Good alternative to cheese?

Options
Hello everyone,

I'd like to stop eating so much cheese. As I'm barely eating any meat (no pork and beef at all), I started to put solely cheese on my bread. But it's too fatty. And I haven't really thought about any other solutions.
So - what do you put on your bread?

Replies

• Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Laughing cow light cheese, each wedge is only 35 calories and they come in a few flavors.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I say laughing cow too. There is just no substitute for cheese lol. But you can make better cheese choices.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    You can cut it out completely for now, and add it back in when you're at or close to goal. Or just use less of it, and fit it in.
  • littlesis412
    littlesis412 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I love having humus on Sara Lee thin-buns.
  • Maggieq87
    Maggieq87 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I love cheese! I just buy the lowest cal stuff I can find.
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    On bread I prefer pb, jelly, hummus ... and that's about it. Or you can make a delicious veggie sandwich. I don't eat many sandwiches anymore.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    There is no substitute for the cheesey goodness of cheese! I <3 it so much!
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I love the laughing cow cheese wheels. But don't forget that eating fat doesn't make you fat, you need some healthy fat for your body to stay healthy, so don't take cheese all the way out of your diet, especially if you don't eat a lot of meat.
  • rainb0w
    Options
    I'm living in Germany, I have never seen Laughing Cow cheese here. But I'll be on the lookout.
    @ GuruMeditation: I would really like to cut it out as much as possible. That's why I need alternatives :-)
    @ littlesis412: Thanks for the tip. I haven't even heared of humus yet...
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I hate the "diet" cheese...might as well chew on the sole of my shoe. But I have started using the 2% cheese and can't tell the difference. It's simply made with 2% milk instead of whole milk. Nothing wrong with cheese, just fit it into your calories.
  • kjloiselle
    kjloiselle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    If you must have a cheese product, I too vote for laughing cow or the weight watchers wedges. i find then that i don't need real cheese or mayo.

I worked at subway for a while and would make myself veggie subs and after a while stopped putting on cheese and mayo/sauce and it really didn't taste that different since i put so little of each on there.
  • hbarney
    hbarney Posts: 434
    Options
    Cabot reduced fat chedder cheese. They make a 50% and a 75% reduced fat and depending on what I am using it for will depend on which one I use.
  • bens_mommy
    Options
    I say laughing cow too. There is just no substitute for cheese lol. But you can make better cheese choices.

Oh gosh I agree, no substitute for cheese! I would say don't cut it out altogether, but make it a treat! You can always exercise more too if it makes you feel better!
  • bens_mommy
    Options
    Whoops, double post. :blushing:
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,713 Member
    Options
    Eggs, glorious eggs! I scramble one full egg plus three more whites, add in 1/2 ounce of 2% sharp cheddar, and put it on 1 1/2 whole-wheat sandwich thins (three halves) for lunch nearly every day.
  • CurlyClare78
    Options
    I've been getting really strong mature cheddar - that way I feel like I'm getting more cheesyness for the amount.
    You could maybe buy it in slices which is more measured and fill it up with salady type things.
  • Bosbes
    Bosbes Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm living in Germany, I have never seen Laughing Cow cheese here. But I'll be on the lookout.
    @ GuruMeditation: I would really like to cut it out as much as possible. That's why I need alternatives :-)
    @ littlesis412: Thanks for the tip. I haven't even heared of humus yet...

I think they mean 'La vache qui rit' cheese... You do have that in Germany
  • Bosbes
    Bosbes Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Other things I like to put on my bread:
    -pflaumenmus
    -marmelade
    -honig
    -erdnussbutter (although there is also a lot of fat in it, it is healthy)
    -zwergenwiese spread
    -tartex
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Gasp! Cutting cheese out?! I've tried and can cut WAY back, but can't get rid of it completely. Good for you for trying.
  • RuthAne
    RuthAne Posts: 130
    Options
    Farmer's cheese