Coping with STRESS

Options
Hey y'all this isn't so much weightloss support as general health support - how do you guys cope with stress?

I am suffering majorly at work at the moment and it's starting to have a real effect on my health. I haven't had my period in months, I'm having bouts of insomnia, grinding my teeth in my sleep, and developing stomach cramps - all of which my dr. is attributing to my stress levels.

Unfortunately I can't do anything about my job atm and I can't see it getting much easier any time soon. I have some medication but it is making me so drowsy I don't really want to take it! So I want to hear from all you very busy but well adjusted people how do you do it?!

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    ? When you find the answer let us know. :grumble:
  • healthy4self
    Options
    Treat yourself to a massage, maybe even a couple. And take time to stretch and "be in your body". I have trouble slowing my mind down and these things really help me.
  • Rain_Howard
    Options
    Meditation, yoga and tai chi
    earphones and classical music
    blowing **** up

Anger and stress are very close to each other, the same methods they teach in an anger management class also do wonders for stress.
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Haha I like the idea of blowing things up! :D
  • 226Muriel
    226Muriel Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Stress is a killer and I react terribly when stressed by eating compulsively, loss of sleep and just not dealing properly with the issue at hand until recently.

I have joined a group that is really three phase::::physical, emotional and spriritual.
    I must say that as a control freak I just was not giving in to the teaching very easily. I need peace in my life and live by the serenity prayer....IT WORKS!

I am presently more at peace even with the pressures of life that literally choked me in the past.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Exercise is one of the best things to combat stress in my opinion. Also, meditation and guided imagery are fantastic. Try yoga! Don't consume caffeine if possible, it's a stimulant so it could increase stress and anxiety. Take an hour a day for yourself- take a walk, take a bubble bath, get a massage and don't think about work if possible.
    I hope everything gets better... best of luck! :D
  • bluemist248
    bluemist248 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I either turn my blackberry off, destroy stuff on violent video games, play very loud heavy metal, or the more girly side off me will opt for a face mask and a magazine. Usually I'm too busy for many of them things (deadlines!) so I find turning my blackberry off most effective, or only answering my phone when I have time and not each time it bleeps & rings (It's usually someone asking for a favour or some overtime and I don't want that extra crap on my To Do list).
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    God knows Id love to know a good way, All I know is to eat when I'm stressed but obviously that's not a winning solution. I hear ya though I have not been able to get more than maybe 3 hours of sleep for the past few months, been fighting off the same cold for a few weeks, I grind my teeth too and seem to always have a headache. Also been having way more heart problems and muscle aches.
    Ugh some days just being alive is hard enough much less having the will to say no to bad foods and work out a good sweat :l
  • NitaCB
    NitaCB Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    These are some of the things that have worked for me. Write yourself up a little list of things you can do for to help build back up some credits in your 'emotional tank'. They'll be different from person to person. If you're an extrovert it might be spending some time with people you love, or you might be like me and like escaping to do something on your own. It might be reading a book, watching a favourite show, listening to music, a relaxing class, a bubble bath, nice meal... Then once you've done that see if you can schedule in even just a little bit of one of those things every day, kind of like a treat. When things were really bad for me at school last year I often used to go and read a magazine at a cafe on my own with a coffee. It was just something nice I could do for myself. Basically you need to find a way of prioritising yourself amongst all of the demands that are going on. And of course it goes without saying that eating well and plenty of sleep will help you loads.
  • schaacker
    schaacker Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    When I was really stressed at work I found it helped to pack good stuff around the work day that made me happy and made me feel more in control of my day. I started working out in the mornings, packed snacks for the work day, went to a cafe or park at lunch and called my favorite people (sometimes just sharing your stress helps to lower it) and then my husband and I would go for a walk when I got home to kind of 'walk the day off'. After that I could focus on the things that are really important and enjoy myself.

Definitely start looking for another company or career change though too :) Life is short. And small steps towards changing your work situation will empower you.
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

You can't change the circumstances of your job, but you can change how you think about it. I.e. "It would be really, really bad if I missed this deadline - people would be angry with me and that would be terrible" vs. "I will do my best to meet this deadline, but if I don't make it, I don't make it and that's not the end of the world, even if my boss is annoyed". Or whatever you're thinking... Cognitive Behavioural Therapy would help you notice your stress-causing thoughts and replace them with healthier ones.

