So I'm going to lift weights on Weds..

Options
..and I'm wondering how many different exercises I should do..

When I used to lift 12+ years ago, I'd do 3 sets of 3 different machines/exercises.. I just did that because it was kind of a "makes sense..*shrugs*" kind of feeling.. but should I be doing more or less sets w/more or less weight? Or is that something I just need to decide for myself?

I'm not trying to get bulky, but I'd like to get some muscle going under this teddy bear exterior before it all (hopefully) melts away..

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Look into Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5.
  • brandenocs
    brandenocs Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm big on picking 4-6 exercises, doing 4-6 sets of each for 6-10 reps. But I'm also doing heavy weight to build mass. So lighter weight, more reps, that should work for you.
  • anamikaraks
    anamikaraks Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I just started doing the "New Rules of Lifting" routines. They are nice because it's all spelled out. You might check out the book at the library or find it at a bookstore....
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    If you are only going to lift 1 day a week. Keep them all complex movements(compound) and keep them basic. I don't think doing the machines that tend to isolate muscle groups are going to benefit you as much as using exercises that use as much of the body as possible on each set. Power clean to an over head press is one good one that comes to mind.
  • liveinthemix
    liveinthemix Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Awesome advice!!

I'm thinking about going on saturdays too.. but .. well.. baby steps!!

Thanks all!!
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Yup. small steps. And don't go overboard the 1st day. No need to get so sore you can't wipe your butt after a dump. haha. Even extremly light weight on a new movement is going to make you a bit sore if you are really new to this.
  • liveinthemix
    liveinthemix Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I definitely will go at what I consider "medium" weight.. I need the ability to wipe!! It's essential! lol!