Back On a Healthy Road After Losing My Little Pug

Options

Replies

• poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Awww poor little pup. I was the same way when we had to put my cat down 6 years ago. I'd had him since I was 5, and he was MY cat. Slept with me every night, came when only I called him, etc. He was 15 when he died. :( I still get upset thinking about it, I miss him a lot.
  • meeko_meerkat
    meeko_meerkat Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    So sorry about your little pug - I cried as I read your post. As a soon to be veterinarian and an animal lover myself I totally understand the depth of grieving after the loss of a beloved pet. I know how hard it can be to have to watch them struggle with illness. My cat had lung cancer and although we tried our best to nurse her through it, there came a time when we couldn't watch her suffer anymore.

I'm glad you've made it through the pain and are moving forward again, its a testament to your strength of mind. Good luck with your weight loss! And don't discount getting another dog in the near future, they make any day brighter :)
  • minxonastick
    Options
    @misscristie Oh a huge hug to you, my friend in pugs. They are just the sweetest, goofiest dogs. I've been looking at a rescue pug site, and many are one eyed with a lot of medical stuff to bear like your baby, but they are still so spunky and loving. Yoda is such a perfect name. I used to call my pug Monkey Bug. And sometimes Fruit Bat. I send all healing and warm thoughts to you and your puggie.
  • minxonastick
    Options
    @scschenk I am so sorry to read about your losses. You and your wife must be very strong. I lost my brother tragically when I was 20, and when my pug died, I felt ashamed that somehow that deep grief for my brother rose up and seemed to blur with the current grief. My brother was much worse, yet somehow there was an echoing feeling of bereftness. Thank you for understanding and sharing.
  • minxonastick
    Options
    @walkinmydoxies Thank you so much. My aunt had a doxie, and they are such comical, smart, imperious little guys. They make me laugh, just like pugs. There is a park in San Francisco with a big hill. I once saw a Dauchsund (sp?) run up the hill on his teeny legs, ears flapping, and it was a glorious sight.
  • minxonastick
    Options
    Sorry, I'm new to this message board and I realize I should have quoted posts so people knew I was replying to them.
  • minxonastick
    Options
    @CJK1959 Thank you so much. I am terribly sorry for your loss. However long we have them, it never seems long enough. I have such affection for German Shepherds. When I took my girl to "puppy kindergarten" the whole class was full of German Shepherds. My puggie was the dunce of the class, hee. Those shepherd puppies were ridiculously smart!
    So sorry about your pug...I am an animal lover too and wept when I had to put my beloved German Shepard to sleep....but so glad you are able to move forward again and are on the road to success! Good luck to you!
  • minxonastick
    Options
    @lcnelson Thank you so much for your kind words. What a sweet pup you have. Such a soulful face!
    Oh my God, your post broke my heart. I totally understand your pain and hope your heart is mending. Please Please with all of that love, get another dog to dote and love on. It will do you wonders!!
  • minxonastick
    Options
    @SMarie10 I'm so sorry for the loss of your kitty. I had many wonderful cats over my life. A cat was my pug's best friend, actually. Well, Pug considered her a best friend. My parent's cat mostly used my dog as a chew toy. :)
    I was a wreck when my beautiful cat of 17 years died in my arms. Totally understand - glad you found MFP, now go rock it
  • minxonastick
    Options
    @mskristac Thank you so much. Time really does help. My pug used to spin in furious circles when she was excited. Kind of like the pug on You Tube who spun along with the blender!
    so sorry to hear about your dog. we never forget but we slowly move on. im sure she is running laps in excitement for you :)
  • minxonastick
    Options
    @amberlangeloni Thank you so much. I always wanted multiple pugs, though the snorting can get a little deafening :) I read in a book about pugs that "Pugs are like potato chips -- you can't have just one."
    I have two pugs and I totally understand your pain. I'm so sorry for your loss. :(
  • minxonastick
    Options
    @poisongirl6485 The sadness can come back even after years. A friend of mine told me that he still chokes up sometimes thinking of his beloved first dog, who passed away many many years ago. They are imprinted on our hearts. Thank you for your kind words.
    Awww poor little pup. I was the same way when we had to put my cat down 6 years ago. I'd had him since I was 5, and he was MY cat. Slept with me every night, came when only I called him, etc. He was 15 when he died. :( I still get upset thinking about it, I miss him a lot.
  • tabik30
    tabik30 Posts: 443
    Options
    I lost my 8 year old pug, Mugsy a year ago July. He was my love, my world and I almost had a nervous breakdown. I still can't say Ive come to terms with it, but it is what it is. I still have one pug but it's not the same. I guess I just want to say I feel your pain and I totally understand where you are coming from. It's time to take care of ourselves!
  • minxonastick
    Options
    @meeko_meerkat It is SO wonderful that you are going to be a vet. The vets and vet techs that took care of Carver were amazing. They took care of me, too. I have never had such a wonderful experience with a vet. A few days after Carver died, I got a card from the hospital staff. Every one of them had signed it and at the top of the card was my baby's paw pad. They had taken an ink print of her paw after she died. Isn't that wonderful? Boy did it make me cry. Thank you on behalf of all the animals you will care for as you go forth.
    So sorry about your little pug - I cried as I read your post. As a soon to be veterinarian and an animal lover myself I totally understand the depth of grieving after the loss of a beloved pet. I know how hard it can be to have to watch them struggle with illness. My cat had lung cancer and although we tried our best to nurse her through it, there came a time when we couldn't watch her suffer anymore.

