Water Pills? Advice?

Options
Hello MyFitnessPal peoples!

I have a question for you...I've been feeling a bit swollen lately and started reading up on water pills. I found some at GNC that seem like they would work but I'm still a little skeptical because I hate take medicine/pills anyways.

Is this a good idea? Experience? Recommendations?

Replies

• lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I'd try to figure out why you're feeling a bit swollen, first. If you've had a lot of sodium lately, or getting that PMS type of bloat, taking a pill won't hurt. But, you don't want to cover the symptoms if something else is going on - you need to find out what's wrong and treat the cause.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    If you're swollen it's likely that you're just dehydrated. Up your water for a few days and that will flush you out. I wouldn't recommend a water pill unless your doctor prescribes one for you.
  • lauralizzy90
    Options
    I'm almost completely certain PMS is causing it because that's when it started. However, its been a few days since I stopped and it hasn't gone away (when the swelling is normally gone one day after). Thanks!
  • lauralizzy90
    Options
    I drank 10 cups yesterday in hopes to kick start that process so I'll keep that up to see what happens. :)
  • lucylue21
    Options
    what is a water pill? i have alwasy wondered this.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Bad idea.

Also, GNC is known to sell counterfeit products..
  • BrandyRelaxing
    BrandyRelaxing Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I haven't used water pills, but I know B6 is a natural diuretic. It does work to get rid of fluid, but you do need to drink more to keep hydrated - it's a catch 22 - drink more to lose water... but it does work!
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    In pro bodybuilding (as opposed to natural), about one of the only drug they test for is diuretics, and that is due to fatalities on them.

Try dandelion tea.
  • lauralizzy90
    Options
    Oh good Lord, I did not realize that. I have plenty of B6, though! About how much water are you supposed to take with them to balance it out? I drink at least 64 oz a day.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I prefer the drops.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options

It's a diuretic commonly abused by those with eating disorders.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    You don't need a pill, just drink more water. The more your body needs water, the more it will hold on to what it does have (thus the water retention and swelling). The more you drink to get at the proper hydrated levels, the more your body will allow to flush the water out.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    but I'm still a little skeptical because I hate take medicine/pills anyways.

Is this a good idea?
    Didn't you answer your own question??
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options

It's a diuretic commonly abused by those with eating disorders.

yeah, way to generalize that one...it's abused by a lot of people. not just people with eating disorders. just say it's a diuretic.

laura, i would just try to flush your system out with water for a few days...if you've had alcohol or a lot of sodium or a lot of sugar it could be what's causing all of the bloating. you're body will even out :)
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Drink more water!
  • Xtina_Beba
    Options
    Bad idea.

Also, GNC is known to sell counterfeit products..

Agreed! I worked at GNC... :(
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Hello MyFitnessPal peoples!

I have a question for you...I've been feeling a bit swollen lately and started reading up on water pills. I found some at GNC that seem like they would work but I'm still a little skeptical because I hate take medicine/pills anyways.

Is this a good idea? Experience? Recommendations?
    To lose water, drink more water.