Eating on the night shift.

Options
Just wondering what other night workers eat. Normally i have a sandwich about 9:30, some soup at 1am and a yougrt bout 6am. I find myself reaching for chocolate or coke about 2am, tying hard to cut them out but cant seem to do it. Any suggestions/?

Replies

• Nikki_is_Knotty
    Nikki_is_Knotty Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I always work night shift so i have a vary set schedule. I work 10p-7am 5 nights a week. On nights that i work i get up and have "breakfast" at9-930, then if im hungry i have a snack at midnight (fruit, nuts, yogurt) then my meal at 2 am and again if i am hungry i have another snack at 5 (but i usually only have 1 snack per night) then if i get off work at go to the gym i eat again at 11 ish then bed time. If i dont go to the gym i eat around 9 am and maybe have another little snack around noon (and bed times at 1-130)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I am interested as well.

I eat backwards. I have "supper" before work or just when I get there, so 7pm or so, snack around 10pm, lunch around 1am, and then a breakfast or light meal at like 3am. I may have a snack between 3 and 7am so I am not starving going to bed.
    My problem isn't eating during the shift, it is eating afterwards. I am terrible for eating while on the computer winding down after backshift.
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I have to work nights also a week a month. I get up have some cereal and then my tea before I go. I eat about 1am and have either cereal, fruit and yoghurt. I also make some low fat soup like veg and eat that if I get hungry, then I will have something before I go to sleep then I dont wake up starving. I also snack on some nuts and raisins to give me a bit of energy. It seems to work for me and before I started being healthy I would crave toast and biscuits to keep me going through the night. I drink loads of water x
  • jmcm1985
    Options
    Well 3 dogs Im kinda like you in that I try to do it all backwards. Njava It would be great to get into a routine but my schedule is all off. Some weeks its 4 nights 7pm-7am, other weeks 2 days 2 nights. Other times I could be on days for a month
  • mrsjenfrank
    mrsjenfrank Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what type of lifestyle change you are doing to help you lose the weight, but to me, it sounds like you need more protein. If you typically use deli meat in your sandwhich, try using cut up roast chicken breast/roast beef/etc instead. Try having a snack around 3am of either some nuts, an apple and pb (or apple and cheese), or even celery and bp. Something small, but that extra protein will help.

I have to do low carb for medical reasons (which sucks because i LOVE my carbs), and I found the extra protein helps me a lot. Sometimes, I will even just snack on a spoon of pb when I am feeling peck-ish. It also helps to kill my sugar craving if I throw one or two mini chocolate chips on my spoon of pb too. :)

Good luck in your journey!