Need help with a low carb but high Protein meal options....

Options
I met with a Personal trainer on saturday and she suggested that to lose weight I increase my protein and decrease my carbs as carbs turns into sugars. She also gave me a 4-6 week workout plan. I am excited to do this I just have run into a issue of things I can eat! Any help or advice or even recipes will be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• bhoochy
    bhoochy Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Shrimp!!!!
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Shrimp, salmon, chicken, eggs, cheese all are great protein boosters with little or no carbs. Tuna is also good.
  • Dayquasar
    Dayquasar Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Hemp Protein Powder!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    first thing to do is change your MFP defaults if you are following a new plan.
    My Home > Goals > Change goals > Custom

enter in your calories and percentages. I have mine at 40% protein, 30% carb, 30% fat but do whatever they suggested for you.

Second fill your fridge with the following ideas:
    greek yogurt (plain, fage 0% or chobani o% -- the kind with way more protein than sugar, not the sugary flavored ones)
    whey protein powder -- protein shakes are an excellent source, they are are many brands of low carb/low cal/high protein
    lean meats -- chicken, turkey, seafood, fish (watch sodium on seafood if you need to)
    nuts, avocado
    quinoa - excellent high protein grain, low glycemic - they even make quinoa flakes you can use insteaf of oatmeal and pasta.
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    any kind of grilled or baked chicken, fish, lean beef, lamb etc is going to be high protein. Tuna mixed with a little bit of Mayo over a bed of greens is one of my fav high protein meals.
  • MyCoachNYLA
    MyCoachNYLA Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    first thing to do is change your MFP defaults if you are following a new plan.
    My Home > Goals > Change goals > Custom

enter in your calories and percentages. I have mine at 40% protein, 30% carb, 30% fat but do whatever they suggested for you.

Second fill your fridge with the following ideas:
    greek yogurt (plain, fage 0% or chobani o% -- the kind with way more protein than sugar, not the sugary flavored ones)
    whey protein powder -- protein shakes are an excellent source, they are are many brands of low carb/low cal/high protein
    lean meats -- chicken, turkey, seafood, fish (watch sodium on seafood if you need to)
    nuts, avocado
    quinoa - excellent high protein grain, low glycemic - they even make quinoa flakes you can use insteaf of oatmeal and pasta.

Ditto all the above.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I met with a Personal trainer on saturday and she suggested that to lose weight I increase my protein and decrease my carbs as carbs turns into sugars. She also gave me a 4-6 week workout plan. I am excited to do this I just have run into a issue of things I can eat! Any help or advice or even recipes will be greatly appreciated!

avoiding cho because it gets converted into glucose is just silly.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Hamburger patty with a slice of cheese and 2 tablespoons of salsa
    Tuna salad eaten on a bed of lettuce or with celery to scoop it
    Shrimp cocktail using a sauce made with low sugar ketchup
    Romaine salad with grilled chicken and lots of fresh veggies
  • fishsticknh
    Options
    Avoid foreign shrimp. Make sure it's sourced from a US fisherman. Do a little research on the shrimp farms in Vietnam and South America...Not pretty.

Other good sources eggs, certain types of canned fish. You can also learn to make your own beef jerky. :)
  • bhoochy
    bhoochy Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    OH fyi....I can't stomach protein powder so I mix it with chocolate pudding to make it smooth and disguise the taste!!
  • tidmutt
    tidmutt Posts: 317
    Options

Well badly explained, but many people respond well to low carb diets, so not a bad idea. He should really qualify it better, perhaps refined carbs would be a better qualifier, they are generally devoid of anything nutritious anyway.

Also, I wouldn't bother with protein powder. Just eat high protein foods like chicken, other meat.
  • mumof5
    mumof5 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    are you is australia? the CSIRO have a diet book, it was published a while ago so you can pick it up for around $10 now. it is high protien, low carb, i use it more as a recepie book and a guide. a couple of weeks into it and you will have learnt how to guide yourself to the right foods. google it, it may be available online.
  • Rain_Howard
    Options
    A small caveat with protein sources. If you're going to eat more fish, pay attention to the source of that fish. For instance farm raised salmon contains far fewer omega-3s than fresh salmon. They can also taste quite different and contain more nasties than fresh salmon. This is true with most farmed fish.

Chicken and beef can contain large amounts of hormone and other things you probably don't want to consume a lot of. I've found it quite enlightening as well as somewhat frightening to learn not only where my food came from but what was done to it on the way.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options

There are many body types and conditions that respond better to lower carb diets. I am one of them as I carry my weight in the middle, I am formerly type II diabetic and I have PCOS --- lower carb, good carb, high protein works for me. Bad carbs make me feel sick, cause extreme blood sugar crashes and bloating. Of course I still crave them and then regret a donut binge and swear I'll never do it again..

If the trainer was explaining how carbs turn into sugar when you eat a pile of mac and cheese or a bag of chips or donuts -- they were correct. that's the crap we do need to limit. Hopefully they explained that there are plenty of GOOD carbs and we NEED them.

Another good course of protein, good carbs is beans.
  • missay_
    Options
    http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/index.html

my boyfriend is low carb and i have made him MANY things from this site :) good luck!