Working at a pizza place

Options
Oh gosh, I work at a pizza place for the night shift and it is SO hard not to eat anything. I usually don't have much food at my house so I don't either have time to make food before work or have the food to make before work. What are some good tips to stop this eating there? Pizza is like my one weakness, I cant stop eating it. Thanks!

Replies

• nolehusker
    Options
    Maybe make it some what of a reward type thing.

Something like, if you don't eat any pizza during the week, at the end of the week you can have 2 or 3 slices guilt free.

It sucks but you're going to have to lear self control.
  • casaosin
    casaosin Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that I have to work on. Self control is SO hard when you have 50% off and are constantly surrounded by it.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    You identified the problem yourself. Get some food at your house.
  • Cysso
    Cysso Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    On one of your days off you can make some meals for the week and then pull one out before work instead of trying to make food right before. It worked well for me when I was working right next to the candy at my old job. Maybe chew some gum at work so that you already have something to keep your mouth busy. I also agree with nolehusker, make it a reward so you're not depriving yourself. Good luck!
  • nolehusker
    Options
    Agreed. Especially when it's delicious goodness. But just think, if you can learn to control yourself around this, then you can control yourself around almost anything.
  • TMasticTB
    TMasticTB Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    When I was 16, I worked my first job at an ice cream place (Bruster's Real Ice Cream, for those of you in the northeast US). I grew up on this stuff as a kid, and it was a dream come true (for a first job, anyway). I actually lost weight working there. It was more of a combination of running around the store, super-cleaning the store every night, and just staying busy. Sure, when it was slow, I would "taste-test" to make sure everything was fantastic (and it was), but keeping myself busy was the key point.

But if it's always slow, and you just can't resist pizza, you may find the temptation to be too much. Or, figure out the calorie intake of one slice of your pizza, put it up on your wall, and look at it every time before you go to work and ask yourself "is it worth it?"
  • smpreston
    smpreston Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Shop and put food in your fridge. Pack your meals and be done with it. Just because the pizza price is right, doesn't mean it is the right choice.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Ouch that sounds rough. I love pizza as well. Cheesy bready goodness lol but yeah maybe you can pack a nice healthy meal. I find that if I stuff myself with salad and a nice high protein item I just can't think of eating anymore.
  • nolehusker
    Options
    You identified the problem yourself. Get some food at your house.

Going by she's 17 this may be her first job and she may not be able to do that right now, but this is the right path
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Don't eat pizza, it's full of bad carbs!

Insert sarcasm emocon
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I worked at Cracker Barrel for 4 years, and the way I handled it was I did NOT eat the food while I was working... period. If I was really hungry, there were a few "go-to" meals that I would have... the grilled chicken tenders and a tossed salad, or just a cup of soup, for instance. But I never had the full-on, southern-style unhealthy stuff while I was on the clock. (I usually found it very hard to find time to eat during a shift anyway-- I can recall a good number of shifts when we were too busy for any breaks at all!!)

Is there anything at the pizza place that's not super bad for you? If so, maybe you could only let yourself eat those things while you're on the clock. If not, you may just need to bring in some food with you.

My system worked pretty well though-- I would let myself have Cracker Barrel on occasion, but never while on the clock (except for those healthy exceptions I mentioned above). That way, I saved it for a special treat, rather than scarfing down hundreds of calories every time I worked a shift.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    You know, you can eat pizza and still lose weight. Work it into your meal plan.
  • denisegolden
    denisegolden Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    im surprised you still like pizza...i work at a wonder/hostess outlet and cant stand most of the food we sell...lol...anyways, does your work offer other choices like salad? or like maybe "healthy" up your pizza, like crunchy thin crust over classic or pan, ham over bacon, sausage or pepperoni, no-light sauce over regular or heavy, light cheese over regular or extra, lots of veggies... but most of all i would say...no exactly what you are eating, only eat at designated meal/snack times and getting most of your nutrients from store bought(as opposed to restaurant) fresh foods si always a better options. good luck hon.
  • casaosin
    casaosin Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yeah about the whole getting food thing, Im still a teen living with my parents so unfortunatly I don't buy the food nor do I have the money to get my own food.
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Yeah about the whole getting food thing, Im still a teen living with my parents so unfortunatly I don't buy the food nor do I have the money to get my own food.

Okay, but I'm assuming there is food in your house... right? can you pack some up and bring it with you to work? What do you eat when you're NOT at work... you have to have a source of food somewhere!!! lol
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Make yourself cheeseless veggie pizza. Maybe sprinkle on a bit of parm, but ditch the mozzarella. Still tastes great and many fewer calories.
  • smpreston
    smpreston Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Why ot request that your parents buy better food for you? I'm sure they'll want you to eat healthy.