Cookie Dough

Options
Is it true you can get tapeworms from eating it raw? >.>; I've looked around online and it seems there are a lot of conflicting answers... I ate some a few weeks ago. I do not want worms inside me! DX

Replies

• poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    That means the dough would have to have tapeworm eggs in it for you to get it. I think the issue w/ raw cookie dough is that you can get sick from the raw egg, but even that's up for debate as people on here seem to eat eggs raw all the time without issue.

For what it's worth, I've eaten raw cookie dough here or there since a kid...never got sick off of it.
  • EMc4452
    EMc4452 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I heard they help with weightloss
  • lisaloo85
    Options
    There is absolutely no way you can get tapeworms from cookie dough!
  • Snakey74
    Snakey74 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I have eaten more raw cookie dough than I care to admit, and I'm still overweight.

You'd think those pesky tapeworms would have done something about that. :angry:

(P.S. I really don't think so.)
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I have eaten more raw cookie dough than I care to admit, and I'm still overweight.

You'd think those pesky tapeworms would have done something about that. :angry:

(P.S. I really don't think so.)

:flowerforyou:
  • shawnscott5
    shawnscott5 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    People use to swallow tape worms as a way to lose weight, and then have them removed later. How gross is that?
  • Emily3346
    Options
    Pre-new change in lifestyle I ate raw cookie dough on a regular basis. And I mean, often. I've never been sick from it. Gained weight from it, sure. But never sick.
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    You would only get tapeworms if the cookie dough was somehow contaminated with tapeworm eggs or larvae... ehich is possible, but quite unlikely. A greater risk is salmonella from the raw eggs-- but again, that is only if the eggs are contaminated.

I have eaten small amounts of raw cookie dough and cake batter every time I bake, and I've never gotten sick from it.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Tapeworms live in meat, not eggs. Salmonella is what you can get from raw cookie dough but I'll tell ya, I used to eat that stuff all the time and I did get sick once. I did get fat though! LOL
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Tapeworms live in meat, not eggs. Salmonella is what you can get from raw cookie dough but I'll tell ya, I used to eat that stuff all the time and I did get sick once. I did get fat though! LOL

See, that is what I always thought, that they lived in meat... I don't understand how they could get inside an egg shell. o.o But I know they can travel throughout the body in larval form and hook into muscle tissue.
  • melanie_J
    melanie_J Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    There are no tape-worms in cookie dough. However there was an outbreak not long ago of Salmonella in the cookie dough. Which oddly enough never prevented me from eating! (It's my go to emotional food)
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I've heard raw cookie dough causes cancer.

The internet told me so.

:(
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely no way you can get tapeworms from cookie dough!

Unless someone or something has contaminated the cookie dough through poor hygiene, this is true. Unless you make your cookie dough with raw fish, pork or beef that is, and even then in the US and UK it would be unlikely.
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Geez, I hope not - made a batch of cookies last night only to find out that I was out of gas. Needless to say I ate even more raw dough than normal!
  • mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    There are no tape-worms in cookie dough. However there was an outbreak not long ago of Salmonella in the cookie dough. Which oddly enough never prevented me from eating! (It's my go to emotional food)

Wow... That is a family favorite I see. It's my go to when I am upset.