Greek yogurt

Options
Looking for another alternative for Greek Yogurt - I normally eat Chobani yogurt - mango or pineapple on a daily basis - love it. But it is loaded with lots of sugar - any other suggestions?

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Looking for another alternative for Greek Yogurt - I normally eat Chobani yogurt - mango or pineapple on a daily basis - love it. But it is loaded with lots of sugar - any other suggestions?

i have done the plain and added suger free jam to it.
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I use plain yogurt and add in my own fruit with no sugar. If you like the thickness of the greek yogurt you could just strain plain yogurt. (That's all they do to make it thicker but the whey that is strained off has good calcium in it.)
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    also you can do amazing things with ricotta cheese.
  • basenji
    basenji Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    How about get the plain but add some fresh fruit. I like to add diced apples and cinnamon to the Chobani Plain 0%.
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Buy it plain and then you can control what you add to it. I add a little bit of honey and frozen blueberries (because when they thaw they really "bleed" into the yogurt and add some yummy natural sweetness).
  • LynneGG
    LynneGG Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I used to be a die hard Chobani fan but have switched to Fage and I love it! From the one's I eat the sugar is lower....7gr.
  • MortalMen
    Options
    Cottage cheese is about the closest in terms of macros to greek yogurt. You're looking at:

1% Cottage Cheese 163 cal, 6g carbs, 2g fat, 28g protein 17%/5%/78%
    Greek Yogurt 0% 100 cal, 9g carbs, 0g fat, 23g protein 28%/0%/72%
    Greek Yogurt 2% 170 cal, 9g carbs, 5g fat, 23g protein 24%/14%/62%
    Yogurt 154 cal, 17g carbs, 4g fat, 13g protein 50%/12%/38%

This is per cup. So cottage cheese actually comes out ahead in ratio of protein to carbs even before you add anything for flavor. And the two are way ahead of plain yogurt.

Personally, I don't like the taste of greek yogurt plain, so I totally understand why you might not either. I still eat the Fage packs with toppings separate so I can add in as much topping as I like, but that's more a matter of convenience. Eggs also have about the same amount of protein, but I assume you're looking for dairy here, so...

Edit: Someone mentioned Ricotta, so I'll add these for convenience:

Ricotta 400 cal, 16g carbs, 28g fat, 20g protein 25%/44%/31%
    Low Fat Ricotta 240 cal, 12g carbs, 12g fat, 28g protein 23%/23%/54%

I'm not sure why the low fat version has more protein. I looked at several brands and the stats were about the same. Curious.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I love the plain yogurt with unsweetened fruit mixed in. It took me a few servings to get used to the unsweetened tartness of the fruit, but I just used a little splenda until I weaned myself off the sweetness.

I like to go to the frozen food section and pick out whatever fruit is on sale. Read the labels for sugar content though.
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    You can also add a few drops of Stevia if you want some natural sweetness without the sugar.

I like to combine yogurt, berries and cottage cheese.

Sometimes ricotta with a little vanilla and stevia hits the spot for a dessert.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I mix in a tablespoon of peanut butter and a packet of stevia to Chobani plain non fat yogurt. It's way too tangy for me to eat it plain but I love it this way!
  • MaterMama
    Options
    I like to mix in a scoop of whey protein (choose flavor) into 1/2 -1 cup of plain 0% greek yogurt. Less then 10 for the sugar and LOTS of protein.

This morning I did 1 cup of plain 0% greek yogurt mixed with 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder and 1 cup plain canned pumpkin with cinnamon. It was very filling and I actually couldn't even finish it. I am saving the rest for a snack later in the day but its all already counted in my breakfast section of my diary.
  • stefnicole
    Options
    That pumpkin recipe sounds delicious! I'll have to try it!
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Plain greek with your own fresh fruit and granola - delish.

I get whatever brand is on sale - Fage, Chobani, and taste of inspiration (my store brand) all good.
  • maxxmore
    maxxmore Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the different options! I will be trying them.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I've been told you should look at the label and only buy yogurt where the protein is greater than the sugar. With Chobani, that means plain or vanilla. I usually buy plain (Chobani or Fage) and put in some wheat bran and a tsp of something on the sweet side - like coconut or maple syrup. Just a tsp. Brings the sugar up a bit, but it's still better than most.

I like the idea of adding peanut butter, though. Think I'll try some PB2 and see what it tastes like!