Why do you lose inches but not weight?

Options
I've been working out and eating under my weight loss goal. So far I have only lost one pound but I lose 8 inches from waist...why is that I am losing inches but not weight?

Replies

• tiggerbounce411
    tiggerbounce411 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    BUMP..Curious myself about this
  • prunella1066
    prunella1066 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    BUMP..Curious myself about this

Me too!!
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    You could have gained muscle mass and lost fat. In theory.
  • 8dozendiets
    Options
    Why does everyone lose inches except me????? ;(
  • Nikki_is_Knotty
    Nikki_is_Knotty Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    You could have gained muscle mass and lost fat. In theory.

ditto
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Are you complaining? Haha, no I understand and hear this quite often. I'd say it's due to muscle gains. Muscle is MUCH denser than fat, so if you put on a little muscle while losing some fat, the difference in inches will be much greater as opposed to weight.
  • NicLiving
    NicLiving Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Oh My Goodness! So, I'm not crazy lol. I have been asking people this all month. I went from 39" to 34" and only lost 1.4#
    I thought I needed a new scale lol. :laugh: :tongue: :laugh:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Body composition is shifting.
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me a lot too... I DO think it's the muscle... because I've dropped inches, and the scale hasn't moved at all during a 3 month scale plateau. Better inches then nothing.. ;)
  • Sepheara
    Sepheara Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    1lb of muscle weighs the same as 1 ln of fat but is more dense, it takes up less space, so you you will lose inches because muscle takes up less space, but not lose weight because 1lb = 1 lb weather its fat or not.
  • Cfkearney
    Cfkearney Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat. It is also leaner than fat. That's why people have a tendency to lose inches before they lose pounds. The pounds will come. The more muscle you have the faster the calories burn. Personally, I think the inches are more important. I just want to fit into my skinny jeans. I don't care how much I weigh if I can do them up! :)
  • bens_mommy
    Options
    From the way I understand it, a pound of fat takes up more room than a pound of muscle (since muscle is indeed denser than fat).

The result is, you're burning fat and replacing it with muscle. Since there is less fat and more muscle, there's less "stuff" hanging out on your body, and voila, you're smaller. =]

This is why measuring in addition to the scale are more effective than just the scale alone.
  • jmxxiiii
    jmxxiiii Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    you "gain muscle"
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    it's the weight of everybody's jealousy on your shoulders
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Because even if you are in calorie deficit, depending on how you exercise, sleep, and nutrients you consume, fluctuation of water in muscle, under skin, etc. can keep your weight up.
    It's practically impossible to gain muscle on calorie deficit. But it's not hard to have fluid in your body be retained by how the cells react to sodium, potassium and even niacin.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    8" is a pretty big number not to have lost any weight. IMHO here.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    So many intelligent thoughts going on in this thread..
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    My head is still spinning at the thought of lean fat.
  • KnottyJen
    KnottyJen Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you might have a parasite: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/386975-parasites

I just spit soup everywhere....Thanks a lot....
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    My head is still spinning at the thought of lean fat.
    Wait, fat is lean? I thought muscle was lean and fat was fatty. I am so confused.