New Member / Somersizing & exercising my way to weight loss

TaylorR
TaylorR Posts: 10
edited September 19 in Introduce Yourself
Hi all,

I'm Tess and I just joined My Fitness Pal! Here's my story:

I live in South Carolina with my husband and our 18 yr-old son. I work as a writer and content manager so I spend a good deal of time sitting at my computer all day, then the rest of the time am not very active. I grew up being a very active person, but always struggled with my weight. Twice in my life, I was able to drop a lot of weight through a careful restricted diet and a lot of exercise. When I was 16 and then again when I was 30. I lost 50 lbs the first time, and 90 lbs the second time, but it slowly came back again over time and bad eating habits.

I now weight 324 lbs and am 5' 7" tall, which is my heaviest ever. I wear a ladies size 26 / 3x and my health is suffering as a result of the weight. I live in constant pain. I have poor self esteem and am really sick of the stares that I get from other people when I am out in public. My husband is also morbidly obese and he eats horribly. He is always tired, always wants to eat out at fast food/chinese. We have virtually no romantic life now, although we did in the beginning. I am worried that one or both of us will develop a serious health problem or worse yet, die by the time we are 40. It's very depressing and not very encouraging to want to try to lose the weight or even get up to do anything about it.

I joined because I want to do something to better my life, lose the weight and start feeling better again. I don't want to resort to surgery, although that has been something I have seriously considered. I want to give it one more try to lose the weight on my own without surgery this year.

Because it worked for me in the past, starting today, I am going to be using a food journal and starting a 3 times a week 30 minute exercise program. I have a tony little glider that is low impact and will be working out on that as well as going to the gym that we have a membership to. My husband has promised me he is going to join me in about 2 weeks. I am going to start cooking low carb / high protein & veggie meals. I learned to cook better and was able to lose weight using the "Somersize" diet plan back in 2001, so I am going to go back to that again since it worked for me and it's easy to remember.

So if you are the beginning of your weight loss journey, please know that I am also right there with you! Always open to meeting new people and forming supporting, encouraging relationships so that we can all meet our fitness/weight loss goals together.

Tess :smile:

Replies

• TaylorR
    Hi all,

I'm Tess and I just joined My Fitness Pal! Here's my story:

I live in South Carolina with my husband and our 18 yr-old son. I work as a writer and content manager so I spend a good deal of time sitting at my computer all day, then the rest of the time am not very active. I grew up being a very active person, but always struggled with my weight. Twice in my life, I was able to drop a lot of weight through a careful restricted diet and a lot of exercise. When I was 16 and then again when I was 30. I lost 50 lbs the first time, and 90 lbs the second time, but it slowly came back again over time and bad eating habits.

I now weight 324 lbs and am 5' 7" tall, which is my heaviest ever. I wear a ladies size 26 / 3x and my health is suffering as a result of the weight. I live in constant pain. I have poor self esteem and am really sick of the stares that I get from other people when I am out in public. My husband is also morbidly obese and he eats horribly. He is always tired, always wants to eat out at fast food/chinese. We have virtually no romantic life now, although we did in the beginning. I am worried that one or both of us will develop a serious health problem or worse yet, die by the time we are 40. It's very depressing and not very encouraging to want to try to lose the weight or even get up to do anything about it.

I joined because I want to do something to better my life, lose the weight and start feeling better again. I don't want to resort to surgery, although that has been something I have seriously considered. I want to give it one more try to lose the weight on my own without surgery this year.

Because it worked for me in the past, starting today, I am going to be using a food journal and starting a 3 times a week 30 minute exercise program. I have a tony little glider that is low impact and will be working out on that as well as going to the gym that we have a membership to. My husband has promised me he is going to join me in about 2 weeks. I am going to start cooking low carb / high protein & veggie meals. I learned to cook better and was able to lose weight using the "Somersize" diet plan back in 2001, so I am going to go back to that again since it worked for me and it's easy to remember.

So if you are the beginning of your weight loss journey, please know that I am also right there with you! Always open to meeting new people and forming supporting, encouraging relationships so that we can all meet our fitness/weight loss goals together.

Tess :smile:
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Sounds like you're making some hard, but good choices! Get your husband here so he can be supported as well :smile: Good luck, and let this be the last time you need to do this!
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Hi Tess, welcome! I hope you make yourself at home. It's a great place to get motivated and inspired.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Welcome! :flowerforyou: from a fellow Carolina girl!
  • NykkieC
    NykkieC Posts: 622 Member
    Welcome! I hope you enjoy this site as much as I do. Good luck on your journey - you can do it!!!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Hello and welcome to MFP, the best website ever. You will love it here. I :heart: this site. It is so motivational, supportive, helpful, and everyone is so nice and friendly here. I just wanted to tell you good luck on your weight loss journey. You can do this.:smile::flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile:
  • NurseMisty
    NurseMisty Posts: 312 Member
    Welcome! I'm new too, so I don't know if I'm qualified to welcome people yet:happy: I use the food journal on this website. I've tried a couple other websites, but they run slow. This one is the quickest and easiest to work. It's a real eye opener to see all the numbers in front of me. I wish you the best on your journey!
  • TaylorR
    Wow - thank you all for that very warm welcome! Now I know I've come to the right place to find friends, encouragement and advice.

So how are each of you doing today? Starting off the week on a good foot?

I am using the food journal which is really helping me think about what I am putting in my face- LOL.
    Also plan to get a 15 min walk in somewhere in my busy day today - probably on my lunchbreak if it doesnt rain. Need to break in a new pair of sneakers!

Sending big hugs to all of you today!

:flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou:

~ Tess ~
This discussion has been closed.