Half Marathon in the Rain...HELP!!

Options
I am registered to run a half marathon on Sunday and the weather forecast is for rain with temps 50-55* and 10 mph winds. I have NEVER run in the rain...not even a training run!! I know there are many of you who live in places like the midwest, Oregon, Seattle, etc., who run in the rain, sleet, snow, freezing rain, etc., so please don't slam me, but I live in San Diego, CA. It only rains here a few days a year, so it isn't something I get to practice very often. I am not going to whimp out!! I would love advice from those of you with experience with this...please give me all your tips on what to wear and how to prepare for running a half marathon in the rain. I may need to go buy some gear. Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions!! Tammy

Replies

• laurabcarey20
    laurabcarey20 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've lived in the Pacific Northwest my entire life and ran the Portland half marathon last year in the pouring rain. I'd definitely recommend wearing a hat to keep rain out of your face and clothing that isn't cotton. That way your clothes won't get heavy and absorb the rain! While you're running, try your best not to step in puddles. Somehow, my feet remained somewhat dry, but just be careful! :) I wouldn't stress about it too much, running in the rain can actually be kind of refreshing! I'm sure you'll do great! Good luck!!
  • biddysaurus
    biddysaurus Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Don't wear a shirt everyone can see through when it gets wet! LOL On a more serious note, I ran one in the rain once before and it actually wasn't too bad...was kinda soothing. They do make waterproof jackets (I didn't have one!). I wish you the best. I actually was very lucky and didn't get any blisters or chaffing from it. However, once I stopped running I nearly froze to death so if you can get someone to meet you at the finish with a blanket that'd be awesome! Oh and get your running shoes off ASAP and let them dry completely or they'll smell terrible for forever! Lesson learned!! And I don't even have stinky feet most of the time! Sheesh!

edited to fix my spelling...argh
  • lelugray
    lelugray Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You can do this. Maybe you will get lucky. But otherwise, you should practice running this week in a rain poncho or hood - it's better to know now how that feels.
  • MissMichellemybelle
    Options
    Hi! Good luck on your race this weekend!

I live in Chicago (read: tons of rain, snow, sleet, really any kind of precipitation...)

I personally love running in the rain. 1) It makes me feel like a total badass and 2) It keeps me cool while running

A couple things I've learned though:

Run with an absorbent headband. The water dripping from your hair in your face can be really annoying. If you have a headband (or hat) that helps.

Run with a sweat wicking shirt/jacket. You just don't want the weight/itchiness of cotton on your skin when its soaking wet.

Make sure your Ipod is covered/tucked in to your zip pocket or something, don't want to get zapped.

Just be careful if the pavement is wet so you don't slip or step in a huge puddle getting your shoes totally soaked and miserable (Yep...have done that one too)
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    At my last half, (ME) it rained the whole time. That's a little exaggeration, it only drizzled from mile 9 to 9.5. But seriously, it rained every step. Not a total down pour, but enough to make it not as much fun as I was hoping for. It was about the same temperature as you're describing, so it wasn't cold and miserable. It was very doable.

I wore a rain jacket - didn't help. I could literally wring my shorts out and did throughout the event.

One thing I would suggest is wear Body Glide on places where your clothing might rub. Don't expect a PR. And remember .. life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance *RUN* in the rain.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Running in the rain only makes it more fun! 50-55F is basically the perfect temp for running; honestly, I prefer it even a bit cooler. Wear technical fabrics instead of a cotton T-shirt, which will just absorb the water and get heavy... then go out there and kick some butt! I ran the Baltimore half marathon a few weeks back in 20+ mph sustained winds, so can relate to having some pre-race weather-related jitters. I'm sure you'll do great!
  • jmvh59
    jmvh59 Posts: 97
    Options
    First of all, don't psych yourself out! The rain and lower temps will be pretty nasty compared to the normal San Diego climate. However, running generates heat and you sweat because of it. In the rain, your body will not need to sweat as much to cool off. In fact, if you are really exerting yourself, rain and wind feel pretty darn nice.

