Strength Training for Women

Options
Hey guys,

I've read a lot about how important it is to start a strength or weight training routine in order to build muscle and ultimately burn fat. I am a complete beginner when it comes to weights, so any help would be appreciated. I'd like to try to work weights into my normal routine, but I also don't want to "bulk up." Anyone have any good strength/weight routines for women? Thanks!

Replies

• elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the New Rules of Lifting for Women program since August and really love it! Highly recommend.

eta: you will not bulk up while weight lifting - even heavy weights. Women don't have the testosterone necessary for adding bulky muscle and unless you start taking steroids, you have nothing to worry about.
  • alysonleanne
    Options
    I've been strength training for 8 months and have not bulked up at all, and I even use protein shakes/supplements. It's a common female misconception. You burn more calories when you put on muscle. I would say start with Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred...it helped me tone up a lot. You'll just need some hand weights.
  • waltzingfree
    waltzingfree Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I found this routine really easy to follow, especially before I joined a gym.
    http://health.yahoo.net/experts/healthieryou/slim-down-summer-just-5-weeks
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I started with jillian michaels workouts(shred it w weights, no more trouble zones) which use dumbells and weights. Now doing p90x which has great moves to work all aspects of muscles. And u can do the lean version so you don't bulk up
  • slbeutler
    Options
    First of all, good job for adding strength into your routine. Second, you will not bulk up from doing strength training. Women who look like men probably take some type of enhancement to chemically change their bodies to get that look. There are some good routines that you can print from bodybuilding.com. You put in your goal and it will give you a bunch of free options to choose from. The book New Rules for Lifting for Women is very good as well and you can preview the first few chapters on amazon.com for free. It will probably answer a lot of your questions.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I like Butt Bible with Pauline Nordin. It's upper AND lower body--3 levels.
  • fitrunnermd
    Options
    I've been doing the New Rules of Lifting for Women program since August and really love it! Highly recommend.

eta: you will not bulk up while weight lifting - even heavy weights. Women don't have the testosterone necessary for adding bulky muscle and unless you start taking steroids, you have nothing to worry about.

This^

the New Rules of Lifting for Women is an excellent guide. It shows you how to do the diferent exercises and even gives you meal plan ideas.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength or NROLFW.
    Don't worry about the bulking up part. It's just not going to happen.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I'm going with the concensus of NROLFW. I'm into my second week and loving it. I have done strength training since starting out exercising properly about a year ago, I haven't bulked up at all. I wouldn't worry about that, it would take some serious hours and dedication and steroids for a women to bulk
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I'm going with the concensus of NROLFW. I'm into my second week and loving it. I have done strength training since starting out exercising properly about a year ago, I haven't bulked up at all. I wouldn't worry about that, it would take some serious hours and dedication and steroids for a women to bulk

This ^^^^. I'm on my 5th week of NROLFW and love it!

http://www.amazon.ca/New-Rules-Lifting-Women/dp/1583333398
  • DisneySkaGirl
    Options
    bump
  • MarieMich
    Options
    You will not bulk up while weight training, only tone the muscles. It is important that when you train using weights, to always keep your back aligned, and not to lift pass your comfort zone (weight to heavy = bad posture = injuries / won't do anything). Also you need to warm up 10 minutes before (I suggest cardio) and do a couple light sets of weights. Don't forget to mix it up every time. (example one week start with leg curls, the other start with leg extensions)

After your done, it's important to have a protein shake made with water and a little bit of 1 % milk, within 30 minutes of working out. Also, weight training burns calories even after you are done, up to 24 hours after, so it's also important to eat when you feel hungry ( plain yoghurt, almonds, veggies and hummus, etc..) and to eat 5-6 meals a day.

Hopefully I have helped you, and other people. I suggest if you work out in a gym, get a personal trainer for 1-2 sessions just to show you how the machines work, so you can prevent injury and also get a little boost of confidence.
  • SKHaz1
    SKHaz1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Strength training is very important! After you lift weights, your body still burns calories after to repair the muscle. As a woman, you are not going to bulk up. Our muscles just aren't made that way. Now, if you were a body builder you'd have to worry about that but since you aren't strength training hours a day (atleast i'm assuming) You will be fine!

I rotate between strengthening my arms and back, core, and lower extremities. Some of my favorites:
    Tricep kickbacks
    Anterior arm raises
    Lateral raises
    Miltitary press
    Lat pulldowns

Abduction adduction machine
    Lunges
    step ups
    Quad and Hamstring machine
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    just adding, I have done P90x many times , over 5 years, both classic and doubles - never do lean- I am not at all bulky.. :) I lift heavy.

If you see bilk - you are seeing the fat on top of the muscle. Cut down your body fat, and then the bulk goes away, showing lean cut muscle.

I also add in lots of protein in my diet, along with Creatine, and BCAAS.

So you do not need to stick to Lean to be "unbulky".

New Rules For Lifting is great also.
  • redheadc2
    redheadc2 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I stared at my local rec center 2 years ago with this same issue. We have a call called Real Women on Weights. Its 8-10 people twice a week. What I learned is that you don't add bulk but you do add power. I can now bench press 65 lbs and I started around 3lbs.

Look for something at your Gym your biggest mistake will be starting with to much weight. Also, look for a female instructor some how they just know your body better and how to adjust to get around the girls when doing Chest exercises.
  • kobzal
    kobzal Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I was doing P90X, but I started having trouble fitting in such a long workout. So I switched to stronglifts 5x5, which I do with free weights at the gym. It only takes me 35-50 minutes per routine. In just the month I have been doing it, I went from being able to do zero "real" pushups to doing three! That is a big accomplishment for me!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I did charlean extreme a few times and I have moved to the new rules with some charlean additions to make my own workout. I have gotten smaller and more toned. I love lifting weights.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    It's not easy for a man or woman to bulk up, but both can bulk up and without assistance. Every woman's body is different. There's a difference between aiming to become a bodybuilder and just aiming for lean muscle. Some women get muscular faster than other women.

I prefer cardio and cardio/strength over just strength training. For regular strength training, I like working out to men workouts. Here are few that I have. Women are in the videos as well.

Workouts can be found on Amazon.

1. The Abs Diets: Instructor: Tom Holland. Tom is a good personal trainer. He does a good job with Supreme 90 Day.

2. The Abs Diet 2: Instructor: Terry Simpson. I love Terry. He's an instructor that's not afraid to let it be known that he feels the burn. He likes it though. You will need a stability ball and weights.

3. Men's Health: 15 Minute Workout: Instructor: Terry Simpson. You will need a stability ball and weights.

4. Men's Health: The Belly Off! Workout - The Strength Training Routine: Instructor: David Jack

5. Men's Health: The Belly Off! Workout - The Body Weight Routine: Instructor: David Jack
  • shaw409
    Options
    I think NROLFW is a good place to start. I have been lifting heavy for 2 years now and I dont look like I weight train until you step into the gym with me. (Take a look at my profile.) You will not bulk if you lift heavy or drink protein. If you do I am going to be so jealous and you are a genetic freak. lol (PS I bench my bodyweight and have freaky strong legs. I just did 770lb leg presses last week.)