I'm glad you've made it through the pain and are moving forward again, its a testament to your strength of mind. Good luck with your weight loss! And don't discount getting another dog in the near future, they make any day brighter :)
  • minxonastick
    Options
    @tabik30 Oh I am so, so sorry. Truth be told, I almost had a complete breakdown too. My mom actually flew from NY to be with me a few days after my dog died because I completely lost it. I just felt gutted. I know how you feel. All good, healing thoughts to you.
    I lost my 8 year old pug, Mugsy a year ago July. He was my love, my world and I almost had a nervous breakdown. I still can't say Ive come to terms with it, but it is what it is. I still have one pug but it's not the same. I guess I just want to say I feel your pain and I totally understand where you are coming from. It's time to take care of ourselves!
  • AVONLADYNH
    Options
    I am so very sorry for your loss. I have 2 dogs. I lost a dog a little over a year ago who was my darlin' ! He was a brown lab and was the absolute most wonderful boy. He came down with Cushing's and he suffered with it for 3 years.

I think what we animal lovers do is look at our pets like they were our children. They are constantly with us and devoted unconditionally loving us. That's what makes it so hard to say goodbye. Max died in my house. I didn't have time to put him down. I was in the middle of entertaining guests for a Mary Kay party and was not there at the moment he passed. My heart breaks when I think about it. I always said that when he goes I want to be the last thing he sees understanding that I would never leave him by himself at the final moment. My guilt sometimes haunts me.

Since he passed, I got another dog, a bassett hound, named Lucy and she is the light of my life. Sweet, cuddly and such a cutie pie!

I believe they all go to heaven, so know that your little pug is waiting for you when your time does come. But, please do continue to take care of yourself. You are doing great now and you will soon feel the need for another faithful companion. Concentrate on you first as you are doing and you will do great! Sorry I rambled on so much about my dog.
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear that! I adore all doggies and pets, but I have an extremely soft spot for pugs. I love their smushy wushy wittle faces!!! And those curly tails OMG!!!!

I just lost my lab last week. I'm 25 and we had her since I was 12. She lived across the county in California with my dad, so I didn't even get to see her before my dad had to put her down due to a tumors. :cry: She was the family dog until my parents split when I was 15. So then she alternated between my mom and dad and loved us all equally. She got me through some rough times and she could always tell how I was feeling. It is very hard to say goodbye to someone who was a part of your life for so long, human or not. ((hugs)) Your puggie would be very proud of her owner for taking such good care of herself! Thank you for sharing your story...I bet you had no idea how many people would be so touched by it!
  • missjoci
    missjoci Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you lost you puppy. This made me so sad. We love our pets...and when they're gone, it's so hard! Sorry for your loss, but great job getting back on the wagon. Best of luck!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I've never had a dog before until I got my little Marley (Shih Tzu) and I literally have tears in my eyes reading about your pug. I know it would take me an extremely long time to get over it if my baby were to pass. :sad: :cry:

Sorry about your baby! :flowerforyou:
  • helsbels80
    helsbels80 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I never had any pets before I got my pug. He died nearly 4 years ago. I have 2 more pugs now and they are fantastic and I adore them but I still miss that boy immensely. I am so sorry for your loss, it is an awful thing to go through.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!