Looking To Buy An Elliptical

Options
My wife and I are looking to buy an elliptical trainer hopefully in the 500 - 700 range. Does anybody have any good suggestions?
Thanks for the help.

Replies

• cegeland
    cegeland Posts: 25
    Options
    My wife and I are looking to buy an elliptical trainer hopefully in the 500 - 700 range. Does anybody have any good suggestions?
    Thanks for the help.
  • alaskagal
    alaskagal Posts: 326
    Options
    Thanks for the help.

We have a Schwin 430. I think it was rated a best buy. Check out the info on amazon.com
    http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-430-Elliptical-Trainer/dp/B000JF20LI/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1204757204&sr=8-1

We had orginially thought to spend more but love this one. No complaints as long as you keep the tracks clean as they aren't covered. I just wipe it off daily when I'm through working out -- it's no big deal.

Good luck
    :flowerforyou:
  • alaskagal
    Options
    :noway: it double quoted me -- don't know what's up with that. Sorry
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    According to Consumer Reports elliptical trainers are gaining ground. Named for the elliptical motion of their pedals, they are a fusion of stair climber and cross-country ski machine. There's no motor; you provide the pedal power and adjust the resistance.

They believe the best buy is the Nordic Trac Audio Strider 990 for $1000. The next system down is the Schwinn 430 for $800 but the ergonomics were rated as only "good" but the rest of the ratings for construction, exercise range, and ease of use were rated very good to excellent.

The top most rated system was the Precor 5.31 for $3700 and the two DO NOT buy are the Dimondback 460 ef for $1100 and the Nautilus NE 3000 for $2700.

Hope this helps. Bob
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    Alaska Gal what did you pay for your elliptical? I noticed that the price suggested by Consumer Reports is higher than that on the link you gave. I'm interested because we've been looking for one as well. Thanks
  • alaskagal
    Options
    Alaska Gal what did you pay for your elliptical? I noticed that the price suggested by Consumer Reports is higher than that on the link you gave. I'm interested because we've been looking for one as well. Thanks

We paid around 700ish but keep in mind we are in Alaska and everything cost more here :tongue:

It really is a very nice mid-range product. We bought it new from Play It Again Sports and were able to take it for a test drive before purchasing.

As a previous heavy treadmill user I wasn't sure how I would like the switch but I love it!

:flowerforyou:
  • healthychic
    healthychic Posts: 298
    Options
    All I know is, don't by WESLO brand!!! Not a good brand. very cheaply made. Precor is good, and even Image is pretty good
  • cegeland
    cegeland Posts: 25
    Options
    Thanks for all the great info and help. I think we are going to go to a local fitness shop this weekend and see what types they have and at least now I have a couple of ideas of what to look for.
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    I looked on craigslist for one and found a lady selling one for $300, new, still in the box, her kids had given it to her hoping she'd get the hint I suppose and she sold it. If you're not in a hurry you can often find people this time of year who made the commitment at New Years to do good, now the machine is collecting dust in the corner and they just want it to go.

I have a used one that I love, but it is a cheapie from walmart that I got used and I will outgrow it by the end of summer. I went from level one, tension one to level 8 tension 4 in only two months and it only goes to level eight, tension 8. It has 6 basic programs, of which I can kick butt on all of them, and I don't think it lets me enter weight or age or anything like that. My friend sells equipment for a living and he said to buy one with the widest stride you can find, 14 being better than an 11, and one that spaces your feet as close together as you can so that you are walking in a more normal stride. It should feel like you're walking. Lots of people report that they experience numbness and that has to do with the way you walk on it. Chris said to make sure you walk like you would walk normally and not keep your feet flat on the pedal or your feet will definitely go to sleep. Good luck.
  • Lydia28
    Lydia28 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have also been looking at ellipticals but have a couple questions. Ellipticals are low impact on your knees, correct? Also what is the difference between a front driven elliptical: http://www.bayoufitness.com/Endurance-E5-Electronic-Elliptical-by-Body-Solid-256 or rear driven: http://www.bayoufitness.com/Detail.bok?no=160(the prices are significantly lower for rear driven...maybe thats bad?) or center driven: http://www.bayoufitness.com/Ironman-Achiever-Dual-Action-Elliptical-Trainer-251
    i am ready to put down the money for one. I work from home so I am always here. It would be great to break up the monotony of working by working out. There are too many different options in ellipticals though so I am at a loss. Any ideas?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,045 Member
    Options
    Lots of people report that they experience numbness and that has to do with the way you walk on it. Chris said to make sure you walk like you would walk normally and not keep your feet flat on the pedal or your feet will definitely go to sleep. Good luck.

OMG! catlover - thank you for that little bit of information about numbness. I have really long legs and my left foot always goes numb about 40 minutes into a workout on an elliptical. But I get a much better stretch and I read that you want to keep feet flat because it makes you use more muscles. BUT I have no idea where I read that - I don't even know if it's true.

I'll stop thinking I'm going to have a stroke. :laugh: I have asked many people about the numbness, and no one had any ideas. Glad to hear it isn't just me. I learn something from mfp every day!

~Cheryl