How Long?

Options
Hello everyone. I just joined last week and am looking to lose 10-15 lbs. I lost about that much last year before my wedding and have somehow managed to gain it all back and then some! I know this isn't much compared to what some people are trying to lose but I am short (5'3") and it is enough to make me feel quite uncomfortable with my body. Anyway, I am just wondering how long it took people to see results. I know it will take probably at least six months of healthy eating and exercise to get close to where I was before/where I want to be. When I did this the first time around it seemed like it took FOREVER and only towards the end did I notice a lot of movement on the scale. I had to rely on how my clothes fit and how I looked and felt. Anyway, I guess I am just wondering how much weight you lost before you (or someon else) noticed the weight loss and how long it took. I know there is no easy soution but I just need some motivation to get started again. Thanks!

Replies

• kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Just remember this isn't a race.

I'm seeing the scale move - but I'm at the gym at least 5-6 times a week (sometimes twice in one day) and watching my calories very closely. I'm doing a weight loss competition at my gym, though.

A healthy goal is about 1 pound a week, so if you're meeting your calorie intake recommended by MFP then you should see a loss of about that. Everyone is different, though, but 1 pound a week is a pretty reasonable goal.
  • Deckershann
    Deckershann Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    7 inches I mean umm wait what?

I'm similar height and it just depends on how hard I workout. I've lost 15 pounds in the month of February before. Probably not the healthiest thing to do but it's possible. On average, if I workout 5-6 days every week burning 300+ calories I can lose around a pound a week.
  • sunnygirlsings
    Options
    It is best to expect a max of 2 lbs a week. Don't forget to drink lots of water and exercise EVERYDAY. Even if it means a 15 minute walk, just move! That is my greatest challenge but when I do it, I lose the weight quickly! Good luck!!!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I did not have a lot to lose and I lost around .5/week on average to get to my goal. Results were fitting into my old clothes. How long...not sure...months for sure! I took it slow to keep it off for good!!
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I've been here for a week... I dropped a lot of water weight this first week, feeling better already! :) That was great motivation for me. It certainly couldn't have been more than a pound of fat, but I didn't care, bloat was gone and I felt better - and seeing the scale go down 6 lbs was very motivating!! :D

I've been reading up a bit on water weight - I think you mostly lose water weight by drinking more water, eating fewer sugary/salty foods. Maybe if you load up on veggies and fruits especially just for that first week, dropping a lot of water weight will give you the boost of motivation you're looking for. :)
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    It is best to expect a max of 2 lbs a week. Don't forget to drink lots of water and exercise EVERYDAY. Even if it means a 15 minute walk, just move! That is my greatest challenge but when I do it, I lose the weight quickly! Good luck!!!

2lbs/week is not a good idea when you only have 10 to lose. According to the experts....
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Give it a good week to 10 days and then if results come sooner you'll be pleasantly surprised!