Whatchya Packin?

Options
I have school from 3-930 at night on tues and thurs and i pack a lunch/dinner(sometimes i eat lunch at home before i leave) so i dont get home and eat late at night. I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas on what to pack cuz im getting tires of eating the same things over and over again! And mind you there is no microwave :/ ....i just need some low calorie ideas! thank you!

Replies

• celeste_xo
    Options
    I personally LOVE peanut butter sandwiches on some super grainy bread. I bring those to class a lot when I have long days. The bread and peanut butter give lots of fiber, which keeps you full for quite some time after eating. I also like packing fiber one bars as snacks - sweet but not super high in calories and fiber to keep you full :).
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options
    have you considered getting a thermos? that would open up your options considerably.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    hi - my hubby is a college professor and teaches those hours.......I just sent him off with a thermos full of veggie soup. He loves it, appreciates the hot food.

There are a lot of lo cal items that can be packed, either hot or cold.
  • jfe224
    Options
    Go to Costco and get those hummus snack packs (4 oz = 120 calories) and some carrots or cucumber or other veggie for dipping! It's a good healthy snack and tastes good, too. Also Greek yogurt is another good, healthy option that has more protein than regular yogurt.
  • nedbun
    nedbun Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Pasta salad is a great thing to throw in the mix. You can change the ingredients and get something tasty. Tuna is also one of my favorites; it can go into a sandwich or a salad, or with pasta!

Lettuce wraps are great, too if you like to get something with a crunch. It's difficult not having a way to heat up the food, but try to be creative about it when you go shopping and look at different foods.

Also, don't be afraid of some "assembly." A lot of times "building" your food before you eat makes it a lot more appetizing!
  • jmvh59
    jmvh59 Posts: 97
    Options
    I like apples, oranges, bananas, C.R.A.P. (Chocolate, raisins and peanuts), granola bars, string cheese, and olives for snacking and lunchy sides. Soup is a pretty good low calorie main course option. You can heat it beforehand and put it in a thermos if you do not have access to a microwave.

Hope that helps!
  • Kslice39
    Kslice39 Posts: 146
    Options
    have you considered getting a thermos? that would open up your options considerably.

where could you get a cheap one? like walmart or something? i never thought of that before!
  • sarah_boombah
    sarah_boombah Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I agree that soup is great. I usually have a cup-a-soup for lunch at work and then freeze some breadrolls and bring them with me as I need them. Then I have some fruit to go with :)
  • ChristyU74
    ChristyU74 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I will sometimes make chicken salad (with lite mayo or plain Greek yogurt) on Sunday night, and pack that for a few days for lunch. I also make wraps with hummus, lettuce, carrots, red peppers, cucumbers, feta cheese and a squirt of lemon juice. So good! I almost always pack yogurt, cheese sticks, wheat thins with a Laughing Cow cheese spread and some fruit.

A thermos is a container that keeps things hot! :)
  • ChristyU74
    ChristyU74 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I will sometimes make chicken salad (with lite mayo or plain Greek yogurt) on Sunday night, and pack that for a few days for lunch. I also make wraps with hummus, lettuce, carrots, red peppers, cucumbers, feta cheese and a squirt of lemon juice. So good! I almost always pack yogurt, cheese sticks, wheat thins with a Laughing Cow cheese spread and some fruit.

A thermos is a container that keeps things hot! :)
  • TrishaLeighNelson
    TrishaLeighNelson Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite wraps -light flatout bread, fat free strawberry cream cheese, turkey/ham/chicken, lettuce and bacon if you want a few more calories. Sounds odd, but it's truly DELICOUS! W/o bacon its less than 200 calories

Sandwich - Aunt millies 35 calorie bread 3 pieces toasted with spinach, tomato and turkey/chicken/ham, also under 200 calories

Salad- Spinach, romaine, dried cranberries, apple slices, raspberry merlot dressing, a little bit of fat free crumbled bleu cheese with grilled chicken on top, delicious! Also, under 200 calories
  • TrishaLeighNelson
    TrishaLeighNelson Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite wraps -light flatout bread, fat free strawberry cream cheese, turkey/ham/chicken, lettuce and bacon if you want a few more calories. Sounds odd, but it's truly DELICOUS! W/o bacon its less than 200 calories

