DIet and Breast Cancer Prevention

Options
susanswan
susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
Just putting it out there for those who might be interested. This is an email that I got by subscribing to emails from Dr. Fuhrman. Dr. Fuhrman wrote a book called EAT TO LIVE that I just loved reading. It is more than a weight loss book. It is about eating to achieve optimum health through a plant based diet. I agree with the book and philosophy. I realize that many of you have your own beliefs and philosophies that are different from mine. Just sharing one with you for anyone who might be interested. Have a great day!

October was Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Why Awareness? Is there anyone out there who has never heard of Breast Cancer? Do you want to know why it wasn't called Breast Cancer Prevention month? I'll tell you why, because its purpose is not to help women by preventing breast cancer; it is all about money.

It is obvious this pink product promotion kick is all about promoting mammograms so radiologists can make more money. They need plenty of awareness to counter all the recent research from large studies showing that mammograms aren’t too effective.1-3 It is clear that this was just another mammogram campaign and a fund-raising effort designed to save money for the pharmaceutical companies so they don’t have to pay for the drug research to test expensive new chemotherapeutic agents.

If preventing human suffering and women’s lives were the overriding purpose then promoting how to reduce the risk of developing breast cancer would be front and center as the main objective. Women should be getting notified of the scientific evidence that has accumulated in recent years that can enable women to avoid breast cancer. There are powerful protective steps women need to be aware of, such as:

• Exercise
• Stay slim
• Eat lots of green vegetables, and onion, and mushrooms daily
• Do not eat mass factory farmed dairy products, especially those given rBGH
• Stay away from fast foods and insulin promoting refined foods such as white flour and sweets
• Do not eat mass factory farmed meats given antibiotics and growth promoting hormones

Consider: these cancer non-profits are affiliated with drug companies and mammogram machine companies. They are also supported by companies such as Omaha Steaks, Pretzel Crisps, Boar's Head Meats, General Mills, and ACH Foods (which makes margarine and cooking oils for fast food restaurants). They have no interest in preventing cancer, only treating it. The search for the magic "cure" for breast cancer is just another belief system with no reality behind it. I wish you a long life waiting for this to happen - that women can eat fast food, pasta, doughnuts, and bagels with cream cheese every day and then take a magic pill and not get cancer. Never gonna happen. The whole purpose of buying pink and raising money is to actually increase the amount of women with the diagnosis of cancer so they can be tested and treated, making more money for this billion dollar industry.

Hysterical, wasn't it, that Southern Cancer Fried Chicken was selling pink buckets of the cancer-causing (junk food fried) chicken to raise money for breast cancer awareness. A skull and crossbones on the chicken bucket would have made more sense than a pink ribbon, but what do I know. I am sure next year we will see a pink Big Mac with a ribbon around it, and we will be encouraged to drink Pepsi for breast cancer awareness. I say let's have some pink-ribboned cigarettes, and whiskey in pink bottles, too. I wonder if the cocaine pushers will get in on the act. Why not? Maybe even we can get the lawn service technicians that spray toxic weed killer on the neighbor's lawn to dress in pink.

Let me tell you something, a cure is not coming soon. You'd better hedge your bets and eat right.

Click here to comment on this article at diseaseproof.com.
Acknowledgement of conflict of interest. Please note I (Dr. Fuhrman) have an interest in preventing women from getting breast cancer and as the research director of the Nutritional Research Project of the National Health Association am working on a research project on breast cancer prevention. If you are a woman who is willing to take a pledge to follow a nutritarian diet for prevention of cancer (for over 10 years) please put your name on the e-mail list at NutritionalResearch.org so we can contact you with the details as this research trial is fully established in the upcoming months. If interested in learning more about participation please enter your name where it s ays "Sign Up For Updates".

References

1. Gotzsche PC, Nielsen M: Screening for breast cancer with mammography. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2009:CD001877.
2. Wright CJ, Mueller CB: Screening mammography and public health policy: the need for perspective. Lancet 1995;346:29-32.
3. Esserman L, Shieh Y, Thompson I: Rethinking Screening for Breast Cancer and Prostate Cancer. JAMA: The Journal of the American Medical Association 2009;302:1685-1692.

Join our Mailing List and receive a FREE Healthy Times Newsletter of your choice!

