Unwanted belly

Options
I have been running and working out for the past few months. I can start to see a change in the top of my stomache, however from the belly button and below seems like its never going to go away. Any suggestions or tips on how to loose that? Thanks so much.

Replies

• Legalchica
    Options
    you cant. there is no such thing as spot loss. continue your overall weight loss and it will go.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    keep on keepin on. it might come off last, but it will come off.
  • janna674
    janna674 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels says keep your sodium down below 2500 and drink lots of water and cardio cardio cardio....I started tracking my sodium and it seems like my belly fat is going slowly away
  • ketrell
    ketrell Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Pochart
    Options
    why can't we just "deflate" hahha
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    keep on keepin on. it might come off last, but it will come off.

^^This
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    you cant. there is no such thing as spot loss. continue your overall weight loss and it will go.

This! I'm losing tons of inches in my waist. My butt - it's still wide. HAH!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels says keep your sodium down below 2500 and drink lots of water and cardio cardio cardio....I started tracking my sodium and it seems like my belly fat is going slowly away
    There's no correlation of sodium to belly fat burning. None. Lose weight, the belly fat eventually goes.
  • MsCNicholleD
    Options
    A lot of people who have had children can mistake excess or loose skin as belly fat. I'm not saying that is the case with you, but it happens. Try isolating the lower abdominal area when working out either by using machines or specific lower abdomen crunches to try to tighten the muscle. Sometimes after having children, the lower abdominal muscle separates more than normal. Working to bring the muscle back together can aid in tightening the skin. If you're seeing results from your workout routine in all other areas except this one, that could indicate that your problem may not be related to excess fat. Increase your abdominal routine to try to tone the muscles as much as possible and continue with running. One exercise that is good for strengthening that area is hanging leg lifts. You can do those using the dip station at your gym or try reverse and bicycle crunches if you aren't comfortable doing lifts. Good luck!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    There's no correlation of sodium to belly fat burning. None. Lose weight, the belly fat eventually goes.
    JM is referring to the bloating that excess sodium causes in the belly area. Keeping sodium in check and drinking 8-10 glasses of water a day will help minimize the bloated look. But for fat burning, cardio. Also, it wouldn't hurt to include ab exercises so that when the fat is gone you will have a nicely defined midsection to admire :smile:
  • luvtrails
    luvtrails Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    When I stopped drinking sodas, even diet ones, my stomach reduced quite a bit. Water retention, I'm sure, but my clothes certainly fit better!
  • MsCNicholleD
    Options

I don't think that's what she means by tracking sodium intake. Sodium or salt (NaCl) can contribute to water retention, bloating, etc. that tends to accumulate in the midsection in women. Lessening your sodium intake while drinking your daily recommended allowance of water can help to combat this and flush out excess water due to the fact that water tends to diffuse into places with a higher concentration of solutes. Less salt (solute) = less water= reduction in water weight accumulation in the midsection.
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    As someone else said, it will probably be the last to go away. It sucks but for some reason that's just the way it is. (Especially for women) The only thing to do is just keep doing what your doing and drink plenty of water!
  • killagb
    Options

I don't think that's what she means by tracking sodium intake. Sodium or salt (NaCl) can contribute to water retention, bloating, etc. that tends to accumulate in the midsection in women. Lessening your sodium intake while drinking your daily recommended allowance of water can help to combat this and flush out excess water due to the fact that water tends to diffuse into places with a higher concentration of solutes. Less salt (solute) = less water= reduction in water weight accumulation in the midsection.
    I fully understand sodium = water retention possibilities. She said she tracked her sodium and it seems like her belly FAT is going slowly away. That's a false statement. :drinker:
  • killagb
    Options
    JM is referring to the bloating that excess sodium causes in the belly area. Keeping sodium in check and drinking 8-10 glasses of water a day will help minimize the bloated look. But for fat burning, cardio. Also, it wouldn't hurt to include ab exercises so that when the fat is gone you will have a nicely defined midsection to admire :smile:
    I understand that. The poster mentioned sodium and perceived reduction in belly FAT. That's clearly a mistaken thought.
  • MsCNicholleD
    Options

I fully understand sodium = water retention possibilities. She said she tracked her sodium and it seems like her belly FAT is going slowly away. That's a false statement. :drinker:

Just re-read. You're right, she did say that. My bad. You're absolutely right.
  • Cindyleeski
    Cindyleeski Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It's unfortunate, but the spots you want to lose the most seem to be the last ones to go. Keep going and they will go away. Promise! :happy:
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I have been running and working out for the past few months. I can start to see a change in the top of my stomache, however from the belly button and below seems like its never going to go away. Any suggestions or tips on how to loose that? Thanks so much.

Abs starts in the kitchen. A body starts in the kitchen. A person can't spot reduce, but they can spot tone. Beside doing total body workouts, do you do separate body workouts? Billy Blanks has some wonderful Tae Bo workouts that can help tone your abs.

Example:

Tae Insane Abs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-h-ictkljo
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

Abs starts in the kitchen. A body starts in the kitchen. A person can't spot reduce, but they can spot tone. Beside doing total body workouts, do you do separate body workouts? Billy Blanks has some wonderful Tae Bo workouts that can help tone your abs.

Example:

Tae Insane Abs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-h-ictkljo

Lawl

this seriously makes no sense
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    belly is first to gain and last to lose
    i would know, i'm gaining weight and belly is the first to get fat on top of :)