Net calories

I'm a little confused...
Am i supposed to eat all my daily goal calories to lose weight? Stay under it?

How many net calories should I have all together after exercise and food tracking is all said and done?

Replies

• Rmcginnis44
    Rmcginnis44 Posts: 1 Member
    The amount of calories alloted to you for the day are less than what you would burn under the criteria you specified. You can eat up to the calories allotted and additional in you excercise and input your calories lost.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    if the numbers are still green, you can eat and still lose, generally.
    youll want to eat your base calories, plus any you earn from exercising
  • GuillaineC
    GuillaineC Posts: 74 Member
    You can eat up to your calorie goal, but if you want you can eat your exercise calories too. But the net calores is your goal minus exercise.
  • Try to stay real close to the goal calories that MFP suggests. If you're a little over or a little under, it's okay. I'm often under by 100 or 200 calories, but I don't stress if I'm over by 50 or 60 on other days. (Shoot, if I go out to the wrong restaurant, I'm over by 900 sometimes.) but at the end of the day, when you click the green button at the bottom of your diary, it'll tell you that "if every day were like today, you'd weigh ... in 5 weeks". If the number you see in that statement is within your goal, you know you're doing okay.

If you eat too little, MFP will warn you, and suggest that you eat more. If you continue eat too little, your body will react as if it's starving, and start burning muscle and storing fat.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    When you set up your account, MFP calculated your calorie goals based on your activity level and the weight loss goal you entered. When you log exercise, you will have those calories added to your daily allowance, as you need them to fuel your workouts.

Eat as close as you can to your alotted calories, including your exercise calories (although you will find opinions on exercise cals vary greatly and it can be a hot topic!) Pay attention to your macros (carbs, fat, protein), and try to get as much nutrition as you can within the calories you eat. This can be particularly tough if you are set at 1200 cals and don't wish to exercise.

Read the Newbie Posts for more info and better explanations.

Good luck and welcome to MFP!
  • SKHaz1
    SKHaz1 Posts: 145 Member
    SO is there a range that my net should be in?
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,519 Member
    Personally, I don't log my activity. I simply stay consistent with everything, and adjust my calorie goal if I need to.
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 549 Member
    As close to, but not over your goal as possible. Some days, for me, this means 10 less and others it is a few hundred depending on how much I exercised.