Personally, I do not care so much for rain in my eyes. I have a gore-tex boonie hat my wife gave me for Christmas that I wear when walking/hiking/running/kayaking in the rain. I love it. I would not recommend a raincoat or waterproof windbreaker, because it will get pretty hot running that distance, and you'll probably toss it around mile 5.

Wet feet and running can get pretty miserable. I hope your shoes and socks can handle being in the rain for two hours or so. Watch out for puddles. Depending on your preference I would try one of two extremes: thick wooly hiking socks or thin synthetic wicking socks. Try both types and figure out what you like better.

Good luck.
  • kobzal
    kobzal Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I just ran a half marathon yesterday in the rain (Santa Clarita, just north of Los Angeles). When it rains, I wear a brimmed hat or visor, a lightweight longsleeved top I can take off and tie around my waist and tightfitting running capris or leggings that won't soak up extra water.

It's kind of fun to run in the rain, just bring a dry change of clothes for the ride home (including shoes and socks).
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 10k in the rain with temps around 40. It felt wonderful!

I'm normally drenched with sweat anyway, so it was nice feeling cool instead of sweltering. I wore a baseball cap to keep the rain out of my eyes, a fleece zipper front jacket, over a wicking top, and capris. I changed into a dry tshirt and jacket as soon as it was over, but I didn't feel chilled during the race at all.
  • pepperedmoth
    pepperedmoth Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I love running in the rain so much that I go out of my way to do so! When I'm at home relaxing and look out the window and see is start to come down, that's it, I'm into my running clothes and out the door. Seriously. It's great. Don't freak out!

The only things I do differently are to make extra sure I'm not wearing my glasses or any cotton (especially not cotton socks) and to put my iPhone into a Ziplock baggie. I don't own any running shirts that are see-through when wet, and anyway my sports bras have good coverage.

I ran a half in October in drizzle. I was only disappointed it didn't rain more . . . I love how cooling it is, how I don't get as thirsty, how the sweat is washed away . . . I love pounding through puddles and the feel of rain on my skin. I like the sound and the color of the sky and how everyone thinks I'm being really hard core when I'm actually just having a blast. I've unexpectedly great times while running in the rain, too. You're going to have a great time! Good luck!
  • tamcrit
    tamcrit Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the positive encouragement...keep the tips coming!!
  • eixxie
    Options
    I ran my first half during hurricane Irene. I had never run in any kind of rain before, so it was definitely a different experience. I wore a hat which worked well to keep the water out of my eyes, and wrapped my iPod in a baggie and used a cheap pair of headphones that I didn't care about getting wet. Watch out for giant puddles too... that wasn't fun at mile 5. :)
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I am registered to run a half marathon on Sunday and the weather forecast is for rain with temps 50-55* and 10 mph winds. I have NEVER run in the rain...not even a training run!! I know there are many of you who live in places like the midwest, Oregon, Seattle, etc., who run in the rain, sleet, snow, freezing rain, etc., so please don't slam me, but I live in San Diego, CA. It only rains here a few days a year, so it isn't something I get to practice very often. I am not going to whimp out!! I would love advice from those of you with experience with this...please give me all your tips on what to wear and how to prepare for running a half marathon in the rain. I may need to go buy some gear. Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions!! Tammy

So how did it go??? Hope it was a great success. :smile:
  • tamcrit
    tamcrit Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the encouragement and advice, it will come in handy when I actually have to run in the rain. After all the worrying and stressing, the weather turned out to be PERFECT!! It poured rain on Saturday, so I was worried, but it all cleared out and was absolutely beautiful yesterday for the race!! It was clear and sunny...the temp in the morning was about 50, but warmed to about 60-65 by the end of the race, with a nice ocean breeze, but not too windy...just cool enough that I did not overheat and did not need a lot of hydration. I had an amazing run and pulled out a PR, finally breaking past 2:30...finished in 2:29:14!! It was a great race!! Thanks again :) Tammy