question for Weight watchers /MFP members

Options
I just joined weight watchers and I use it along w/ mfp to keep track of my nutrition. I have a general question, how many servings of free foods are we to eat each day? what should be the limit. mfp shows im under calories which is good, but I know there has to be some kind of limit right?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    No free foods. This site is more about fitness and nutrition. We count calories. It's free.

That said, veggies are WW "free" foods. They are super important for nutrition. So I'd say eat more veggies.
  • newdaynewme
    newdaynewme Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    sorry I should have been more precise.. how many servings of "free foods like fruits/ veggies" should I consume with the WW plan.. mfp is very explanatory and I really appreciate that!
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    WW (from what I remember) said you can have as many "free" foods as you want, however, even those free foods have calories. I would eat as many as you can fit into your allotted calories for the day.
  • cspence2270
    cspence2270 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Sorry there are no FREE foods on MFP-

I've done weight watchers too and it was an eye opener to look at the calories in fruits and veggies. i used to be able to fill up on those free foods when I did WW and now I have to count those calories. Which in my opinion is a better way to go- those FREE foods have calories, just less calories. I do try to eat more of them than the higher calorie foods, just because I can have more. Good Luck.
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    IMO, fruits are never 'free'. They can be loaded with sugars and high in calories, still good for you - but.. calories add up.

Eat as much veggies as you'd like, steer clear from loading up on heavy startchy vegetables like corn, carrots, peas.

What is your caloric goal on MFP? Are you 29 pts with WWs?
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    "free" food is crazy.

Let's say that you hit your calorie/points target. But you had 3 bananas that you thought were "Free". You're actually 300 cals over your target.

Anything that says you can have as much of X or Y as you like is crazy. Everything, other than water, has calories. If you eat enough lettuce you'll put on weight.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I quit using WW a few months back, but am familiar with the Points + program. The GHG say you should have at least 5 servings of F&V a day.

According to the Points+ program most of those are "free".

However if you are going to track here as well, they're not free.

I did a couple week comparison between the programs... journaling here, and taking the Cals, Fib, Fat, Carb from MFP and converting them to WW points (but I counted fruit). It worked out to my eating about 5 -7 extra "points" per day. I dropped WW and opted for the no pay option, but I use my good eating tips from WW here.
  • cspence2270
    cspence2270 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    the information on FREE foods for WW will be in the books and papers that you got when you started.
  • newdaynewme
    Options
    Im reading the WW book at it states to eat as much as you would like.. I will just use both mfp and WW for a month together to see how they compare... my WW points I get 35 and mfp gives me 1800 cals per day. thanks for your help! (not including the extra weekly points given)
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Your good health guidlines state that you get 5 servings of Fruits and veggies a day. So that's about 3 servings of veggies and 2 fruits. Now just remember that not all fruits and veggies are free. Check your food list to make sure which ones aren't free. And all foods have calories. So even if they are "free" you can not just eat your weight in them or you will most def gain. If you are under calories but on point target you can go ahead and eat a free food just for the caloric intake.
  • TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I think the whole point of instigating the "free fruits & veggies" was so people would be more likely to get at least the daily recommended servings of fruits & veggies because they are "free".

A lot of people (myself included) don't get the daily recommended servings of fruits & veggies so I definitely think it was beneficial to incorporate this for Weight Watchers. However, it is necessary to keep in mind that while they are good for you, they do have caloric value.
  • newdaynewme
    Options
    thank u! i just found the info I needed in the ghg!