Also, depending on your workplace, you may be able to go to your boss/ the HR dept and say you're experiencing stress symptoms (with a Drs certificate) and you need your workload reduced. If you actually break down, you may be able to take your company to court - stress is a pretty serious issue for workplaces!

And of course, there's the usual self care stuff - healthy food, exercise, sleep (use sleeping pills if necessary) and rest, nurture yourself in whatever way works for you, talk to and get support from friends and family, cut down on any outside obligations that are adding to your burden.

Do take this very seriously as stress is VERY bad for your health.

Good luck on your journey!
  • ginabina13
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this thread! I'm dealing with a lot of stress also and I'm having a great deal of trouble coping. My sleep is also being interrupted despite the fact that I'm feeling so exhausted. Exercise has helped me some, but I'm still having trouble sleeping and I'm afraid depression is setting in. I've suffered from chronic depression since I was 12 years old. I've been handling it without medication for several years now, but lately I can't shake the hopelessness. This is supposed to be a very exciting time for me, planning a wedding and all, but work stress it getting to me big time!! If I could afford massages, I would totally treat myself....money stress is a current issue too.

I'm going to try yoga, but I think I'll need to find a class locally to really get in to it. It's hard to truly unwind and get into yoga with my crazy little dog barking and jumping on me.
  • PRprincess
    PRprincess Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Treat yourself to a massage, maybe even a couple. And take time to stretch and "be in your body". I have trouble slowing my mind down and these things really help me.

Yes stretching is one of my favorite exercises! It really allows you to be one with yourself and just have a good feeling afterwards. I work full time and I go to school, I find stretching really relaxing.
  • Teegie64
    Options
    BOXING!! Mess siht up
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Glad to know I am not alone! I try to get to yoga a couple of times a week, and will definitely cut down on the coffee (haha although I sometimes feel like I need it to get everything done!)
  • RedHeadChick
    RedHeadChick Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I would suggest exercise. It is a great stress reliever. However, what exactly is going on at work that is stressing you out? Deadlines, personal relationships?...

If it is a deadline issue I would suggest taking one day at a time. Remember you are one person and you can only get so much done. So be reasonable with yourself.

If your boss is riding you about a project, try figuring out a solution that will help get you to the deadline without driving yourself mad. Talk to your boss and propose it as a solution that will ultimately be good for the company.

Try your best not to take things personally. You are not responsible for everything or everyone.

If there are more people responsible for the project you are working on, remember it is a team effort and do only what you are responsible for and don't worry about everyone else and what they are doing.

When you get home at night, leave work at the door. I watched a show once where the family had made a mail box and placed it at the front door. The Dad would write down all the troubles of the day and how he felt about them. Then he would drop it in the box. Once he was through the door that problem was over for the day, so he was now able to focus on the family.

I think the main thing is to remember, you can only do so much. So when it is time to be at home, be in the moment at home. You will probably have to work and re-direct your thoughts for a while, with positive speak. But eventually it will get easier to blow off.

Typically I talk to my husband about my day. That usually helps. He will listen to me while I vent and if my expectations are out of wack he will tell me. Then I try to speak positively to myself, reconfirming that I did do all I could and it is now time to move on.

Lavender and Chamomile is a great thing for relaxation. But if you are not in control of your thoughts you will still be stressed out at the end of the day. So start thinking of ways you can talk positively to yourself and your situation.

I also read my Bible when stressed and pray about the issue.

Hope that helps and was not to long to read through. ;)
  • RedHeadChick
    RedHeadChick Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Also if you stress out too much you can wear out your adrenals. This can cause restless sleep or no sleep at all. So make sure you are taking care of your body and eat clean and healthy foods that will fuel all your systems. It is super important!
  • kayla220220
    Options
    im a law student
    and ill honesty when im stressed i just go shower lol
    if i had a pool i would go swim
    water is very calming
  • kayla220220
    Options
    im a law student
    and ill honesty when im stressed i just go shower lol
    if i had a pool i would go swim
    water is very calming
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I'm so used to being stressed, that when I'm not stressed out, I'll actually stress out because I'll feel like there IS something I should be stressed about! Hahah!

Yoga, tea, and rock music :) Although they don't completely solve my problems, they help a lot.

I hope things get better for you, hang in there!