My New Addiction...

Options
Baked fruit!
IN THE MICROWAVE!

Haha...It's getting to that time of year where things like warm apple crumble and pear pie are just so very tempting and alluring, with the cold outside and that tantalizing, sweet, cinnamon sugar warmth coming from the oven...but alas, with the sugar and the crust and the butter, those kinds of desserts are just not in my future this year.

Then I discovered baking fruit, and sprinkling it with cinnamon.

Then I discovered I can do it in the microwave in five minutes.

I'm so sunk. XD

Baked Apple (Microwave Style!)
Core an apple; don't go all the way through.
Put apple hole-side-up in a microwave safe dish.
Put in microwave for five minutes.
Let cool (a little).
Sprinkle with cinnamon.
Devour.
Special-Treat-Variation: put a little butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon in the hollow center of the apple before putting it in the microwave.

Poached Pear (Microwave Style!)
Peel and core a pear (not all the way through)
Cut a little off the bottom so it stands upright in a dish.
Cover about the bottom centimetre of the dish with water.
Add a little sugar (about a teaspoon; less is okay, more will be too sweet; you can also forego the sugar entirely, pears are sweet enough!
Cook in microwave for about five minutes (less for smaller pears)
Devour! (With cinnamon, if desired)

You can also fill the core with a mixture of flour, brown sugar and chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans are best); Sugar, water, and butter + chocolate chips makes an excellent chocolate sauce to spoon over the top for a special treat!

I'm writing this as I wait for my third baked fruit of the day to be finished cooking. They're delicious and nutritious, and give you all the delights of fall fruit dessert flavour without any of the additional fats or calories. :)

Replies

• chiera88
    chiera88 Posts: 155
    Options
    GENIOUS!!! i'm going to try both! thanks
  • SallieBeige
    SallieBeige Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    Thanks for this ... now I know what to have for dessert when the rest of the house are eating chocolate mousse or ice-cream!
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing! Last night I microwaved a banana with peanut butter... it was incredible!! :D
  • ltaylore
    ltaylore Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yum. I'm going to try this as well!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Will definitely try this
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Yum! Thanks for the idea!
  • cj2lose
    cj2lose Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    sounds good!
  • Dolphinprncess04
    Options
    Sounds Delish, can't wait to try it!
  • amycarol59
    amycarol59 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I do both of these too in the micro but I add a laughing cow light swiss cheese wedge and mix its like having an apple or pear cheesecake it is soooooo good. Thanks for sharing!
  • SuddenlyPickles
    Options
    Oh nummy. Thanks for this! :)
  • tseecka
    tseecka Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Oh, and--if you're looking for a little more flavour, or you're like me and you're a tea addict: Steep a nice green tea (I like to use Dragonwell, or Genmaicha for a little bit of a nutty flavour) for about half an hour, using twice as much tea as you would normally for that amount of water, then use that to poach the pears! Pear and green tea is a heavenly combo, it adds a neat bit of flavour to the pears, it's 0 additional calories,ad pear+green tea+chocolate is kind of the best thing on earth. Mmmmm!
  • candicejn
    candicejn Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I have to try this with an apple tonight!!!!

• Kslice39
    Kslice39 Posts: 146
    Options
    mmMmmm!!!! i do this ALL the time when im having a sweet tooth craving! i take an apple and slice it up and mix stevia and cinnamon together and lightly sprinkle the apples and put them in the oven for a few minutes and BAM! greatness! lol tastes just like im eating an apple pie because is soft and the skin is a little crispy! AMAZINGNESS!!!!! ;)
  • frycase
    Options
    ...things like warm apple crumble and pear pie are just so very tempting and alluring, with the cold outside and that tantalizing, sweet, cinnamon sugar warmth coming from the oven...

....I'm sorry, what were we talking about? I think I zoned out for a minute there.... :D

(These sound so totally awesome that I'm considering hitting up the grocery store on my way home. Thanks for sharing!)
  • kbcara
    kbcara Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Normal apple or cooking apple?
    How long in microwave?
    How many calories?
    Nom nom nom xxxx
  • gersoco
    gersoco Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Oh wow!!! The poached pear sounds yummy!
    Oh and you'll never guess what my dessert will be tomorrow....
    Hint: It involves a pear and a microware, among other ingredients but that's ALL I'm saying!!!
  • candicejn
    candicejn Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I am eating a "baked" apple right now. It's fantastic! Thanks for the idea!
  • tseecka
    tseecka Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Normal apple or cooking apple?
    How long in microwave?
    How many calories?
    Nom nom nom xxxx

Normal apples are fine. I find I prefer the crisper apples because they don't get quite as mushy--doing it with, say, a McIntosh results in more like applesauce than a baked apple, haha!

5 minutes in the microwave for apples, and i'm finding about 2 minutes is ideal for pears

Calories--depends on your apple. There's no additional calories if you don't add anything, so just look up whatever kind/size of apple you used and there you'll have it.