What are your thoughts on the cabbage soup diet?

Options
Was thinking about doing this for a week, not just for weight loss but I really need a good cleanse too. It's only for 7 days. I'm using this as a "detox" and as a weight loss solution for added boost.

Replies

• lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    ..........and wait for it ............:explode:
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in "cleanses". Your body is a self-cleaning mechanism. Although you may lose weight, it is not sustainable and you will likely gain it all back once you start eating real food. Limiting yourself to one food for that long cannot be good for you- you will be depriving yourself of necessary nutrients. It will also likely slow your metabolism since it will adjust to having to digest so little food. Ultimately it's up to you, but I doubt it will benefit you in the long term at all.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    It's gassy.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Fad. gimmick. whatever you want to call it.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Fad. gimmick. whatever you want to call it.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are, roughly, "wow, people would actually consider that?"
  • ninkdole
    ninkdole Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    As long as you're not planning on being around others during that week.:noway:
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Doesn't work as well as the spinach soup diet, but it is better than the collard green soup diet. :wink:
  • rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I think it would be smarter to cleanse with whole foods...lots of fresh fruit and veggies as your majority diet, sprinkled with whole grains and lean meats like chicken and fish. If you cut out the processed items it will be just as beneficial and this way you'll still get all of your vitamins and nutrients and not feel so deprived
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    It's gassy.

lol this is what I was going to say. You will be SO gassy and it will be very stinky! Also I can't stand cabbage soup so I couldn't imagine eating it for 7 days XP
  • celine12345
    celine12345 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I tried it personaly won't consider doing again, you do loose weight of course but after the week finish what you lost you will gain twice. But if you want to clean your body drink black tea with 2 tea spoons of pure honey in the evening.:happy:
  • ndwyer0910
    ndwyer0910 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I will be honest. I tried it with my mother. All it really did was make me go pee a lot. If anything I felt very weak while doing it and although I did loose weight I think it was only water. It wasn't worth it. I didn't even make the whole 7 days.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand how this is a good cleanse.
    I have a friend who does another type of cleanse that she swears by but at least it is all whole, nutritious foods with added supplements, not just one type of food.

I am in the "the body cleanses itself" crowd. Eat whole, natural food, drink water, and be cleansed.
  • TNoire
    TNoire Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    helps to lose weight but you put it right back on when you go back to eating normal... you need protein
    it was a fad diet back in the day for a reason....
  • TNoire
    TNoire Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    It's gassy.

That and your gonna need some Kaopectate its gonna pass right though ya giving ur body no nutritional value what so ever, your SO might kick ya to the couch
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I've made the soup, its delicious and better if blended but doing the all banana day and like 6 cups of this stuff a day would be sickening.

Try the 3-day shakeology cleanse. I've done it 2x now (2x in about 3 years) just with a regular protein powder and it’s a great kick start as you'll lose about 6lbs in 3 days.
  • barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    one more thing to think about besides what others have said - I notice you're holding a darling baby in your profile pic. Are you nursing? If so, that soup will also give the baby bad gas, and the only thing they know to do is cry and make you miserable cuz they're miserable with a tummy ache!
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    I've made the soup, its delicious and better if blended but doing the all banana day and like 6 cups of this stuff a day would be sickening.

Try the 3-day shakeology cleanse. I've done it 2x now (2x in about 3 years) just with a regular protein powder and it’s a great kick start as you'll lose about 6lbs in 3 days.

6 pounds of what in three days? I'm guessing 1-2 lbs of waste, 1-2 pounds of water weight and maybe a pound of actual fat.

You think the response to a cabbage cleanse / diet can get heated, just wait for the shakeology comments. I'm gonna stand back and watch....from a distance.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

6 pounds of what in three days? I'm guessing 1-2 lbs of waste, 1-2 pounds of water weight and maybe a pound of actual fat.

You think the response to a cabbage cleanse / diet can get heated, just wait for the shakeology comments. I'm gonna stand back and watch....from a distance.

Exactly. 6 lbs of what?
  • skpresley20
    skpresley20 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    one more thing to think about besides what others have said - I notice you're holding a darling baby in your profile pic. Are you nursing? If so, that soup will also give the baby bad gas, and the only thing they know to do is cry and make you miserable cuz they're miserable with a tummy ache!

Yes, that's my baby girl Marah, she'll be 7 months tomorrow!

I was an avid breastfeeder....then my supply started drying up. I made the decision to give it up today after weeks of back and forth with the fenugreek....milk thistle....tons of water....it just wasn't helping because I could never be consistent with the pills....and the fact you're supposed to take 3 fenugreek pills and milk thistle 3 times a day....
    And then she got nipple confusion...

So to answer your question; No, I'm not breastfeeding anymore. =(

Was thinking to make the soup to subsitute for lunch, and a side for breakfast. I have a serious problem with irregularity. I mean bad....I even had to go to the hospital once. No amount of veggies is helping so I've been resorting to a laxative a week, to ever two weeks and I just cant do that anymore. I don't care about being gassy or anything, I just want my body to get regular, and I think this'll help.