Why Mfp and have you followed ww or sw before Mfp??

Options
hi all I have always followed ww or sw and have never done an online tracking system so was just wondering if anyone else has done these plans before and why did u decide to come to Mfp? What keeps you motivated online and not in a group? I'm just worried that I won't have enough support or give up easily as I'm doing it on my own from home?? Xxx

Replies

• SunsetWinds
    Options
    I haven't had any success with a points system and I really don't enjoy meetings with strangers. With mfp I have a select group of people who I don't mind "weighing in" in front of on my friends list, and watching them lose weight motivates me to lose it too.
  • smarterthanyoda
    Options
    I quit WW years ago because their online software was so bad. It might be better now...

You'll find tons of support here on MFP if you look for it. Just start friending people.
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    MFP is convenient too - I can add in food/exercise calories on the go...
  • Majunta
    Majunta Posts: 575
    Options
    I have tried all the fee based programs available. IMHO it's just paying someone to weigh me weekly. Regarding support, at WW you meet once a week for an hour...that's all the support you get unless you pay more to get online. The other fee programs allows for one-on-one type meetings that last a whopping 20 minutes if you're lucky.

At MFP, support is available any time day or night, for as long as you want for as many minutes or hours you want...PLUS ITS FREE. Weightloss is about you; you make the choices; healthy or not healthy. There are so many people willing to support; so many groups to join that keep you motivated and many different ways to look at losing weight. Having enough support on MFP depends on you!

Nothing is better than MFP.
  • louiseburrows12
    Options
    Thank u :-) I'm hoping to shift some pounds andnget more active x
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I used WW back when I was in High School (about 10 years ago), online wasn't what it is now so I did the meetings in person. I found that I was able to lose weight but it really only had a little to do with their program and a lot to do with my desire to get skinny (note I didn't say healthy). I actually didn't get much support or encouragement from them. And I learned almost nothing about healthy eating habits and healthy lifestyle choices. The MFP community has helped me learn from all kinds of people and opened me up to healthy vs just getting thinner. Without the readily available support and feedback from MFP I don't think I would still be sticking with it. The people on this website are generally positive, supportive and willing to listen, suggest and encourage anytime of day or night.

I will admit WW has probably changed over the years and my experience was one persons point of view, others may have had better luck. But I like my peeps here on MFP! :love:
  • sryan8408
    Options
    So my story is when WW was on the points system I lost around 11 pounds for my wedding on there. Pretty great system. Fast forward 2 years and I've gained it all back and then some. I decided to join WW again, well they moved to the new points plus system. They now listed what used to be water as liquids, all fruits are no points while most veggies had points still. It wasn't working for me. I am also a small amount under 5ft so not every plan will always work for me because I am not near average height. But low and behold after 2 months on points plus with maybe a 2 lb loss, I found MFP and I love it. Keeps me accountable to have friends and I thrive on competition! I do miss the articles on WW but thats about it.
  • santini1975
    santini1975 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I found the MFP phone app and liked that I could just scan the barcode on the food I buy with my phone and the app does all the rest! It subtracts my workout calories. It even finds the calories of food you order at restaurants. I love it!
    Have not done WW but I'm on Nutrisystem and have had amazing results. the Nutrisystem community is not very active and is pretty clique-y, so I just come here for support.
    Good luck and feel free to add me. Check out some of the challenges in the support forums. They are great for holding you accountable and making short term goals to keep you hanging in there.
  • mwilke
    mwilke Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I had never done any sort of diet plans or calorie tracking before. So this was my first go round with it. I joined because at the time I had an iphone and could easily track my food on the go. A lot of what keeps me motivated online is that, with reading the posts in the threads, I realize that a lot of people have the same struggles and are facing the same demons that I am. So, while I have not met them, I can still talk to them and see what is working for them and maybe get some ideas for tackling the issue in another way. Also, actually looking at what I eat is a motivation, because I can see how my choices are affecting my health directly instead of just thinking about it in the abstract. As far as not having enough support, I would not worry about that too much. I have already gotten a lot of support from people here. Everyone is very encouraging and cheers you on. Since a lot of us are on here for the same reason, there is no judgement- just advice on how they are handling it and such.