Emotional eating

Options
I am a bad emotional eater. I was wondering if anyone ever felt this way ,. I convince myself that I am hungry whenever I get upset, i get shaky legs, I feel hungry in my stomach but yesterday, I ignored it, and it went away! does that tell me that I was NOT hungry and It WAS anxiety about what I was upset over?

USUALLY, i would go right to the kitchen and eat someting thinking i was hypoglicemic (sp) and thinking "omg i have low blood sugar, i better go eat" even though it was still 30 mins before lunch time.

am i just whacked? Or why does my mind tell me this????

anyone else do this????

Replies

• kimd983
    kimd983 Posts: 39
    Options
    I am a bad emotional eater. I was wondering if anyone ever felt this way ,. I convince myself that I am hungry whenever I get upset, i get shaky legs, I feel hungry in my stomach but yesterday, I ignored it, and it went away! does that tell me that I was NOT hungry and It WAS anxiety about what I was upset over?

USUALLY, i would go right to the kitchen and eat someting thinking i was hypoglicemic (sp) and thinking "omg i have low blood sugar, i better go eat" even though it was still 30 mins before lunch time.

am i just whacked? Or why does my mind tell me this????

anyone else do this????
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    You are not alone.
    I struggle everyday. As long as things are running smoothly in my life, I'm okay. But, as soon as something happens, like schools being cancelled today. I actually posted something not long ago and these wonderful women have made me feel so much better.
    I think the key is to figure out why you want to eat and then to talk to someone. I chose posting on this site and it's really helping. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • alymarest
    alymarest Posts: 115
    Options
    I do!!!
    everytime i'm stressed or upset.:indifferent:
    I start feeling sick and everything
    but the sick feeling goes away and then I'm fine.:happy:
  • theGuest
    theGuest Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    i'm not so much an emotional eater as a bored one.

if i'm bored, i'll eat.

and once i get the ball rolling it's like a snowball effect. i'll keep eating until i write the day off and just eat more.

i've been pretty good about it though. now i try to drink water or nibble on baby carrots, chew gum.

boring i know, but it keep some occupied until it's time to eat something healthy i will enjoy
  • jaxkipi
    jaxkipi Posts: 233
    Options
    Yup. I posted the same thing when I started my healthy eating patterns. I was BAD about eating sweets to deal with my emotions. When I didn't have the sweets anymore, I realized that I was never dealing with the problems...I would eat them away...to feel better and then not deal with the problems. So now...I have to deal with the problems. I can't run to food anymore. I'm becoming a great problem solver. :laugh: I still have my stressful times....but I don't run to food anymore. It's hard, but the outcome is well worth it.:flowerforyou:
  • kimd983
    kimd983 Posts: 39
    Options
    well i did this when i quit smoking! I used to smoke to deal. if i fought with my husband, I would run to my garage, smoke.....smoke ...smoke.....and then feel better and then when i quit?? i didn't know what to do with my self. So i discovered eating!

NOW, i was always a lover of food.....but never was more than 20 lbs overweight my entire life.

now? 45 lbs of pure ME and i need to deal with things better .

I am having an ongoing fight with the darling husband, and i was even toying with sweatpants being my permanant peice of clothing beucase it felt GOOD to be in sweats, an oversized sweatshirt, and having my 15 snacks before dinner. EAT the dinner becuase its TIME to do it.....and then cry most of the night beucase when i walk by a mirror, i want to literally throw up due to looking at the size of my dinner plate of a face. acne, and mean look beucase i am UNHAPPY.

now, exercise feels SO good . If i could just when my husband makes me angry, just jet out to the Y and I would be like the trainer on the Biggest loser i would be So buff!!!! *sigh*
  • nicole0177
    nicole0177 Posts: 377
    Options
    when i get upset or mad i just eat what i want because i tell myself that id care about anything and dont care if im fat!!