certain number on a certain day.