Nourishing Traditions

Options
Does anyone else use the "Nourishing Traditions" book? I love that book and everything I've tried out of it so far is good. What are some of your favorites?

I was going to make my own bran flakes but while flipping through the book, I found Kishk. It says it's the only thing they can reccomend as a cold cereal so I made some up over the weekend and tried it out this morning. It wasn't too bad...I'm not used to my cereal being so crunchy though so it will take me a week or two to get used to. I think the next batch I make, I will not dehydrate. I will make a small batch and scoop it straight from the fermenting bowl to eliminate the crunch and I can heat it up on the stove top while I get the dogs' breakfast ready. I'll see which one I like better.

Replies

• linemansgirl
    Options
    I also love NT! My last year has been very tough and stressful and I had gotten away from taking the time to make everything NT style, but I am getting back into it. I actually have a batch of tortillas soaking since last night to make today. :smile: I don't have time to comment much right now, but I wanted to make sure to have this in my topics to come back to later. :happy:
  • asltiffm
    asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I also love NT! My last year has been very tough and stressful and I had gotten away from taking the time to make everything NT style, but I am getting back into it. I actually have a batch of tortillas soaking since last night to make today. :smile: I don't have time to comment much right now, but I wanted to make sure to have this in my topics to come back to later. :happy:

How do you make soaked tortillas? There's not actually a recipe for it in the book that I've found.
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Yes, I, too, try to do as much as I can NT way. I'm buying raw milk, making my own butter and yogurt so I have plenty of whey to soak my freshly ground grains in. People may think it's strange but we are much healthier for eating better!

I do find that I'm having to put a lot of my own recipes in the food section here because of the way I bake.

Another good website for making things and soaking is www.passionatehomemaking.com You'll find a lot of excellent recipes there.
  • linemansgirl
    Options
    This is the tortilla recipe that I used and they turned out great! We LOVED them! I used fresh ground (I have a Nutrimill) hard white wheat. They were soft and tasty, but very easy to roll out and work with. We were very impressed. This was my first time to try this recipe, but it will replace my old one for sure!
    http://gnowfglins.com/2009/08/06/soaked-whole-wheat-tortillas-recipe-conversion/

I haven't made Kishk for ages, I might have to do that this week. :smile:
  • asltiffm
    Options
    Thanks for the links. I'll be sure to check them out. I love homemade tortillas so much so that I refuse to eat store bought ones now. The first time we made them, my husband and I both couldn't believe the difference...and that wasn't even sprouted.

What are some of your favorite recipes from the book?

I guess mine would have to be the sauerkraut one since I use it most often. I will be making some mango chutney from the book tomorrow. Sounds super yummy.

Do you also have the book, "Preserving Food without canning, freezing..."? I really want to get that one.
  • linemansgirl
    Options
    Quite honestly I have used NT as more of a guide and for some of the basics, not so much as a recipe book. So many of the recipes are quite.....interesting and don't go over very well. Even with my not at all picky family. There are so many wonderful websites out there with great NT/Weston Price info and recipes that are a bit more "normal". :happy:
  • linemansgirl
    Options
    Last night I was reading a NT recipe blog and she said something to the effect of, "You can definitely tell that Sally Fallon is a nutritionist, not a baker!" :laugh: That is definitely what I have found! I am a good baker, but I could have killed someone with the bricks that my Rye sourdough bread made when I tried that recipe.

You inspired me to make kishk again, we are having that for breakfast this morning. :smile:
  • asltiffm
    Options
    Lol that's funny! I haven't tried any of her baking recipes. I will keep that in mind in the future though. So far, I've mostly just used the fermenting recipes along with a couple other main dishes and grains.
  • DavisKarenR
    Options
    I also love NT, but I'm really new to it. I tried making the buttermilk biscuits in the NT book and turned out to be hockey pucks. I'm next going to try making kefir. I've already got some kefir grains coming in the mail. :-)