Work sitting on my fanny for 8 hours a day

Options
Looking for ways to exercise... usually run errands during my lunch 1/2 hour break. Park the farthest from the door but any other ways to burns some calories would be welcome!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    You can get a mini-stepper for under your desk.
    http://www.amazon.com/Body-Max-BMS300-Lateral-Mini-Stepper/sim/B002JB40OA/2

You can also sit on a stability ball instead of a chair :D
  • biddysaurus
    biddysaurus Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    stand up and do squats, calf raises, etc... take a resistance band and do some arm toning. I set a timer every hour to remind myself to stand up and do something...anything rather than sitting. ;)
  • LRH64
    LRH64 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Are there stairs in your building? If you get a break, use it to walk the stairs. Great workout for you legs and your endurance.
  • Ewhite5
    Ewhite5 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I work 12s and 18s sitting on my fanny. 911 dispatcher
  • mwilke
    mwilke Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I t hink it depends on the type of job you have too. I also sit 8 hours a day at work. But half the time I feel like it's a school or something. They don't like us getting up and moving because we lose productivity then. They are all about making money, it seems. Some of the leads get pretty agitated if they think you are not working...
  • groovycol
    Options
    This is a challenge for me, too. Here's what I do. Wear a pedometer, and try to get a certain number of steps per day. some people aim for 10,000, but you need to start where you are. Wear one for a day, and then see how many steps at the end, and then add 1000 steps as a goal. Then here's how I meet that goal in the office:

*drink lots of water. It helps with weight loss and makes you pee.
    * walk to the farthest bathroom when you have to pee
    *or after each time you pee, walk the corridors of the building before going back to your desk.
    * My office is on the 3rd floor. I always use the stairs, and walk down to the first floor 2 or 3 times a day, sometimes, just to walk the corridors and not because I need to go down there.
    * I walk a 1 mile route at 4pm each day with a co-worker. We get outside (most days) get some fresh air, and though it used to take us nearly 20 minutes, it now takes us 15-17 minutes depending on how fast we walk and how much we talk.

Best of luck to you!
    Colleen
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I also work sitting all day. I walk briskly on all my breaks (my 2 15 minutes and 30 minute lunch) This is how I got started on exericse.
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    is your bathroom a single bathroom? do sink push ups ... :D

i mean you can do it if it's not a single bathroom but you might get caught :)
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    What's your life like outside of work hours?

Is there any way to work out before/after work? I know how hard it can be and sometimes, having dedicated time for it - if possible - is your best bet. Personally, I've never had much luck with the sporadic efforts in an office job.
  • dime222
    Options
    The bathroom is a great idea - people would think I'm crazy if I got down and did push-ups by my desk, but no one can see me do twenty squats in the bathroom stall! It's much easier if you take the handicap stall - then you can do stationary lunges, too. If you go to the bathroom 3 times a day, then you've done 60 squats and lunges without taking any extra time out of your work day. It's not going to burn heaps of calories, but it will definitely make you feel better :)
  • fh1951
    fh1951 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Get up, (get on up)
    Get up, (get on up)

And then, shake your money maker,
    Shake your money maker,
    Shake your money maker,
    Shake your money maker,
    Shake your money maker,
    Shake your money maker,
    Shake your money maker

Get up, (get on up)
    Get up, (get on up)
    Get up, (get on up)
    Get up, (get on up)
    Get up, (get on up)

Huh!

~James Brown
  • gersoco
    gersoco Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I also work sitting all day. I walk briskly on all my breaks (my 2 15 minutes and 30 minute lunch) This is how I got started on exericse.

Wow thank you for that great idea! Walking during breaks at work is so simple that it's brilliant!!!
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Get up, (get on up)
    Get up, (get on up)

And then, shake your money maker,
    Shake your money maker,
    Shake your money maker,
    Shake your money maker,
    Shake your money maker,
    Shake your money maker,
    Shake your money maker

Get up, (get on up)
    Get up, (get on up)
    Get up, (get on up)
    Get up, (get on up)
    Get up, (get on up)

Huh!

~James Brown

If JB can't do it for ya, nuthin can! Great advice FH!
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Throughout the work day, I do two things that keep the fact that I need to MOVE it in the back of my mind:

At some point in the day, I pop into an empty office or conference room, close the door, and drop and give myself at least ten pushups. The lowly pushup. I cannot tell you enough how much it has helped me with everything else.

There is an exit that leads to outside with one flight of stairs. I make it a point to get outside at least once a day, even if it's just for a minute or two, but when I come back in, I RUN HARD up the stairs.

I try to keep things simple, but I find that if I do those two things every single day, they keep me in the game and help keep me motivated to do more stuff after and before work. Because, well, you just gotta!

Be well!
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Hate being cooped up in the office.... I am on floor 8 - so once a day I try to take the stairs, I used to do it more but got lazy.
    Breaks and lunch I am always leaving the building - always. Getting outside and moving around is heaven after sitting for hours!

I get an hour for lunch and have a gym behind my building so that's enough to get in about a 40 min workout - leaving time to shwr and get back. Some weeks I have errands and things and I do those on lunch but it still takes me out of the office and walking around.

I also go down a few floors to a diff ladies room and take stairs back. I make frequent trips to the water cooler/break room.

Some of my coworkers never leave the building... I don't know how they don't go insane.