Triathlon Newbie

Options
Hi,

I have been training for my first Triathlon sprint for the last 8 weeks. Is there any other triathletes out there? I'd love to hear your experiences, and about how you train. I've also lost 30 lbs over past 4 months, so it's obviously working!

Toonzy (:

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'm here.

I don't have a set training schedule, I just do what I can when I can. I do want to do more bike/run bricks next summer to improve my runs though.

Good luck in yours! When is it?
  • CeloTX
    CeloTX Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm here too. Started training for my first tri in December of last year. I have done three sprints and while I'm not training as actively as I was, I'm happy to help in any way that I can. I aim to complete an Olympic tri next season though so the training will get kicked up soon. Good luck!!
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I've been training for a couple months for one next spring! =] Don't have a whole lot of tips but add me if you'd like!
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I am planning to do my first sprint tri sometime next year. I wish I had info to share but I'm actually in the same boat, would love to hear more about the experienced tri-athletes' training and in particular I'd love to hear what you guys are doing to train for the swimming portion.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    This is my first season. I've completed 3 sprints and have a HIM scheduled for the first week of December.

Check out
    www.beginnertriathlete.com

Great source of info.
  • TnTHawkins
    TnTHawkins Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    No advice, but plan on doing tri's after I'm able to do my first full marathon. Add me if you like.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    A few basic tips...

- Find time to swim in open water. Dealing with waves and murky water and the rest can't be simulated in the pool.
    - Do bike/run bricks - transitioning from the bike to the run is hard on your body
    - Practice transitions... they are easy, but there's a lot of adrenalin pumping and things racing through your head.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Just finished my first season. Coincidentally I was plagued with injury for the majority, so I only got to do 2 Sprints. One of which the Swim was cancelled due to high eColi levels in the lake. I got a real one under my belt and in the process learned a whole heck of a lot about triathlon. Im planning 3 Sprints and an Oly next year and potentially a HIM if I can get my swim in line good enough.

feel free to ask me questions and dig through my blog in my sig for information.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I'm here. This was my second season. I did my first one in 2010, and two more that season. This year, I returned to my first race and took 15 minutes off my time. Unfortunately, I work shift work and our vacations are booked at the beginning of the year. The races here are pretty scarce, so I wasn't able to make any more this year. I am looking at doing an olympic next season.

Jacksonpt gave some good tips. Another I would mention would be not to cheap out on a wetsuit and get one that isn't made for swimming. I made that mistake, it wasn't pretty.

ETA - I am not "training" right now. I go to masters swim at least twice a week, ideally, cycle and am working on my running.
  • mulsas
    mulsas Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have done a few in the past. I was never comptetive, it was more for fun and the challenge for me. The point about a wet suit is a good one, depending on water temps in your location. My thoughts:
    Swim - If you have never done an open water swim before, it is definately a different thing. Take it easy and try avoid clumps of swimmers, which will just increase the chances of getting kicked. I would look up and in front of me every few stokes to make sure I'm heading straight, it is easy to get going sideways without a refernce point.
    Transition - It may slow you down a touch, but I liked having a towel to clean off my feet after the swim. If you are at a location that has you coming in from a beach, a bucket or something like that with water in it will help get the sand off your feet.

Other than that, just keep a comfortable pace. And have fun, and enjoy the accomplishment when you cross that line!
  • toonzy
    toonzy Posts: 28
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will add you guys so I can keep in touch.

I've been following a set programme which has bricks included as well as training in each discipline seperately. This week is the toughest week yet...next week I'm tailing off in prep for the big race. I am absolutely addicted to the training! Really enjoying it, so looking forward to my next challenge!

Cheers guys (:
  • Kilter
    Kilter Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm a middle of the pack age grouper who has the triathlon bug :)

I'm training for my second Ironman which will be in August in Penticton, BC (Canada).

This is the off season, so my training is all about keeping fit, losing some weight and building my base.

Right now I'm biking 3 times a week (not counting commuting on my bike) and running 3 times a week. No swimming yet as I've been super swamped.

I'm not a pro by any stretch, but I'd be happy to share any information I have about what's worked and not worked for me and the friends I've trained with.

Feel free to add me.

S
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options

Jacksonpt gave some good tips. Another I would mention would be not to cheap out on a wetsuit and get one that isn't made for swimming. I made that mistake, it wasn't pretty.

This...Go Cheap on Shoes Go cheap on bike components BUT NEVER GO CHEAP on the wetsuit. Mistake Learned
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Just started training for my first Ironman next year.

I never thought I'd grow to love swimming so much :smile:

If any of you want some mutual support and motivation, feel free to add me.
  • fitrunnermd
    Options
    bump
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I started tri's this year and did 2 sprints. Practice swimming in the body of water you are competing in. I cannot stress enough how brutal open water is compared to a pool. If you practice in a pool, I advise swimming twice the distance of your race to get the feel of how tired you will be. Also, everyone will tell you to practice bricks with bike & run, but practice at least once the swim/bike brick as well. For most people, they are really surprised getting on the bike how tired they feel from the swim...more so you aren't surprised at a low energy level than to adapt your muscles to the transition.

Add me if you want to. I'm in offseason for now and focusing on running, but I still bike & swim as much as possible.