Me? An inspiration? Really? Gee! Thanks!

Options
WOWEE YOU ARE INSPIRING!~ A friend wrote that to me today. It was one of those moments when you look behind you to see who they are talking too or in this case read to see if they are actually commenting on your post.

So here I am 343 lbs, having lost 34 lbs and knowing I still have at least 160 lbs to lose and maybe more. I am not feeling very inspiring and yet this wonderful person says I am.

I have been obese for most of my adult life. I have tried and failed so many diets it is not funny. I have played a lot of mind games convincing myself that I was not really that out of shape, I could still do most of what I wanted to do. Besides, it's my body, right. Why does anyone else care how big I am or what I look like. As long as I am happy that is all that matters, right?

I have always been interested in health and fitness both as a nurse and also as one who craves knowledge. However, I never found the quest for health and fitness outweighed the pleasure I contrived from mindless eating and the lull of inactivity. I had convinced myself that I was happy and though I would like a "smoking hot body" it was not worth the effort.

Okay, there are a few problems in this thought process.

1. At over 300 lbs for way too many years, no way was I "not really that out of shape".

2.Perhaps I could do most of what I wanted to do, the problem was I had settled for not wanting much. When you are moving this much weight around, you quit wanting a lot of things if they take any physical exertion.

3.It is my body, true, but other people do care. They care about looking at or making amends for your size. Those who love you and even some who barely know you, also care about your health. If you are obese, you are NOT healthy.

4.What is happy? Setting on the couch in a semi-coma reached by mind numbing eating and little or no activity, is not happy.
Although a "smoking hot body" may not be my goal, watching life go by is also not desirable.

So about a year ago, I began reading more about natural health. In the last 3 months I have begun to devour information on health and fitness. I have found that by munching on this information, my desire for decadent dishes is decreasing.

Yep, you got it. The more I learn about how my body works, what fat and chemicals does to my system the less interested I am in my former "Fat and Happy" lifestyle.

After 50 years of living and 30 years of nursing, I am finally getting it. I want to be healthy and fit. Not because I want to look hot for some guy or make my ex jealous or any type of vanity at all. No, I want my body to be the best it can be. I don't want to sit in a rocking chair and watch life from my porch, I want to LIVE!

So I am educating myself, I am making better choices and I am pushing my body to do things I never thought I could do. I cannot undo at least 30 years of self abuse in 2 months but I can certainly make a difference. There is no guarantee that I will not end up setting in that rocking chair but I am going to go down fighting. I walked my first 5K Saturday and I plan for it to be the first of many. I plan to have people asking me at 80 years old how I have stayed so healthy and fit. I have lived the last 30 years as a fat and frumpy woman, my next 30 years are going to be vibrant and exciting and above all healthy and ACTIVE!

So, if that makes me inspiring, GREAT! Label me Inspired! That is a label I can LIVE with!

Replies

• KMSForLife
    Options
    It sounds like you are certainly on the right track. Congratulations on your accomplishment so far and good luck to you on the rest of your journey!
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    You are definitely an inspiration! I'm so glad to hear you are building a better and healthier you! Keep up the awesome work!
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Good on you!
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options
    Good for you! that IS inspiring!
  • angelbeville
    Options
    I did my first 5K too! And I totally understand where you are coming from! YES! You ARE inspiring! Keep it up!!!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I think you need to re-read what you just wrote, if you don't think it's inspiring. That is like the definition of inspiring.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,019 Member
    Options
    This is what this site sould be all about. Instead of complaining, you have beautifully described how to change your thinking. That is the key to your future.

There is a lot to change, but it is so worth it! Please keep posting about your thoughts. You chould start a blog here, and use this as on of your posts.

You are inspiring!!
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Sounds pretty inspiring to me! Maybe you can just rest in the rocking chair between your 5ks :wink:
  • astul
    astul Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Wow you are an inspirational and so are alot more people who have decided to change the way we look at things! My thinking is I eat to fuel my food, not eat for eating sake and the weight is melting away! I feel so much vibrant and want to do so much more like travel the world again! So, next June, I've book a plane ticket to go visit my oldest best mate who lives in Malaysia - and I want to be a good 56lb lighter - setting little goals along the way will get me to the end result! It's all a mind set.
  • Nogo
    Nogo Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    This was a great read. Thank you!

And congratulations!!!!
  • darlalu00
    darlalu00 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    You are an inspiration...Congratulations on your decision to become healthy & fit and completing your first 5K!!! Good luck to you on your journey!
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I had to laugh! I just got a friend request from a gal whose friend is a friend of mine who told her, that I WAS AN INSPIRATION to her! I had the same, "Who, me?" feeling! LOL!

But reading your post I wholeheartedly agree! YOU ARE an inspiration! You are doing the work. you keep putting one foot ahead of the other and you did your FIRST 5k! I am sure there are many more lined up for you to do next! One meal at a time, one day at a time, one pound at a time you will meet your goals! And that is what is so inspiring about you! Keep up the good work! = D
  • mandyjohns
    Options
    WOW!!! That is so amazing!!! I am happy for you!!! And you truly are inspiring! Just curious... have you been reading the book "Eat to Live"? You sound like you're grasping what this book has to say which is absolutely fantastic. I'm trying... but it's a slow process for me!
    I am going to do my first 5K on Thanksgiving day. I'm really excited about it! and I'm nervous about it. Reading your post has helped though!
    Thanks!
    ~Mandy
  • crazylizz
    crazylizz Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    WOW!!! That is so amazing!!! I am happy for you!!! And you truly are inspiring! Just curious... have you been reading the book "Eat to Live"? You sound like you're grasping what this book has to say which is absolutely fantastic. I'm trying... but it's a slow process for me!
    I am going to do my first 5K on Thanksgiving day. I'm really excited about it! and I'm nervous about it. Reading your post has helped though!
    Thanks!
    ~Mandy

No Mandy, I haven't but I think I will look it up. Sounds good. Good luck on your first 5K and take it from me, it is not worth getting nervous over. Just enjoy the process and realize you will do more than you have done in the past and that in itself is a victory worth celebrating.