The wii fit

Options
Anyone use it? What do you think about it? Good results? If you use it, whats your favorite actvity on there, what ones do you think burn the most fat?

Replies

• CountryGirl00
    CountryGirl00 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Anyone use it? What do you think about it? Good results? If you use it, whats your favorite actvity on there, what ones do you think burn the most fat?
  • Shadowpaws
    Shadowpaws Posts: 109
    Options
    I personally use it to weigh myself and occasionally do the hula-hoop game. I don't think anything else really burns fat effectively unless you use it for an extended period of time.

For weighing when lacking a reliable scale though, it's awesome. :wink:
  • scousemouse0151
    Options
    hi love the WII FIT am a fan of the hulahoop it's a good way to lose inches off your hips and waist. must admit i haven't been on it for a while so might just plug it in and give it a go x enjoy
  • CountryGirl00
    CountryGirl00 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the strengh ones. I can actually do a couple push up's now. Befoer all I could do was hold myself in the air, when I went down, I was not coming back up. Tonight after easter dinner, I did 3 of them!!!!! I was soooo excited :laugh:

I also find myself sweating when I do the step one for about 20 minutes on fast speed.
  • soxygirl
    soxygirl Posts: 173
    Options
    I love my wii fit! It's a great way to supplement my exercise routine. The Hula Hoop is great, as is the Boxing for cardio, especially once you unlock the Advanced level. I just purchased 2 additional discs for it -- one skiing and one boxing -- both are really great for getting your heart rate up. Even the Tennis on the regular Wii sports disc can burn some calories if you get into it.

If you use wii for exercise, I suggest getting a HRM to monitor your calories burn so you can log it accurately!
  • flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    It is great if you stick to it, but it loses it's 'sparkle' after a few weeks. It's mainly fun and games. So I have a friend plan specific workouts that I do 3x a week and that works well. The best workout ever for me is the Boxing on Wii Sports. I try to do 30 min of that on days I can't get to the gym and I am usually soaked with sweat after 15 min. 'My Fitness Coach' is a better "game" if you're looking for a fitness oriented workout.
  • marycayn
    marycayn Posts: 2
    Options
    Just got it yesterday and I love it. It may be a little discouraging to see yourself at first (your "Mii will change "shape" depending on your fitness level), but once I got past the initial shock, I found the exercises fun and and it gives you quick "rewards". Worth the money for our family of 4 with parents who want to lose and kids who want to stay fit.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I find Wii Fit is really good at understanding good posture. I have found that as I work out and get stronger I have a better sense of my posture and center of balance. Like someone else said it is a fun way to weigh yourself, as it is one of the best scales out there.

I don't find it good as a single workout tool. I like playing the games, see how I am at dong yoga and doing the jogging in place. I have an injured knee that I had to get past before I could back to running. I found that doing the long runs on the wii fit were helpful to assessing if I was ready to go back to running on the road.

Also, it is fun for the whole family and good for motivation when they are present. My 2 year old loves to work out with mom on the Wii Fit. She has her own profile and likes to do the step aerobics, running and yoga. So it is not overly complex to use.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    We have a wii fit at home and I love it. It is not my sole exercise as I go to aa gym, swim, walk the dogs and am taking a belly dancing class. It is a fun alternative.

I love the balance games and enjoy doing the hula hoop and boxing. I think it is so cute that they use the miis from the rest of the family in the exercises.
  • bh34
    bh34 Posts: 94
    Options
    Hi Vicky,

Have you lost all 35 pounds since you joined this site in January?
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Yes I have. This site was the biggest eye opener for me. I was looking for a way to log calories and when I found out how much I was eating, it was no wonder I weighed so much.

My husband is on here too and he has lost 46 lbs since then. We go to the gym 5 - 6 times a week and are branching out in other ways to exercise.

I have never felt as healthy as I have these last few months!
  • koscar
    koscar Posts: 5
    Options
    I love the Wii Fit! I've had mine since last Sat. I also use My Fitness Coach. Do you find the Body Test to be encouraging or discouraging? Do you do a Body Test everyday??? Personally, I can't handle the the daily fluctuations of weight, and really try my best to stay away from doing a daily body test. Otherwise, I absolutely love the system--especially Fitness Coach!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I got it on day 1 and here is my opinion in the year since...

Pros-
    It can give you one hell of a workout (I've burnt 750 calories in one hour)
    Its fun
    Its a great introduction to fitness if you're not used to working out
    Great for rainy days
    Hoolahooping, Boxing, and Running are the best exercises it has to offer
    Excellent for weighing in every day (at this point its pretty much become a glorified scale for me)

Cons-
    Gets a little boring after you've unlocked everything
    Some of the exercises aren't super productive because you can't adjust the intensity enough (free step comes to mind)
    You need to really work to get a good workout from it... flailing arms, bouncing to the beat, etc. You look goofy but it works.
    It chastizes you if you don't exercise every day, or if you've gained a pound or two - this turns off some people (my girlfriend won't touch it because she won't play a 'game that yells at her')

I enjoy it, though to be honest I've let it set for some time now in lieu of other things. I still play every now and then when I feel like it. However it is an awesome scale. If you're interested, by all means get it. You can use it to create an intensive workout if you really try :)
  • bluroses
    bluroses Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I agree with just about everything you said, msarro (except I'm entertained by the snarky comments it makes - AND, on your birthday, it wears a party hat! Hee.).

My main complaint is that it takes too long to get a decent workout. Between every exercise, there is down time. If I could program it to have me working for 30 minutes straight, I think I would use it more. I still enjoy it, but don't use it much. Definitely love "My Fitness Coach," though!