So what is the consenus here? What burns more calories? Weig

Options
And to quantify this a bit, I'll submit the following situation:

Jogging at around a 10 min mile pace vs.

Triple setting weight training. ie.. bench press + pull ups + 1 min of jumrope

Just trying to figure out if I'm over or under estimating my calories burnt here.

Replies

• unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    I don't know the numbers but I know that strength training works much better for me.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    probably the jogging as the benefits of weight training are not the calories burned. Strength training burns very little calories compared to cardio, but will help keep your metabolism higher during time while not working out due to more muscle mass as well as muscle recovery from the exercise.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Chicken or the egg?

I vote HRM.
  • ibbray04
    ibbray04 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Chicken or the egg?

I vote HRM.

This made me chuckle! But I totally agree: HRM is the best way to go.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    probably the jogging as the benefits of weight training are not the calories burned. Strength training burns very little calories compared to cardio, but will help keep your metabolism higher during time while not working out due to more muscle mass as well as muscle recovery from the exercise.

In your opinion, even it HITT form, the jogging is burning more?

To clarify, this isn't a question about what is better or what has better benefits but strictly what would burn more calories during the activity itself. Because I want to log the strength traing as a type of cardio. The log here applies very little to calories as you've said. But I don't know how they are classifying that strength training. ie.. lift, sit there for 5 min, lift, sit there for 5 min, lift. In those terms, yes, very little relative calores are being burnt. But I don't work out that way.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Chicken or the egg?

I vote HRM.

This made me chuckle! But I totally agree: HRM is the best way to go.

Or this:

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

Does the same thing. Take your HR a few times, average it and enter it there for an accurate burn. It's the only thing I use and friends with HRMs say it's very accurate.
  • Kslice39
    Kslice39 Posts: 146
    Options
    cardio burns more calories in the moment but the more muscle you build up the more calories you will burn in the long run because increase muscle increased metabolism

this is kind of a cool article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/livestrongcom/the-truth-about-weight-training-vs-cardio_b_894936.html
  • brittanynhammond
    Options
    I would say the Strength Training .. Esp if you move the Jump Rope to the front ... increasing your heart rate and then moving to weights with little to no rest ... Circuts are best ...
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    I would say the Strength Training .. Esp if you move the Jump Rope to the front ... increasing your heart rate and then moving to weights with little to no rest ... Circuts are best ...

I dont' want to limit my lift potential by being out of breath. I'd rather have to push though the last 10-20 seconds of the jumprope
  • TheWizeguy
    Options
    To enter it as Cardio I'd think you'd need to know exactly how hard 'you' are working. I'd base that on heart rate. Here's my take. Start your workout, start the watch/hrm when you are done figure out what your average HR is. Next go run a 12 min mile or such and see what your heart rate is. If its the same then I'd go 20mins of cardio as 20 mins at 12 min/mile or whatever pace matches your average hr.

Just don't forget this is all an estimate. Don't get too crazy about it all.

But yeah... cardio will burn more calories then weight lifting. But... its not like you aren't burning calories while lifting. Guess! :)
  • TheWizeguy
    Options
    Ok in reality you don't 'need' to buy a heart rate monitor. Heck grab a piece of paper note how long you've been doing your jump roping, when you are done take your heart rate, a clock and your awesome counting will do the job. I'd just assume that you maintained that heart rate the whole time. Of course its probably averages a little bit lower but dude... its all an estimate.

Have you seen this? http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/instant-heart-rate-free/id409625068?mt=8

For free it might be worth trying.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    thanks. But who screwed with my title? Weig??