Starvation mode

Options
How can I get my body out of starvation mode?

Replies

• pmich08
    pmich08 Posts: 193
    Options
    Eat some food
  • lovinlife71
    Options
    eat the minimum number of calories...including your exercise calories.:smile:
  • tiggerbounce411
    tiggerbounce411 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Eat more calories. If you are in starvation mode, then you aren't eating enough.
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    eat the minimum number of calories...including your exercise calories.:smile:

both of the above answers. it's hard to know more about where you are at without more info. good luck! :happy:
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Eat! Sorry, but it's true. If you're body is starving the only way to stop it is to increase your food intake. Do it carefully or you'll make yourself sick. Add some fruit like apples or bananas, some healthy fats like from nuts and avocado, increase your lean protein. MFP generally doesn't list amount of protein high enough. You should eat between .54 and 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight. That can be quite a bit so do it slowly and judge for yourself.
  • brynakrauth
    Options
    How do you know you're in "starvation mode"?
  • twotoforty73
    twotoforty73 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should see a doctor and get advice from a professional?
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    how do you know that your in it ?
  • happymiche
    happymiche Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Aim for 1200 net calories per day...be sure to eat back at least some of your workout calories to get to that number!
  • oswaldbowser
    oswaldbowser Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    How do you know you're in "starvation mode"?

I totally agree how do you know you are in starvation mode (if their is such a thing because many experts say different)....
  • kettch00
    Options
    Ive been in starvation mode several times back in 08. any diet lower than 1200 calories a day is starving your body of nutrition and valuable needed energy resources to get you through a active day. Ive heard of celebrity get on the 800 calories diet and it can have detrimental effects on your metabolism, nervous system, and muscle/circulatory system. Also major brain functions will suffer.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Lack of weight loss has nothing to do with starvation mode..........and starvation mode kicks in when the body is trying to preserve the last of it's fat stores, which happens in the 5% bf area. A calorie deficit will and does dictate weight loss and it seems that most people miscalculate the outside of the energy balance equation, well pretty much everyone does to some degree simply because of the many factors involved. I would suggest you track everything you eat perfectly, buy weight, and take a look at that in a few weeks to see exactly how much your eating. Exercise calories burned is another hot bed of misinformation that mucks up the math machinery.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Eat some food

Ditto

Try eating maintenance calories, or slightly below, for 2-3 weeks. You may put on a couple of pounds at first, once you stop gaining lower your caloric intake to a safe deficit and start losing again.
  • lalamanda
    Options
    I know that I am in starvation mode because :
    -I am only able to eat 600-1000 calories a day
    -cannot lose weight and am actually slowly gaining weight
    -no energy

I do have a stomach condition called Gastroparesis. google it to get more info, but it leaves me unable to eat since it takes hours and sometimes days to digest small amounts of food. I cannot have nuts, seeds, or fibrous foods. No raw fruits or veggies, no whole grain anything, no red meat. As odd as this sounds I am trying to lose some weight but am unable to no matter what I do.

Anyways, thank you for all your help :)
  • Kloss914
    Kloss914 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Lack of weight loss has nothing to do with starvation mode..........and starvation mode kicks in when the body is trying to preserve the last of it's fat stores, which happens in the 5% bf area. A calorie deficit will and does dictate weight loss and it seems that most people miscalculate the outside of the energy balance equation, well pretty much everyone does to some degree simply because of the many factors involved. I would suggest you track everything you eat perfectly, buy weight, and take a look at that in a few weeks to see exactly how much your eating. Exercise calories burned is another hot bed of misinformation that mucks up the math machinery.
    Oh, if it were this simple !!! I count everything that I eat (pretty clean) and am a runner, spinner and all out active girl. I have lost 54 lbs. and am completely stalled with 15 to 20 to go !!!!!!!!!!!!! It sometimes isn't as simple as that. I eat, sleep and dream about my "goal" only to step on that scale every week to exactly ( I mean EXACTLY ) the same number for more than two months now !!!!!
  • laceyfowler
    laceyfowler Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Wow, your health condition sounds like it makes it very difficult to eat well - either healthfully or enjoyably! I don't envy you on that :-/
    Because you have such specific needs related to a medical condition, I Really urge you to seek advice from your doctor on this one. There are many well-intentioned people on here who may have tips and tricks that are great for lots of people, but generally (unless they are a doctor or at least have experience with Gastroparesis) they don't have the expertise to give you safe, healthy advice when taking your medical condition into consideration.
    I hope your doctor is able to provide some you with guidance on this. Also, you may have already looked, but just in case you haven't: between now and your doctor's appointment if you want to do some research, the mayo clinic and the national institute of health (nih.gov) do have some general guidelines... but of course both also recommend that you seek information specific to you through your doctor.
    I wish you well on your journey toward being healthier :-)
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Oh, if it were this simple !!! I count everything that I eat (pretty clean) and am a runner, spinner and all out active girl. I have lost 54 lbs. and am completely stalled with 15 to 20 to go !!!!!!!!!!!!! It sometimes isn't as simple as that. I eat, sleep and dream about my "goal" only to step on that scale every week to exactly ( I mean EXACTLY ) the same number for more than two months now !!!!!
    What are you going to do? Eat to lose weight, which is normally the advice or reduce your calories enough to start losing again?
  • Kloss914
    Kloss914 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    What are you going to do? Eat to lose weight, which is normally the advice or reduce your calories enough to start losing again?
    I've tried both... strict 1200 and any range from 1500 to 1800.... scale still not moving !!!!!!!!!!!! Feel free to make suggestions !!!!!!!!
  • neanderthin
    Options
    I've tried both... strict 1200 and any range from 1500 to 1800.... scale still not moving !!!!!!!!!!!! Feel free to make suggestions !!!!!!!!
    I would need to see your food diary. There may be something medical as well, PCOS, thyroid etc, maybe talk to a Dr. and get checked.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Ah, the daily starvation mode thread.