Peanut Butter

Options
2»

Replies

• frannie_schneider
    Options
    oh yeah, I find pb2 at Hyvee in the natural food section. They usually have trial size bags of them.
  • healthy4self
    Options
    I do like PB2 but I'm also a big fan of the natural stuff. Try pre-portioned Justin's PB or Barney Butter. That way you know how much you are eating.
  • sbeisel1
    sbeisel1 Posts: 181
    Options
    So I had an upset tummy yesterday and wasn't feeling well. I ate my go to sick food which happens to be peanut butter on saltine crackers. Well after a while I realized how much I had eaten and just how many calories I wasted!! Peanut butter is one of my guilty pleasures from time to time but it always ruins my day of hard work. Is there a better way to handle a peanut butter addiction?
    Exchange the crackers for celery, high fiber crackers, multigrain thin sliced bread or a plain spoon, its the saltine crackers that will get you!

I eat PB all the time, i measure it and eat it alone on a spoon or celery sometimes with some apple slices. if im having a sweet craving I add 1/2 tbsp of nutella to 1tbsp of PB for a treat. the taste is sinfull but high protein makes it a good choice for me. Check the lable of the PB make sure they arent adding sugar, "low fat" varieties usually do so do .
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I mix natural peanut butter with a bit of agave and a scoop of vanilla protein powder and then just eat ti with a spoon or put it on a low carb mission white tortilla.
    It's delicious!
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I like almond butter better, Trader Joe's has almond butter with flax seeds, and whole foods has Maranatha brand which I also like. I try to limit to mornings only and I'm in a rush so I take it to go and can't eat more. I will have a tablespoon added to either a banana or a mini pita. Perfect for the morning and I've just stopped having it at night because I will have a little too much.
  • momof2boysvn
    Options
    What is PB2?
  • Russellb97
    Options
    What is PB2?

Powder Peanut Butter from Bell Plantations.

Low fat and extremely good!
  • Russellb97
    Options
    What is PB2?

Powder Peanut Butter from Bell Plantations.

Low fat and extremely good!

http://www.bellplantation.com/
  • Gee45
    Gee45 Posts: 171
    Options
    I love peanut butter soooo much. Must have it every day. I put some on rice cakes and then put some raisons on top of that. Great snack and rice cakes are pretty low cal. But they feel substantial and have a nice crunch.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    PB2 concerns me. Peanuts are an excellent source of healthy fats. So, if it's natural peanut butter, how is it low fat? Also, that pretty much eliminates everything healthy about the peanuts, which are an incredible source of monounsaturated fats.
  • Russellb97
    Options
    PB2 concerns me. Peanuts are an excellent source of healthy fats. So, if it's natural peanut butter, how is it low fat? Also, that pretty much eliminates everything healthy about the peanuts, which are an incredible source of monounsaturated fats.

It is a good source but the overall fat content is very high, making it high in calories.
    I use both regular PB and PB2 depending on my day.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Peanuts are pretty much all polyunsaturated fat, not mono. But I agree why eat this stuff, other than to add a pb flavor without the real taste, which is in the fat.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    100 grams of peanuts contain 24 grams of monounsaturated, and 16 grams of polyunsaturated, basically a 3:2 ratio of mono to poly.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I buy Krema brand natural peanut butter. Only ingredient is peanuts (no salt, sugar, etc). Just keep the portions low and enjoy.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Just use portion control. I always measure out my peanut butter/almond butter. PB2 is a poor substitute imo, and fats are good for you in moderation. 2 tablespoons (or even 1!) is a ton of peanut butter - more than enough for a whole apple or a serving of crackers.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    100 grams of peanuts contain 24 grams of monounsaturated, and 16 grams of polyunsaturated, basically a 3:2 ratio of mono to poly.
    Your right, I opened my trap without looking first. Was thinking about the omega profile, not overall fat content, my bad.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I personally believe PNB is good for you --- especially the natural or something without the palm oil --- like Smart Balance. No question it is loaded with calories though. One session of indulgence won't hurt you. In fact, it's probably good to indulge if you feel like it and only do it on occasion. That's what many nutritionists say. I love peanut butter too and once I get started, it's hard to stop.