Please feel free to forward this to all your family and friends!

DrFuhrman.com | 1-800-474-WELL(9355)

Replies

• melissabee31
    Options
    So many good points. I am so tired of hearing people say they can't wait to "find a cure." There is no cure for cancer. Maybe if we can "cure" our money-driven, oxymoronic society first!
  • Murphy15
    Murphy15 Posts: 142
    Options
    I think it's awesome that you posted this. My mom recently had a double mastectomy and my grandma had a single mastectomy about 10 years ago, so I am certainly very aware of breast cancer. It makes me sad that my mom did all the things on the prevention list, but got it anyway. Can't hurt to live healthy though!
  • stormy213
    stormy213 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    This is definitely a big gripe of mine as my mom is dying of stage 4 breast cancer after "beating it" 10 years ago. The pink fluff is a joke....I gag every time I see the displays in stores. Let's face it, we are already "aware" breast cancer is out there. However are people aware that 90% of breast cancer deaths are caused by metastatic disease?

A mere 2% of research monies are dedicated to metastatic breast cancer and good old Komen spends millions of money they raise suing local events that dare to use "their" phrase "for the cure".

Sorry to vent, but since my mom's diagnosis I have done a lot of research and have really been disheartened at what I have found.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry about your mom. I hate to say it, but I find that charities seem to mainly raise money for their employees under the guise of doing good deeds. The name of the charity makes you want to donate until you find out that 90% or some ridiculous portion of the money actually goes to the CEO and other big wigs first and then the pittance goes to help those who are really in need! Just sickening.
  • kysammy
    kysammy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm a survivor and I am asking that you change your opinion. We need to find a cure going through chemo and radiation stinks. I need all women to have a positive outlook and demand that we find a cure! I received all my treatments from the James Graham Brown Center in Louisville Kentucky and if I had a doctor who didn't believe I... well I would have just given up.

As I tell everyone, breast cancer has been the worse and best thing that has happen to me. The worse in that I hope no other woman ever has to go through chemo, but thanks to donated dollars the process allowed me to receive treatment and still work to support my family, which meant loads to me. Those donated dollars brought care to everyone who entered the doors at JGBC and because of those dollars the chemo drugs have other drugs to help you feel somewhat normal. so please don't stop giving, i along with millions of women want to believe that there will be a cure.

The best in that the women I have met from Komen, and Gilda's club are now my lifelong friends who have been so inspirational. They are the survivors who have donate their time to give all of us hope! My cancer was caught on a mammogram and there are no other women in my family network with breast cancer. I did all the right things only to be caught by the disease. So please don't stop giving, in Louisville at least 75+% of dollars raised remains in Louisville. If you really want to make a difference support Healthcare reform tell your representatives that we aren't going to take it anymore... everyone deserves treatment and HOPE
  • stormy213
    stormy213 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I'm a survivor and I am asking that you change your opinion. We need to find a cure going through chemo and radiation stinks. I need all women to have a positive outlook and demand that we find a cure! I received all my treatments from the James Graham Brown Center in Louisville Kentucky and if I had a doctor who didn't believe I... well I would have just given up.

As I tell everyone, breast cancer has been the worse and best thing that has happen to me. The worse in that I hope no other woman ever has to go through chemo, but thanks to donated dollars the process allowed me to receive treatment and still work to support my family, which meant loads to me. Those donated dollars brought care to everyone who entered the doors at JGBC and because of those dollars the chemo drugs have other drugs to help you feel somewhat normal. so please don't stop giving, i along with millions of women want to believe that there will be a cure.

The best in that the women I have met from Komen, and Gilda's club are now my lifelong friends who have been so inspirational. They are the survivors who have donate their time to give all of us hope! My cancer was caught on a mammogram and there are no other women in my family network with breast cancer. I did all the right things only to be caught by the disease. So please don't stop giving, in Louisville at least 75+% of dollars raised remains in Louisville. If you really want to make a difference support Healthcare reform tell your representatives that we aren't going to take it anymore... everyone deserves treatment and HOPE

I would never tell anyone not to donate. There are many very reputable agencies out there that actually help those in need and research institutions trying to find the cure. I think our, (or at least my) gripe is many coroporations get away with making big money for themselves by putting a pink ribbon on it. Basically, know where your money is going.