Sandwich - Aunt millies 35 calorie bread 3 pieces toasted with spinach, tomato and turkey/chicken/ham, also under 200 calories

Salad- Spinach, romaine, dried cranberries, apple slices, raspberry merlot dressing, a little bit of fat free crumbled bleu cheese with grilled chicken on top, delicious! Also, under 200 calories
  • bluemd21
    bluemd21 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    some of my favorite things to pack when a microwave isn't around:

-This might be weird, but it's my version of an easy To-Go Greek "salad": I cut up a some cucumbers into small pieces, halve some cherry tomatoes, and chop up some olives and red onion (sometimes I add any other veggies I have sitting around). I add just a little but of crumbled feta, and squirt on some light Italian or greek dressing. I sometimes make a big batch and divide it into Tupperware containers in advance to just grab and go in the morning (if you're going to do that, don't squirt on the dressing until the day of). I like this because, without the lettuce, it keeps for a lot longer, and changes up the boring salad routine

-sandwiches with those great "thin-which" things mean you can add some delicious toppings (like cheese!) and still have a lower-cal sandwich because the thin slices eliminate all the extra calories and carbs

-cut up and apple and dip it in almond butter

-I love the single-serve cottage cheese that I find at my grocery store

-make your own trail mix. I usually use multigrain cheerios, almonds, and dried fruit of some sort, (watch out because this can get high-calorie if your portion is large).
  • angmora
    Options
    When I was working full time in a medical practice I had to rush to snack or eat. i got real good at stashing quick snacks.
    any granola bar
    Kellogs 90 cal bar
    carrot sticks
    cucumber sticks
    hard boiled egg
    beef jerky
    home made snack mix- any nuts, raisins, dried mango, dried cherry, raisins...
    laughing cow cheese and crackers
    boost shakes or atkins shakes- both don't taste great and have a meals worth of calories.... but I used to keep one with me at all times cuz it I was hungry it would save me from binging!!

as far as made meals you can leave anything already prepared at room temp for 4 hours.... Just like as a kid you used to(ok maybe I'm old) hang your lunch in the classroom at 8am and eat it at noon. :)
    room temp noodles in sauce isn't bad
    baked potato with broccoli and sour cream
    baked acorn squash with sugar
    baked squash prepped like noodles with tomato sauce

good luck to you!
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I will not use a microwave for any reason, so I'm pretty experienced at packing lunch!

I eat a lot of fruit, and salads, and the occasional TLT sandwich (tempeh, lettuce, tomato).

I also have a wide-mouth thermos, which I fill with things like:

cooked oatmeal and dried fruit
    cooked quinoa and toppings
    homemade veggie soup
    hot baked squash
    spaghetti
    rice and beans
    hot fajita veggies to go with a tortilla packed separately...

I have a hot water faucet available at work, so I also, occasionally, use packets of instant oatmeal. Yeah, you can also use just regular oatmeal and dried fruit, and just let it sit a few minutes, but I haven't gotten that organized yet! :)
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options

where could you get a cheap one? like walmart or something? i never thought of that before!

Yup. I got my girls' thermoses at Wal-Mart. Worth their weight in gold!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Boiled eggs, fruit, baby carrots
  • Kslice39
    Kslice39 Posts: 146
    Options
    OOOOH! I LOVE these ideas! keep 'em coming! lol! i never thought of some of these before! I need to change things up!
  • Majunta
    Majunta Posts: 575
    Options
    Great ideas! Bumping for later.
  • Herownself
    Herownself Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Fill the thermos with HOT water while you make your lunch and it will stay warm even longer. I even stuff a low cal burrito in there to keep it warm. No fat beans, low fat cheese and carb balance whole wheat tortillas. Pack a little hot sauce in a separate container and dip away.

You could also just use your thermos for some hot tea or low cal hot coco for a nice treat. WTG with your studies.