shin splints

Options
i just started training for a marathon and started running last week....well jogging.
I have shin splints so bad I cannot jog any more. It is so painful Im in tears.
I have not jogged in 5 days and it is not getting better at all.
I use icy hot like its going out of style, I've been eating advil like candy, I bought inserts for my running shoes, I have used a compression wrap on my shins, I alternate heat and ice, massaged them, taped them..... nothing is helping!!!

Any one have any other suggestions???

Replies

• kkauz42
    kkauz42 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    have you tried ice massage? fill a dixie cup with water and freeze it then massage it on your shins.
  • jessilynne17
    Options
    There's a very small bottle of leg cramp medicine at walmart. Actually says leg cramps on the label. Only thing I have found to take care of shin splints when they get that bad. Hang in there! Ice is the right thing.
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    The shoes made all the difference in the world for me. I went to a place called "Runners", they watched me walk & fit me with shoes to correct my over pronating. No more shin splints since. Was worth the money for good shoes.
  • ryan1012
    ryan1012 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    In a sitting position, trace the alphabet on the floor with your toes. Do this with each leg. Or alternate walking on your heels for 30 seconds with 30 seconds of regular walking. Repeat four times. These exercises are good for both recovery and prevention. Try to do them three times a day.

I believe I read this on runners world, but it worked for me...give it a try.
  • JRhinoC
    Options
    Shin splints that don't go away within a few minutes after you stop running are usually micro fractures in the shin and usually take you off your feet for a few weeks. Go see a doctor.

You can push through shin splints, but you have to know when to push and when not to. You push when you're not supposed to and your down, much like you are now.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I get really bad shin splints when I run. I always just stop running when it gets painful and stretch while the muscles are warm. Stretching them cold doesn't seem to help much; I have to walk or do some light exercise first. I stretch my shins by stretching my legs out, pointing my toes, then lifting my toes up, and alternating between the two. I increase my running very gradually to not aggravate my shin splints.
  • shamrock75
    shamrock75 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    When I got them a few years ago from jumping rope with bad form, I used the soft flexible blue ice packs, and just aced them onto my shins. I bought 6 of them and just kept rotating them, as soon as they weren't cold anymore, I would put new ones on.
  • bumflapassassin
    bumflapassassin Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I also went to a running shop and had an assessment to get the best shoes for my running style. I still get shin splints if I'm not careful but it's not every time I try to run, which is how it used to be. I did not find anything that really helped the pain though, sorry.

...sorry I just remembered that stretching was actually very useful too.
  • Jolenebib
    Jolenebib Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Try stretching (before and after) and icing both sides of the shin after working are the best. Stretching and strengthening your calf and anterior muscle will make a huge difference to prevent them. And definitely shoes. I usually do heal-to-toe walks, on heal-toes-up walks, and ball of foot walking, with toes in, out and neutral for all, before and after every run.
  • twilight_princess
    twilight_princess Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    When I first started running I got these real bad. I still call myself a beginner at running, I run about 5 miles a week, but I get no problems other than lactic acid now. I've been doing a 20mins pilates work-out after each cardio and it really seems to relieve my body of any aches. Even when I have no energy I still do it as it really helps me recover from an intense work-out.

You may be going to hard too soon. Or conversely you may need to go more often to 'train' your leg muscles. Also I started doing strength training in my legs as my heart can still go for longer but my legs let me done and I'm doing some good runs now.
  • rfarinha
    rfarinha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    When I was in High School (oh so long ago...), I got shin splints. Taping it used to help! But I would definitely see a doctor if you stopped running 5 days ago, and you still have severe pain.
  • rglasspell
    Options
    The P90X X-Stretch does specific exercises for shin splints. If you can get your hands on it...
  • iHEARTcardiacnurses
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tvs13yPbY5w

I was about to post a topic about these too! I've been walking more than I ever have in my life and so far nothing has helped. Here's a link to the youtube video for the P90X X-stretch.